Steve Jobs

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: Steve Jobs

Post by Paul Wolfe »

His influence was not necessarily a 'gift', but his life's work has definitely influence all of us to some degree.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

www.rstorey.co.uk
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

Trigger wrote:I agree with Rob, he was brilliant at convincing people they needed to buy things! but as a technophobe I am unsure what his real gift was to the world because I quiet enjoy the time I spend without gadgets.
Not that I am a tech junkie, but I got an I pad a few months back, and it is some seriously cool tech. I use it quite a bit more than I thought I would. It really is quite impressive, all the things it can do. My kids really like it too. I kept saying, "Were was this when I was in school". Not just for games but for note taking and home work.

I think Apple has come a long way in the products they deliver. Had an old apple 2 c back in the day. Not very cool. But in terms of the I phone it is simply the best smart phone on the market today. I would not say that Steve was so great at marketing. His products are just good. That is really all there is to say about it.
R.I.P. Steve.

Note: Who here actually has any experience with Apple products? I used to knock them until I tried them. Just say'n. Peace out Yo!
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

dannyahansen wrote: Not that I am a tech junkie, but I got an I pad a few months back, and it is some seriously cool tech. I use it quite a bit more than I thought I would. It really is quite impressive, all the things it can do. My kids really like it too. I kept saying, "Were was this when I was in school". Not just for games but for note taking and home work.
Some form of touch pad is probably the future for education, I'll admit, you save on paper, books and have an interactive resource. But I don't see the ipad changing things at the moment. I find typing anything beyond a text message rather irritating on a touch screen, and personaly i'd find screen real estate is too small compared to real books 'n' shit! :lol:

A plug in keyboard would help a lot, and a video out for dual screen support, textbook on one screen, notes on the other, probably more processing power too. But that sounds an awful lot like... a laptop! Not to mention the same situation can be solved with a book and a notepad. Maybe I'm romanticising books, I don't know, my generation was I guess one of the first to have computers in schools, I remember Acorn back in 94'. To be honest I never felt computers helped much. It wasn't until I started accessing on-line archives that the computer became a needed tool... and that's at least college level research.

Ultimately money will decide for schools, and I don't see them replacing existing infrastructure, with a very pricey gadget that does the same job.

Rob

EDIT: concerning the above; does an ipad have a video out of some form? can't remember.
Last edited by rice_pudding on Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.rstorey.co.uk
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

dannyahansen wrote: Note: Who here actually has any experience with Apple products? I used to knock them until I tried them. Just say'n. Peace out Yo!
Well... I've tinkered with many a friends ipod, used ipads a bit, and done my share of work on Macbooks, iMacs and Mac Pro's.

They're decent, nothing to really make them stand out from the rest of the crowd from a hardware point of view IMO, I'm more interested in the OS if anything.

Frankly (and as I understand it), you spend a lot on apple to fund their R&D department, customer service and arguably as with many products, the brand. From my point of view this is a total waste of my money. Given some recent purchases I feel 100% I made the smart decision. So I would use apple gear, but I wouldn't buy it, simply can't justify the £££.

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I wonder if he will be remembered in 30 years?
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Trigger wrote:I wonder if he will be remembered in 30 years?
If we're still using computers then!
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

Seriously, I really am not a fan of Apple devices. I had a MacBook Pro and it had an internal system malfunction with 4 weeks... there goes 700 bucks right there... Then I got an Ipod Touch 2nd Generation and that lasted 2 months and the USB port got wrecked... Another 150 bucks there.... Honestly, the tech is very cool and useful, but the quality and durability sucks... I've had my Ipod Touch 4th generation for about 4 months now and it runs at half the speed it did when I first got it... Sometimes it takes several seconds for it to respond to an action or something like that.

Aside from that, the iTunes store blows. I lost about 300 bucks worth of songs on my 2nd generation iTouch and I had no choice but to repurchase every song I lost. The people at the Apple store told me they couldn't do anything. That's a load of bullshit. That is why I now download all my songs using torrents or .zip files. That way I don't have to worry about Apple stealing anymore of my money.

Thus, I will not buy any Apple device from here on out except for a 50 dollar Ipod for music because I can't afford another Apple device that will just stop performing efficiently within few months...

I do like Steve Jobs for what he did though.... Very useful gadgets... could be better if the performed better... anyways, I had no idea he was involved with Pixar Studios. That blew my mind....