I inherited another few things from my granddad yesterday!

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

siro_angel
Mass Poster

I inherited another few things from my granddad yesterday!

Post by siro_angel »

Well I was met with a suprise when I was told I have more things from my granddad, but i was I was even more suprised to hear what I had inherited :)

1) An old 8mm movie camera
2) An old 8 mm movie projector
3) Film edit cutters!
4) Some 8 mm films for the projector!

:shock: lol considering I'm now a student of TV and Film Production, this was a great suprise! :D My dad's gunna see if he can get the projector working, he said all it needs was a fuse i think!

Oh and my nana has given me something aswell, a polka dot (as in the one made famous by a certian guitarist we admire? :P) tea towel! :D

I'll post pics if anyone wants to see!

Simon
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
highpriestess
Madman

Post by highpriestess »

there is no doubt that you and your granddad had e special connection, that i am sure, transcended just this lifetime....

cool about the tea towel. lol. i have a black & white polka dot silk scarf that i use to wrap my tarot cards in and to lay my tarot spreads out on.

eh... what is a tea towel? like a hand towel or dish towel? i don't think we have tea towels here... lol... we're not big on tea... except for iced tea... that's such a southern thing...

congrats on your new stuff. i can't imagine that your granddad would want it to go to anyone else on the planet.
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Post by siro_angel »

lol a tea towel is a dish cloth essentually, no idea why its called tea towel myself!

and thanks :) me and my granddad were close, but he was close to all of his children and grandchildren and even great grandchildren! lol

He was the patriach i admire to become one day! :D

Simon
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

great news simon, a super 8 camera will really help you to get used to using film, film stock is still being printed in colour and black and white, as long as it takes the right mag it will be good to go. Its not too expensive either, about £11 for roughly 10mins footage last time i checked. :D

i was introduced to some of the newer 16mill cameras at my uni today, including super 16 :shock: 8)

i was like a kid in a candy store, my classmates thought i was high :lol:

Rob
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Post by siro_angel »

Hey Rob

It's not a super 8 :) its just a normal 8 mm camera, silent, and it was bought in boots about 45 years ago! :)

Where can I buy the mags?

Wow super 16s so cool! :D

Lmao! I'd be like you, all high and stuff! lol

Simon
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Hey Simon,

yep 16mm very cool, i dont have a picture of the beauty in question but it is basicaly the same model as this only newer, plus we get extra lenses and filters etc. to use this year 8) :D the quality is really fantastic, deffineatly good enough for a major motion picture.

last year we used old arriflex bl's from the 60s. Still great cameras mind. They were the shit back in their day. Germans make great cameras 8)

if the camera is regular 8mm then im afraid your out of luck Simon :( 8mm was phased out as a format a long time ago you cant buy stock for it these days. its still a cool thing to own though.

Rob
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Post by siro_angel »

*drools*

I'd love to own them! :D

and AWWWWWWWWW :cry: I wanted to get some 8 mm film for the camera so i can go filming some antique footage x_X

Simon
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

siro_angel wrote:*drools*

I'd love to own them! :D

and AWWWWWWWWW :cry: I wanted to get some 8 mm film for the camera so i can go filming some antique footage x_X

Simon
i'd like to own them too but they cost a lot, i better not drop them :shock:

if you really want to shoot some film you could always buy a super8 camera. you can get them on ebay very cheap (as low as £10). Naturaly you would have to do some research to make sure the camera has the specs you need and is in good working order.

But £30-50 should be enough to get you a fine bit of kit
check this!

there is a shop in germany that refurbishes higher quality super8 cameras and sells them on ebay occasionaly. for £250+ you could get a wonderfull camera.

in truth though if you just want to capture a good image, then you shouldn't need to spend much at all.

There are plenty of websites cataloguing 8mm camera specs and giving advice on models. Its a popular medium and with good reason 8)

Rob
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

by the way check out the camera you have on the internet, it might be super 8, you never know
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Post by siro_angel »

Here's the camera.

ImageImage

ImageImage

I cant seem to find it anywhere.

Simon