Books

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Alex
Mass Poster

Books

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

At the moment, I don't have much time to read books that I want to read. One of my all time favorites though is Moby Dick. And Dostoyevsky books are also up there. War of the Worlds and Time Machine are great as well. Then there are the books that most kids my age love....Harry Potter, Stephen King, Twilight (although I think Twilight is good, I'm not obsessed like some fat goth chicks are!).

I have always been a book worm. Books rule. :)
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Re: Books

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Alex wrote:For years I didn't read, but now lately I am starting to see the beauty of it. You can go into such detail that is not possible in lets say a movie. The book I am reading right now is an autobiography called Prozac Nation, by Elizabeth Wurtzel. It's written in first person, and pretty much depicts her life and struggle with an atypical depression.

I am about to order Liber Falxifer. It's a book on chaos-gnosticism that should be fairly interesting.

What are you all reading?
Hi Alex

I have read that book Alex. I bought along with another one by David Pelzner (sp) a man who has come through one of the worst cases of child abuse in American history.

I am reading 2 books at the moment. Slash's autobiography and I am also reading George Orwell's novel Coming Up For Air.

I fins George Orwell's humour really hits the mark with me.

I loved Keep The Aspidistra Flying and the characters outlook was so bleak, yet always just about to see optimism and then his world would implode.

Alex this is a great thread idea

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Zakk Daniels
Mass Poster

Post by Zakk Daniels »

I just got done reading Don Rickles autobiography and Brian "Head" Welch's (Korn) autobiography. Both very good books. I like autobiographies the best. Hopefully i will be seeing Don Rickles live in November!!! He is a TRUE COMIC GENIUS!!! Very Funny!! Watch this clip of Don Rickles. It is mainly out takes from a show from 1993, but Rickles is so damn funny!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy the clip you crazy fuckers!!! :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXDR2HM2l3I
Work Sucks!! Thats why I am on here reading posts!!
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

My favorite book is by Robert Fisk who is a war reporter its called 'pity the nation' and is about the Lebanese civil war. I find it very moving how a stunning country like Lebanon was able be torn appart.
I have read the book three times over the past 10 years and I still find it shocking, moving and very revealing regarding the truth in that tragedy.

Ian
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
shanic
Cool Member

Post by shanic »

Alex wrote:For years I didn't read, but now lately I am starting to see the beauty of it. You can go into such detail that is not possible in lets say a movie. The book I am reading right now is an autobiography called Prozac Nation, by Elizabeth Wurtzel. It's written in first person, and pretty much depicts her life and struggle with an atypical depression.

I am about to order Liber Falxifer. It's a book on chaos-gnosticism that should be fairly interesting.

What are you all reading?
For someone that has said they have not read too much those are some fairly heavy books to get into.

At the moment I am reading Winston Churchill’s The Second World War, it is stunningly depressing to realise the thinking of our leaders back then. Also there were some very important lessons that have been forgotten or just not realised.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

my favourite book is "The Dead School" its a much lighter read than most of the other books i love but it translates a heck of a lot through its more basic language.

perhaps the perfect black comedy?

i picked up a novel today so i'll report back on that when i've read it 8)

Rob
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

I've been reading series books by Janet Evanovich. I'm waiting for the 14 one to come out in paperback. I've reserved it
from the library, but so far no calls have come to tell me that it was available.
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

hmm, it seems that I've been reading more the older I get :shock:

In the past 2 months or so, I've finished Slashs autobiography,
a book on the gnostic gospels and a book on Latin ... not on the
latin language but it's about the language though :P ...

and while I was in Stockholm this week I got myself a
Brian May biography and a book on Axl Rose ;)
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Hi Alex

I really enjoyed it. I couldn't get the image of a (as Nicole says) a Goth chick relating her story to me some of the time and others I found it genuinely heart breaking.

Alex or any UR friends. I have a Matt recommendation.

Nobody Nowhere by Donna Williams.

This is an autobiographical account of a girl who goes through absolute hell at school, with friends/family and just life coping with for years her undiagnosed Autism.

She doesn't fit the common stereotype either. She is adaptable intellectually, yet rigid, she on one hand yearned to forge relationships yet on the other struggled greatly with them. Her world for years was a very difficult rollercoaster ride until as the books says, exasperated she shows a Doctor her account and at last someone listens to her.

Alot of people say "this book changed my life"...but in a very literal way this book changed mine.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

hey Matt,

sounds like a good read. "Things to tell the grandchildren" is another inspirational autbiography though i am yet to read it.

Rob
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

I just finnished reading "On Chessil Beach" by Ian McEwan.

You may recognise the name, he penned "Atonement" which was adapted into a film.

The book is incredible though, accute, smart, devillishly witty and utterly heart breaking. It is as much about british society in the 60s as anything else.

It's 170 pages only took me a couple of days to read, but they were days well spent. McEwan is one of those great writers who can say more in a sentence than most can say in a chapter. A writer of little waste, comparisons to a certain guitarist spring to mind :wink: I would rate the novel as better than Atonement myself.

i reccomend it whole-heartedly as a short but brilliant read.

Rob
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Hi Rob

The book is noted!

It is funny you make the music comparison using RR as an example. What a great comparison too.

My friend Alan is a writer and has a simple system that avoids the equivalent of literary un-melodic shredding :) He says he uses the simplest language possible, and selects only more complicated words when no other word will do the thing he is writing about justice.

We have many talks over beers about this LOL

If in writing you do not consider your chocie of words, instead going the largest most impressive language-and in rock guitar you do not think of melody first and foremost as your priority, bypassing it for flurries of notes that are virtusosic, in both you can end up with something that is in danger of sounding superficial.

Rob I feel I am having a beer with you now

Matt