Occupy Wall Street

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

oth
Mass Poster

Re: Occupy Wall Street

Post by oth »

RR-ElectricAngel wrote:Man...That was really the worst thing you could do to unarmed and passive protesters. It won't be long now...

Pepper spraying of Occupy protesters at UC Davis caught on video

Published: Saturday, November 19, 2011, 3:27 PM by the Star-Ledger Continuous News Desk

SAN FRANCISCO — Occupy Wall Street protesters at the University of California's Davis campus were pepper-sprayed by a police officer while they were apparently sitting passively on the ground with locked arms, according to an Associated Press article.

A video of the incident, which was posted on YouTube, was recorded Friday as police attempted to move in on more than a dozen tents erected on the university campus. The article said 10 people were arrested, nine of them students.

In the video, posted below, a police officer displays a bottle before spraying its contents on the seated protesters. While it appears most of the protesters have their heads down, the video shows that at least one person is hit with the spray directly in the face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjnR7xET ... r_embedded
This reinforces my opinion of cops generally being moronic,brutal thug cowards.
However they are just a tool for the higher ups.Police forces around the world have always acted like this so i think how they react like this is an uncontrollable animal emotion/instinct that is triggered by protest settings.I know cops have feelings etc but i think as a person you have to draw a line as to what you are willing to do for your job and where your moral compass regarding humanity points you.This is where the dumb element of a cop allows them to act like savages.At the Nuremberg trials the excuse that "i was just following orders" didnt pass muster.Same thing here.

In the USA,protest is a right and NOT a privilege that you need a permit for(such as what many mayors,cops are claiming or trying to enforce).Again,it is our constitutional right not a privilege.

The working class has not only been ripped off by banks but now they are getting physically assaulted,beaten and denied their constitutional rights.Last month Chase Bank donated 5million,yes, to the NYPD!!!Any idiot can understand this quid pro quo relationship.It is obscene.
The OWS peeps marched in front of Chase's CEO house and he didnt like it one bit.Any parallels to the French revolution?

One thing that is genius about ows is : non violence approach,no leaders,no political party affiliation.I find that this allows them not to be pigeon holed or for their opponents to zero in on a target specifically.It also allows the basic message of inequality or disparity to resonate much louder and clearer without getting muddled by other drama.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
shawn
Cool Member

Post by shawn »

Concerning UC Davis read this!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bob-os...b_1103039.html

This video is of the students reaction, meet violence with non-violence. This is their chancellor who said the students are a threat to her safety and the police officers safety.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

shawn wrote:Concerning UC Davis read this!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bob-os...b_1103039.html

This video is of the students reaction, meet violence with non-violence. This is their chancellor who said the students are a threat to her safety and the police officers safety.

The walk of shame.
That was beautiful.
She looked ashamed and crushed.
She's lost her job.Now she can join the peons. :lol:
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

We now have a "Bat" signal. Love it... :D

Watch the video below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2-T6ox_ ... r_embedded
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Here in the great state of Washington, the Occupy movement came to the city of Sammamish. The median income in Sammamish is $129,000! If they are considering themselves part of the 99%, then either the movement is gaining ground or has become a joke... not sure which.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Here in the great state of Washington, the Occupy movement came to the city of Sammamish. The median income in Sammamish is $129,000! If they are considering themselves part of the 99%, then either the movement is gaining ground or has become a joke... not sure which.
The erosion of wages,benefits,pensions over the last 30yrs is the 1%'s joke on the 99%.Unfortunately,its not a joke,its real life.Every time a director or board member gets a million dollar bonus that represents the denial of 1000$ per 1 thousand employees or to share holders.Consider that a million dollar bonus doesnt exist anymore,its more like 2-200 million dollar bonuses.Consider that each corporation has many executives that receive such bonuses.Along with employee benefits,wages, being slashed or offshored this is how the wealthy are getting fed.This is the real wealth distribution.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

oth wrote:The erosion of wages,benefits,pensions over the last 30yrs is the 1%'s joke on the 99%.Unfortunately,its not a joke,its real life.Every time a director or board member gets a million dollar bonus that represents the denial of 1000$ per 1 thousand employees or to share holders.Consider that a million dollar bonus doesnt exist anymore,its more like 2-200 million dollar bonuses.Consider that each corporation has many executives that receive such bonuses.Along with employee benefits,wages, being slashed or offshored this is how the wealthy are getting fed.This is the real wealth distribution.

Very well put.
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

Paul Wolfe wrote:The median income in Sammamish is $129,000!
In Texas everything seems expensive. A used car usually goes for triple here. While I presently make less than $129,000 (being a guitar teacher) I know the total amount of Americans in debt is somewhere in the neighborhood of 80% (if we include secured debts like homes and cars). Our Gov't prints it's own money to pay off its interest on debts. Banks didn't have to pay back their debts thanks to all the bailouts. 3 years ago I went through bankruptcy; it was humiliating because it made me feel like I couldn't pay what I had borrowed. Chase Bank refused to allow me to find a way to at least get my interest rate under control. Over 15 years I had payed $30,000 in interest and I was still over $15,000 in debt. The point is, they make or change the rules while you are accumulating debt. Genius! Evil, but genius. Anyone's income can seem like a lot until you crunch the numbers of how much debt they've accumulated. I'm not sure what income classifies you as rich. Debt is a pretty good indicator of your purchasing power. If I was making $129,000 and had no outstanding debts I would probably agree somewhat but no debt forgiveness takes away that ability.
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Some interesting points...

I don't really know what the situation is with financial inequality in the US, but on a side note, it was recently reported that the UK is steadily heading towards Victorian levels of inequality :shock:

What with debt, relative living standards and double talking jive from the politicians, it's hard to define wealth as EA points out. We have a conservative government at the moment (I don't consider the lib dems as a notable addition :P ) and while improving living standards for the poor is a necessity for them they still seem determined to broaden the divide in wealth across class.

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

The ruling class in the usa are the wealthy.It doesnt matter if youre a wealthy left or right leaning individual,you dont want the status quo to change.Notice how many hollywood celebrities have shown support for OWS:none.When you have hurricanes or 911 telethons they will drop millions but for a movement that will raise the living standards of the working class while making the wealthy pay more taxes, forget it.

The bible had a term for predatory lending:usury.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I recently went to Korea to visit with my mom's family. She and I were trying to explain to her cousin what the Occupy Movement was about. He didn't really understand totally. It probably had something to do with the fact that he has no teeth, lives in a hut outside of his farm where he raises pigs and takes care of his mentally retarded next door neighbor. To others around the world, America is the 1%.

It does suck to not have a job or health care, but I think America is still ahead of the game in some respects. It's disturbing that those kids at UC Davis got pepper sprayed in the face...but I've heard about other Occupy Movements: serious injury, robbing, rape, etc. Uh, what are you all trying to accomplish by living like homeless bums with zero morals? I know that's not everyone, but that image really hampers what they are trying to get done and fixed. Regardless though, I don't think tents and screaming and yelling get things done. Write to your congressmen or stop electing dumbasses to this country's government.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

NicDots wrote:
It does suck to not have a job or health care, but I think America is still ahead of the game in some respects. It's disturbing that those kids at UC Davis got pepper sprayed in the face...but I've heard about other Occupy Movements: serious injury, robbing, rape, etc. Uh, what are you all trying to accomplish by living like homeless bums with zero morals? I know that's not everyone, but that image really hampers what they are trying to get done and fixed. Regardless though, I don't think tents and screaming and yelling get things done. Write to your congressmen or stop electing dumbasses to this country's government.

1-we shouldnt aspire to be like a 3rd world country nor content that we are still above a 3rd world country.Our living standards are dropping fast.We are the only industrialized,1st world country that doesnt have public healthcare.
2- homeless bums with no morals?The OWS is comprised of many professionals both employed and unemployed.
3-rape,robbery?where?Who has said this?The police?No kidding.There is a concerted effort to smear ows.If you want crime check out what the banks did to this country or police violence against protestors.HAve you seen protestors attacking the police?
4- protesting is effective because its bringing attn to problems in this country because voting and writing letters has not worked and wont.All movements start with street protest before advancing.OWS is now occupying foreclosed homes-that is very pro active.OWS got the banks to drop the 5$ debit card fee.OWS protest is now causing state govts to seek criminal investigations against banks i.e. California.
5-the police violence is disgusting and is a reflection of fear by the higher ups.When you have cops assaulting peaceful protestors with chemicals,rubber bullets it makes you think we are living in a police state.I am shocked by seeing hundreds of cops dressed in riot gear goosestepping to beat/intimidate peaceful protestors.We have this right called peaceful assembly in the usa.It is the foundation and the reason for the creation of this country otherwise we d be flying the Union Jack not the Stars and Stripes.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

1-we shouldnt aspire to be like a 3rd world country nor content that we are still above a 3rd world country.Our living standards are dropping fast.We are the only industrialized,1st world country that doesnt have public healthcare.
2- homeless bums with no morals?The OWS is comprised of many professionals both employed and unemployed.
3-rape,robbery?where?Who has said this?The police?No kidding.There is a concerted effort to smear ows.If you want crime check out what the banks did to this country or police violence against protestors.HAve you seen protestors attacking the police?
4- protesting is effective because its bringing attn to problems in this country because voting and writing letters has not worked and wont.All movements start with street protest before advancing.OWS is now occupying foreclosed homes-that is very pro active.OWS got the banks to drop the 5$ debit card fee.OWS protest is now causing state govts to seek criminal investigations against banks i.e. California.
5-the police violence is disgusting and is a reflection of fear by the higher ups.When you have cops assaulting peaceful protestors with chemicals,rubber bullets it makes you think we are living in a police state.I am shocked by seeing hundreds of cops dressed in riot gear goosestepping to beat/intimidate peaceful protestors.We have this right called peaceful assembly in the usa.It is the foundation and the reason for the creation of this country otherwise we d be flying the Union Jack not the Stars and Stripes.
1. South Korea is a first world country with social medicine for "everyone" yet my mom's cousin doesn't get dental or vision care and takes care of his retarded neighbor cause there's no real government agency to do so. There is no perfect system and if the United States were to adopt social medicine, there would be problems with it as well.

2. and 3. I said they were living LIKE homeless bums with no morals: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2 ... ladelphia/ (an incident of rape that I was referring to).

4. Protesting is either brave or stupid, depending on the outcome. I don't see the government moving in favor of them any time soon. OWS getting banks to drop 5 dollar debit card fees? Come on, you could do that without tents. Leave the bank and go to a credit union.

5. I definitely agree that the police are out of control. Men become cops because they want power, not because they want to do good.

However, I still stand by the statement that America is the 1% compared to the rest of the world and many don't realize how great this country is even with its problems.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

Ya, i actually went down to ows and neither saw nor smelled any human waste.I also saw a lot of normal people.A lot of very intelligent,normal people.The local news has focused only on the most exagerated riff raff and sensational crap.You cant really find or expect much intelligent analysis of news on american news.Yes there are party people there but they arent what OWS is about.I havent seen any news analysis of why 2500 peopel have been arrested for protesting the crimes perpetrated by the banks yet no bankers have been arrested.
One of the most amazing things is obama said he found the protestors in egypt and across the mideast 'inspirational' and that the govt shouldnt use brutality against them.Yet in America,obama condones violence against protestors!!!

Protesting is stupid?Tell that to Ghandi,MLK,Mandela,and the peoples of libya,tunisia,croatia,egypt,ukraine etc... Protest is the only thing that effects major change not writing letters.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Here is an example of why I support the OWS movement. A football team sells stock with no monetary value for $250 a 'share' and raises $43 million in 4 days? $43 million could help a lot of people in need in any country. If the Packers can raise that kind of cash for a stadium, why can't similar money be raised to help the homeless or the 3rd world countries?

For those who don't want to bother with the link:
The Green Bay Packers put their stock that has zero monetary value on sale Tuesday morning and by this afternoon the club announced it had sold 185,000 shares at $250 apiece. The net profit has raised more than $43 million already for the Packers, who are planning to use the funds to help pay for expansion at Lambeau Field.

“The Packers are tremendously appreciative of the support we’ve received from our fans,” team president Mark Murphy said in a statement, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “The expansion will enhance the stadium experience for fans, increase our team’s home-field advantage and ensures that Lambeau Field continues be a source of pride for fans everywhere. We’re humbled by the response from our fans and their desire to help the Packers achieve long-term success.”

The plan by the club was to tell as many as 250,000 shares in a sale that will conclude Feb. 29. The Packers will sell more than that if the demand remains. That seems like a pretty good bet. In fact, we’re willing to predict that if the Packers can repeat as Super Bowl champions, there will be another rush on the stock in February by fans who want to be able to say they own a piece of the Packers, even if they’re just buying a piece of paper.

Shares can be purchased at the team’s Web site. There is a $25 handling charge per order.

In my opinion, the 1% blow money on ridiculous things rather than help those in need. As a result, the 99% need to give them a wake up call.

I agree Nicole, the USA is the 1% compared to the rest of the world. However, at some point we need to focus on the problems here before we focus on the problems in other countries. The United States has been headed into depression for a long time, we are not there yet, but it's coming. Research the 'Great Depression' on the 1930's in the United States and you'll find that the 99% here were living in 3rd world conditions while the 1% lived like kings. That is what the OWS movement needs to be about, keeping the 'Great Depression' from happening again, because this time the 99% may go to war against the 1% instead of against the Nazis.

Bloodshed brings change, I just pray it doesn't have to come to that.

Here is a picture of Seattle's 'Hooverville' in the 1930's, take a minute or two to really look at it and imagine it happening again.