COOKIE MONSTER VOCALS and RAPID FIRE DRUM-WHAT MELODY?

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

oth
Mass Poster

COOKIE MONSTER VOCALS and RAPID FIRE DRUM-WHAT MELODY?

Post by oth »

HOW does one enjoy cookie monster vocals like in these death/speed metal bands?Also the drumming seems to be one long continous repetitious rapid attack.Melody is non existent in the song,guitar,vocals,drumming.I recently watched sonosphere and it was honestly,total crap.They had some band dressed as cavemen or something and had violins and cookie monster vocals.Also Europe was embarrassingly bad-they almost have more balls than Poison to be playing anywhere post 1991.Alice in Chains is probably the last ever decent rock band.

I also saw the festival of metallica,slayer,anthrax,megadeth and they all sucked melodically except metallica.
Ive been wondering since the 90s when melody would return to hard rock and wouldnt have guessed 20yrs and still nothing.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Tito
Mass Poster

Re: COOKIE MONSTER VOCALS and RAPID FIRE DRUM-WHAT MELODY?

Post by Tito »

im with you on that and ill also agree with alice in chains bieng one of the last good bands... i never paid them no mind when i was in my early 20's but about 5 years ago a good friend of mine turned me on to some of there stuff and i wound up liking them!! seether is another one he got me into...i cant agree with you more on this oth!!!!!!!!!BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

Tito,
I hear alot of kids liking these new bands and they are being raised on non melodic pounding drivel and dont know what melody is perhaps?Even bands like avenged seven fold sound way over studio processed and robotic feel.Then the solos are rigid and robotic too.They do a bunch of sweep arpeggio patterns and a couple of note bends and solo is over.When i listen to this new stuff and then hear journey or REO speedwagon, i think these guys just bury this new stuff.And im not even going to mention stones,zep,who,supertramp etc. who are in unapproachable stratosphere compared to todays music scene.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

trex elton john mountain skynrd hatchet outlaws styx hall and oats the list goes on my brother!!!this is an awesome topic oth!!!
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

actually i love the different dialects of the chinese...along with the italians!!cantonese calabrese napolitano cubano mejicano colombiano russo aleman arabic etc..im pretty open minded but the huffing into the mike and spraying nonsense is just that..garbage!theres no art in that...IMHLO
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

Alex wrote:Is Chinese just jibberish and drivel too?

Ignorance.

I forgot incoherence...thanks for the reminder. :P
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

As far as metal goes, nothing recent impresses me much.

There are some good pop rock things out there... I've been listening to early '90's Seattle stuff lately (the stuff that never made it out of Seattle) and it still sounds fresh to me.

Alice in Chains were great, as were Soundgarden.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

I just love the description of it being like Cookie monster singing. He was always my favourite of the Sesame Street bunch LOL

I am a bit of a contemporary music fan, the 'classical' music I write (and play) is modern - and in terms of the mainstream rock/pop etc, the era we are in has some of my favourite stuff coming out all the time. I love Muse, Seasick Steve, John 5, Amy Winehouse and Keiser Chiefs in particular!

In regards to the over processed sound in metal, I agree completely. Metal and rock to my ears should always be organic and 'on the edge' not pristine and shiny!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Alex, once again, great music. I must confess the growling vocals in some songs ruins them for me... that was always my Pantera/Damageplan issue. I love the music but hate the vocals.
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
AeolianMad

Post by AeolianMad »

Paul Wolfe wrote: I must confess the growling vocals in some songs ruins them for me... that was always my Pantera/Damageplan issue. I love the music but hate the vocals.

Well said. Dime was a great player, but i dont want to listen to them because of the vocals...
12.6.56-3.19.82
slobberface

Post by slobberface »

Eh there are some really good, no bullshit death metal bands out there.. You've just got to know where to look, and have an open mind...But of course there is a lot of new garbage out there, that kids in their sister's clothes like to call metal and death metal...I'd say for every 10 death metal bands these days there is maybe 1 out of 10 that has their OWN sound, their own identity, and are actually talented...But look at bands like Death, A Canorous Quintet, At the Gates, Cancer etc; Just a few GOOD death metal bands (if you were open to listening to death metal)...But anyways :wink: most death metal music coming out these days IS a bunch of cookie monster vocals, drop A tuning (oh lord), solos with no structure what so ever, and just about every band coming out sounds the same.. so I get what you're saying... 8)
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

Alex wrote:I will just say this: Tito and oth, you are both missing out on something beautiful. There is a whole world of well-written, intelligent, fresh, progressive, melodic and passionate music out there, and you will not listen to it due to your ill-conceived prenotions, and because your ears cannot grasp the concept of growling.

I am not talking about Avenged Sevenfold and the likes, by the way.

This (how about them drums, oth?), this, and even this is what I am talking about.

Of course, though, neither of you is actually going to listen to the songs, as you shrug at the very idea of it.

All 3 of those bands sound kind of like dream theater-the last one had more cookie monster flavor.Beware of long intros-never a good sign that a good song will follow.Boring.Tom Petty had a good quote-"dont bore us,get to the chorus".Any band that uses lots of death,viking,vampire,satanic imagery usually is a horrible bore and a garanteed headache.All that imagery is juvenile and laughable and we usually lose our fascination with it by the age of 18.None of that detailed imagery can replace a good song.Thats the difference between these guys and alice cooper or david bowie or iron maiden.
Last edited by oth on Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.