Fighting the fat and staying fit for 2010

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Fighting the fat and staying fit for 2010

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Firstly a very happy new year to everyone!! I am very excited about 2010 and hope it fares well for all. I posted this too at the Gibson forum and thought I would here too.

I don't know how many other gym users there are UR; but with 2010 here I couldn't recommend a more worthwhile resolution! Any tips from other men and women who work out would be really appreciated.

I started using the gym, as two years ago, I weighed myself and was shocked to see I was 210 lbs! Anyway just by a few tiny changes within a year I was down to 182 lbs. My height is 6ft 1.
Nowadays I use the gym twice weekly, as well as doing shopping by hand (a good walk with heavy shopping bags is great exercise!); plus I now get off the bus a couple of stops early and walk the remaining distance to work. I still eat my favourite things like pizza and drink alcohol too, but I also exercise regularly and eat five portions of fruit and vegetables daily.

I noticed too that I get ill far less and have more creative energy too BigGrin Being overweight is just bad news for your life expectancy, general health and also well being not to mention your wallet and appearance.

Anyway here are some good gym tips I found
http://www.maxim.co.uk/f...5_top_gym_mistakes.html

Calorie counter help and recommendations
http://www.weightlossres...gout/calorie_intake.htm

(Some simple tips too are to drink a pint of water before you eat to stop you over eating
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Interesting stuff. I'm going to enjoy a speedy metabolism while I can (ala, drink as much beer as possible) and then maybe gear off slowly next year as I conclude my degree and start working full time. I ain't really looking forward to it, but then again, I never look forward to anything that doesn't involve something I enjoy. I love what i'm doing in my degree, but fuck, it can take a lot out of you.

By the way, loving the signature alex ;P
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I'm big into running these days. Do maybe 3-4 miles everyday. However, as a woman, running 12-15 miles a week and still eating what I want unfortunately never leads to the desired results. If I eat out, I eat half and box the rest. I drink vodka sodas rather than vodka tonics and try and stay away from beer if I can.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Geez Matt, 6' 1" and 182? I'm 6' 1" and 233! I am working my way down from 270 a year ago. My weight loss system is walking 15 miles a night 5 nights a week at work and getting pneumonia once or twice a year!!

Actually, the wife and I are working at getting a healthier diet going and I've cut my alcohol intake to one night a week (Saturday) and one beer and a shot then.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

I was getting into running again but uni is leaving me with no time for it whatsoever...

i think walking is the simplest and best exercise, while in canterbury i walk everywhere and it keeps me reasonably healthy without even needing to run! When i visit my parents for a couple of weeks, ie now, i get no exercise and then struggle to cover the miles again walking about :oops:

Rob
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

LOL, Alex. That's why I'm happy I live in lovely CA where I can run year 'round outside without any problems.
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zakk Daniels
Mass Poster

Post by Zakk Daniels »

SCREW THAT FUCKIN' SHIT!!!! Drink Beers and play the guitar very badly, sing Neil Diamond songs, play with my daughters and make lego buildings, play my drums til I get blisters, drink more beer and add a shot of Jack Daniel's then go back and plug my guitar in and play the guitar some more very badly and piss off the neighbors and wife, while I pretend I am in KISS. That is what I plan on doing!!

Happy Fuckin' New Year!!!!!!!!!!

CHEERS!!!
Work Sucks!! Thats why I am on here reading posts!!
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Alex wrote:Ahh, I would love to move to CA, but it's such a mess dealing with visas, and what not. I am thinking a few years down the line I'll end up in Spain, Greece, or maybe even in a nice flat in Thailand. 8)

Apparently it's colder in Sweden than in Siberia right now, LOL. -50 fahrenheit in certain parts!
Yikes! I know in North Dakota they recently had -52 below in wind chill. :shock: I start shivering when its in the 50s ABOVE zero, LOL.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

NicDots wrote:
Alex wrote:Ahh, I would love to move to CA, but it's such a mess dealing with visas, and what not. I am thinking a few years down the line I'll end up in Spain, Greece, or maybe even in a nice flat in Thailand. 8)

Apparently it's colder in Sweden than in Siberia right now, LOL. -50 fahrenheit in certain parts!
Yikes! I know in North Dakota they recently had -52 below in wind chill. :shock: I start shivering when its in the 50s ABOVE zero, LOL.
Bloody hell minus 50! It was -20 last night here and walking to the pub was like being in Norway!!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Alex wrote:Apparently it's colder in Sweden than in Siberia right now, LOL. -50 fahrenheit in certain parts!
tell me about it :evil:

in my neck of the woods, close to the norwegian border,
it's so cold that cleaning the windshield on my car is a total
nightmare. not to mention the bloody vehicle takes forever
to get warmed up and by the time it does, I'm almost halfway to work :(
BIG_P
Cool Member

Post by BIG_P »

Happy New Year to you Matt and all my friends here as well. I'm turning 38 on the 2nd of February and I decided it was time for a major life change. Cutting back on what I eat, changing my eating habits and going to start walking more. Also taking a week off from work starting the 3rd of February to quit smoking. Told the boss I needed to as I know it's going to be a trying time and I'll probably rip someones head off....he understood..lol. Take care and good luck. Wish me luck as well....I'll need it.
[img]http://img500.imageshack.us/img500/3465/banner2xt.jpg[/img]
[b][color=red]The saying, "words can not describe" are so true when it comes to Randy Rhoads.[/color][/b]
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

BIG_P wrote:Happy New Year to you Matt and all my friends here as well. I'm turning 38 on the 2nd of February and I decided it was time for a major life change. Cutting back on what I eat, changing my eating habits and going to start walking more. Also taking a week off from work starting the 3rd of February to quit smoking. Told the boss I needed to as I know it's going to be a trying time and I'll probably rip someones head off....he understood..lol. Take care and good luck. Wish me luck as well....I'll need it.
Ralph!!! We missed your birthday

Happy belated birthday and cheers to you!

Matt