Intentional Negative Hype

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Intentional Negative Hype

Post by Paul Wolfe »

So all the bullshit that ensued with the RR documentary trailer had gotten me thinking about how some people intentionally play up negative hype just to get attention for a subject people are losing interest in.

Take the 'Teen Choice Awards' for example. Miley Cyrus is growing up and wants to move away from being a child star (or so it would seem based on her behavior). So she does a standard dance routine on the show which included a pole on top of an ice cream cart - from what I saw, the pole was there to hold on to while the cart was rolling. Of course now there is 'backlash' because of her 'pole dancing stripper' routine. All kinds of news coverage of her 'risque' performance.

Great publicity for moving beyond the 'tween set... wonder if the 'backlash' was calculated?

Remember the Britney Spears meltdown? Seems that lasted about 1 year, garnered non-stop publicity, and now everyone raves about how good she looks again and how much success she's having. Pretty good for someone who's career was waning prior to her 'meltdown'.

I don't know if Peter Margolis calculated on having a huge brewha about this trailer thing, but it sure sparked interest in his film...

Personally, I'd like to see more people get attention for behaving well and doing good things. But that's not the world we live in.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Actually, all the negative "hype" around the documentary has persuaded me to not go and see it, period. While some people gobble up pop culture drama, I don't. I have my own personal dramas and issues to deal with and have little time to deal with other people's bullshit and side with whoever's camp (not like siding for anyone matters anyway). All the crap that's gone on concerning the film has turned me off entirely I am afraid. Yes, the trailer looked cool, but I think I'm staying at home and saving my 10 bucks.

You know the saying Paul...there is no such thing as bad publicity. I think if the documentary crew didn't do something to bring some attention to the film, the 800 people that would see it would have forgotten such a project was undertaken.
demon
Cool Member

Post by demon »

no offense but thats stupid to not see the doc just because of the bitching going on over it.
"We have some pretty happy guys here tonight who like to have fun F-U-N!" Ozzy at Salt Lake City
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I don't want to support any of the knobs involved with the film, to put it quite plainly.
demon
Cool Member

Post by demon »

come on, its about randy!
"We have some pretty happy guys here tonight who like to have fun F-U-N!" Ozzy at Salt Lake City
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Right. Still not seeing it.
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
demon
Cool Member

Post by demon »

im seriously and honestly not trying to be a trouble starter or anything but Alex, if you stopped listening to Randy years ago then why do you post at these boards daily?
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I think "daily" is a stretch.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I agree with Nic and Alex, I love Randy's music but don't listen to it that often anymore. I will not be in a rush to see the film because I feel that years of using the forums has taught me what I need to know, I’m not a guitarist so details of settings on amps and pedals will not be of interest, and seeing those who didn't know RR talk about RR is pointless.
The whole way this film has been handled and projected onto Randy's fans has left me cold, if a pamphlet was produced about how to handle marketing and how to promote good will was made. This whole film and the tasteless baggage created around it would have totally failed to get the point. I think far from being eagerly anticipated this has become a Dodo, and sadly it’s the proverbial 'Elephant in the room'!
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

NicDots wrote:Actually, all the negative "hype" around the documentary has persuaded me to not go and see it, period. While some people gobble up pop culture drama, I don't. I have my own personal dramas and issues to deal with and have little time to deal with other people's bullshit and side with whoever's camp (not like siding for anyone matters anyway). All the crap that's gone on concerning the film has turned me off entirely I am afraid. Yes, the trailer looked cool, but I think I'm staying at home and saving my 10 bucks.
Alex wrote:I've come to a point where it's all just "meh" to me. The drama, threats, idiots, lawsuits, re-recordings etc. It's all too much. I stopped listening to Randy years ago. It may make new people discover Randy, but it's turning off people that are already fans. Like Dots, I have my own life to deal with.
Totaly Agree

Randy Rhoads was and still is my number one guitarist, and i still rate him as one of the very best musicians since the dawn of "popular music" but i dont listen to his stuff anymore, theres only so many times you can listen to crazy train, as good as it is.

Maybe im just not that big fan? :? :(

When this film comes out i will probably read about it in Sight and Sound, but like so many other films in that magazine i'll be in no hurry to see it.

I want to watch "Keane" but i still haven't and that came out 3/4 years ago... unless someone sticks the dvd through my letter box i may never see PM's film.

Rob
demon
Cool Member

Post by demon »

well i dont get you guys but ok
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

i get what you guys mean that whole situation just totally blew the steam out of the iron...but i have to be honest,,i cannot wait for this film..ive been waiting for something on randy to come out, as far as a biography,that i just cant wait to see it...im just not sold on the celebrity interviews...maybe a few ok,but damn come on!!!just my 5 cents...
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

demon wrote:well i dont get you guys but ok
in my case i consider it a sign of growing maturity and an attempt at a more laid back lifestyle.

When i was an impatiant kid i would be like a ticking bomb until i got the toy, the video game or got to the cinema to watch the film. I would always pre-order things online, book concert tickets on the fookin second they were for sale or make sure i got the the cinema in the first week of release. But now i think where's the sense in stressing out? Life is short but its not that short.

An example; Its the same with special edition releases. Gibson always release limited runs of say 100 "Jeff Beck LP's", if the osbournes release pro blizzard footage it might be a limited run to whip up a frenzy of spending, if Peter releases similar footage chances are it will be in limited print, where is he gonna get the marketing from to keep it in print (same with Rudy's book no?)

Now part of me says, shit lets get that Jeff Beck LP while we can and lets get whatever Peter makes because chances are it wont be available for long, but hey you lose some you win some. Why stress out about something so trivial?

I realize i must sound like a hippy laid out on dope but my life is stresfull enough without me antagonizing myself with materialistic desires 8)

Rob
demon
Cool Member

Post by demon »

im not stressing out. im just seeing a movie when it comes out. nothing wrong about being a little anxious about it.