Anti aging pill is soon a reality.

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Alex
Mass Poster

Anti aging pill is soon a reality.

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Re: Anti aging pill is soon a reality.

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Well I love my life and am feeling very well as I write this ;) (touch wood) so if there is no harm in it and it prolongs life then why not?! :)

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Interesting thread, some of my friends were discussing anti-aging not long ago. The possibility of extended or indefinite lifespans is arguably not far beyond modern science.

Most of my friends would like to live forever if they could (providing they stay looking young :lol: :roll: ), I'm sure their position as atheists is a strong factor in that decision.

Personally, i'd rather just pop my clogs.

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Alex wrote: If it works as intended, I believe this might be the greatest ethical question that we will ever face. It will prolong life and cure a number of age related diseases, but can you imagine the overcrowding that will undoubtly occur?
Thats the problem. And a mighty big problem too :|

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

Saw this a few days ago on the news and was deeply curious about how well it will be received. I know the drug works by halting the harmful effect that oxygen has on the body’s cell structures. I believe they have even named his magical youth compound ‘Skulachev’s ions.’ I also know that he has already used himself as a guinea pig and treated his own eyes with drops meant to cure things like cataract. If it can cure things like cancer, osteoporosis, muscle dystrophy, Parkinson's disease and immune conditions then I'd be the first to invest in that drug. I think what is really important is that it should be available to everyone and not just for the elite. Of course you know that may change once powerful individuals 'seize' control. At any rate, hats off to Professor Vladimir Skulachev for such an incredible achievement.
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Alex wrote:"Greed is good. Sex is easy. Youth is forever."

I am agnostic myself, so the God part is not an issue for me.

I would assume that the Christians won't touch this, and it might not reach the more poor countries, so perhaps we are talking about 1 billion people with extended life? If these are all free from age related diseases or problems, the amount of money that could be channeled into other areas would be astronomical.
Lol, the informers.

I wonder though, i'm not so sure religious individuals would turn this down, after all not many people refuse medical care, its human nature to try and cheat the reaper. If the pill could cure cancer, parkinsons etc. then sign me up. I don't believe in anything like a conventional afterlife, but regardless i'm not really interested in living forever. I'm complicated 8) :lol:

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

rice_pudding wrote:
I wonder though, i'm not so sure religious individuals would turn this down, after all not many people refuse medical care,
I am of a similar reasoning Rob. Life is a great gift to be enjoyed :) and if we can live longer and more healthIly, then that is a positive thing in my opinion. After all, hundreds of years ago being in your late teens was middle aged. So by today's average life expectancy in the West, those people would consider living to 80 years of age miraculous! This sounds like the next step!

I hope in our life we can grow back limbs, live longer, cure cancer and live and love longer...why not?!!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I Don't know what to think... messing with science to clone shit and extend life etc. Is it a good thing to try to put an extension on your life ?.This would have to apply to everyone and if you didn't take the the drug you'd be left behind to die ?. It's like a euthanasia drug. Some people live a full healthy life and if they are bad in health would it be fair for them to carry on.. Not of this Earth. I think you get what i'm saying. Evolution has extended our life expectancy but messing with the formula of dying ?.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote: if you didn't take the the drug you'd be left behind to die ?
That's exactly what I'm thinking. This drug could (and probably would) completely redefine society.

Imagine two 60 year olds, except one of them looks 25 and still goes clubbing?! If they were friends as children it boggles the mind to imagine how their relationship would continue. If you are the one with too many wrinkles... damn thats a bitter pill too swallow (no pun intended).

We already have a divide in society between old and young, you would have to add new demographic groups the really old and the super young, which would in turn, eventually demand their own political voice. I mean the fuck do you do about retirement LMAO. There is already enough debate over how to treat smokers and non-smokers in the workplace!?!?

For better or worse, this pill would open a shit storm

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

Agreed. There are problems with this:

1. How much will it cost? I'm spending 100's of thousands of bucks for a pill, even if I do live for another 100 years.

2. What are the side effects? Am I going to grow a tail, or another eye?

3. Am I going to be capable of doing stuff? Will I be a able to walk as I grow older? Will I even be able to do anything as I age?

4. What about the people who don't have it? It'll cause a world war 3.
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

Agreed. There are problems with this:

1. How much will it cost? I'm spending 100's of thousands of bucks for a pill, even if I do live for another 100 years.

2. What are the side effects? Am I going to grow a tail, or another eye?

3. Am I going to be capable of doing stuff? Will I be a able to walk as I grow older? Will I even be able to do anything as I age?

4. What about the people who don't have it? It'll cause a world war 3.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Axeman1956 wrote: 3. Am I going to be capable of doing stuff? Will I be a able to walk as I grow older? Will I even be able to do anything as I age?
That could the the major stumbling block. Stopping cellular degeneration is one thing, but joints, bones etc. they are going to wear out. Not that I'm a doctor. Just saying. :lol:

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

That means no more guitar. When I turn 150, my fingers will be as stiff as a metal beam... lol