Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Honey

Re: The Religion, Atheism and Science Discussion

Post by Honey »

http://www.matthewsearguitarist.co.uk
For a transcription e-mail sear1200@googlemail.com
All monies donateed to the RR Scholarship

I'm proud of you for this, Matty. Education is crucial.
If You Want To Make God Laugh, Tell Him Your Plans

Honey
Whipper
Cool Member

The Westboro Baptist "Church"

Post by Whipper »

Most everyone's probably heard of this by now, but maybe some members from across the pond aren't familiar with it or the recent event with this so-called church. They're based in Topeka, Kansas, the members mostly made up of family members, and protest funerals of soldiers, claiming their deaths are God's way of showing his anger with America's tolerance of homosexuality. They show up at these funerals holding signs with messages like, "Thank God for IEDs" and "God hates fags", even having their children hold such signs.

The family of one of these fallen soldiers that had them protesting at their funeral has sued them for $5 million, and the "church" is appealing the case at the supreme court. Outside of the court where they turned "Crazy Train" into a hate-mongering chant by changing the lyrics changed to, "You're going straight to hell on your crazy train.", which aired on television everywhere.

Ozzy is now officially pissed:
http://www.msopr.com/?q=node%2F5882
Ric

RRfish
Madman

Re: The Westboro Baptist "Church"

Post by RRfish »

I have heard about this group, absolutely saddens me that they spread this type of hatred. Ignorance rearing it's ugly head once more. I have done the AIDS walk several times in L.A., and of course that brings these types out. The first time I went, I was shocked at the signs, and explatives used by these people. Sad state of affairs, especially for their own children or families who may not choose to lead a full and happy life,for fear of ridicule. I guess I am naive, as I had thought we as humans have evolved to higher way of thinking, in many cases, I guess not. Glad to see Ozzy took a stand. :( :fish:
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Hi Ric and RR Fish

Yes there has been some documentaries in the uk about this group and their hatred. I still don't know quite how to digest them mentally, because they make me feel so sad that they hate so much.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whipper
Cool Member

Post by Whipper »

It's impossible to grasp mentally! What's even more difficult to comprehend is the fact that not one of them has been so much as physically harmed yet, let alone killed! People seem to get killed everyday by someone just for walking down the street minding their own business, yet no harm comes their way even though they're dubbed as the most hated family in America?!

I love when Bruno cuts through one of their protests in his movie practically naked, except for some S&M gear, and unintentionally trips one of them... priceless! Apparently, some guy stripped down to his underwear and stood among them holding a sign that read, "God hates signs". A male reporter flirting with one of the WBC men was pretty good too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8cN2pB3MCE
Ric

shawn
Cool Member

Post by shawn »

There was a small documentary on them that was aired here too. Are there not hate speech laws in America that could be applied to lunatics like these? It just seems strange that people can preach out right hate and get away with it.

To me these people are similar to scientologists, that is they are brain washed culties that have been drinking way to deep from the magic cool aid their leaders deal out.
Rybones

Post by Rybones »

When religious extremists have too much free time on their hands, and they are crazy, you go on road trips with the westboro church and spew filth and vile stupid things.
Insert something witty here.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

What makes me pissed off about these people is that here in Britain and around the world their is a healthy body of people who opposed the wars in Irag and Afganistan for political reasons. This doesn't mean all people were opposed to both conflicts or the choices our governments took at certain times etc! one movement, different groups all taking an opposing view etc!
This group use the anti war movement to promote hate and wreck equality, they do not stand shoulder to shoulder with the anti war movement they just make people confused by looking as if they part of what is a noble movement. The anti war movement support the soldiers they dont support the political overlords.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

This is just one of the reasons why i have such serious reservations about religious groups :evil:

Just to clarify my opinion religion = good, organized religion/church etc. = bad

Needless to say i was not impressed with the popes recent visit

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

rice_pudding wrote: i was not impressed with the popes recent visit

Rob
That makes two of us Rob!
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

What happened with his visit? Sorry, I don't pay attention to most religious things.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Everyone. You know how much I love the religious atheism thread?! (LOL) If it is okay; I am going to whack this thread over there, as this is an excellent talking point!
Re the Pope.... Yes, my inlaws are devout Catholics, so from my now converted Anglican wife (she had misgivings about being a Catholic from the age of about 14) , I know the Catholic way quite well. and respect it too.

I do think though it is a matter of fairness and principle that the police should be handed over everything the church has about priests that have misused their position

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Cryptic Night wrote:What happened with his visit? Sorry, I don't pay attention to most religious things.
There was nothing in particular wrong. It just the general reaction the guy gets. The British media covered his visit 24/7 and it got very old. The pope is worshiped like a "God" in his own right, which is pretty funny when you think about it. Worshiping false idols and all that...

I just don't like the Catholic Church in general really. I know some Catholics and they are my best friends and i respect their faith, but the church brings out a very scary side of their personality. Money, indoctrination, control, thats all it is IMHO.The pope has far to much power, he stands up and dictates how we should live our lives, and people follow him blindly. I mean people in England were getting hysterical over the pope, practically in tears because they get to see the old bugger. Frankly, the pope scares me, the only political figure i can think of who comes close to such blind devotion was good old Hitler... maybe thats where he learned his tricks.

Yeah i went there! Cos I'm a bastard :wink:

To sum up, i do not appreciate being subjected, via the media, to a crazy old man who spends his life telling other people, and governments no less (laugh my ruddy ass off) what to do.

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
shawn
Cool Member

Re: The Religion, Atheism and Science Discussion

Post by shawn »

@Cryptic Night : Personally I think that a fair amount of people got upset with the pope’s recent visit there because in a speech he made a comment that the atrocities of the Second World War was the fault of atheists. Which is absolutely bullshit, and if I am not wrong I do believe that Hitler was baptised a Christian. I think that he may have forgotten about the disgusting practices of his church in the past and the fact that some of his priests like to rape young boys. Even worse he does not see the act of rape as a crime.