New Year's Resolution

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

New Year's Resolution

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

O.K., a new year is finally upon us. Has anyone made any resolutions yet? For me I would have to say getting a band together with my guitar students. Something on the level of a School Of Rock type band. Anyone else?
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

Mine was to go back to the gym and start exercising, but that fell flat. I've had an earache since Sunday. It's kind of hard to listen to my ipod when my ear is drumming to a different song. :lol:
I know, what an excuse, I really don't need to have an ipod to exercise...
I'll go to the gym starting Monday. My goal is to lose at least another 20 pounds like I did last year before I went to California. Only this time, I'll be able to do it longer, since I'm not going anywhere, anytime soon.
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Sarab wrote:Mine was to go back to the gym and start exercising, but that fell flat. I've had an earache since Sunday. It's kind of hard to listen to my ipod when my ear is drumming to a different song. :lol:
I know, what an excuse, I really don't need to have an ipod to exercise...
I'll go to the gym starting Monday. My goal is to lose at least another 20 pounds like I did last year before I went to California. Only this time, I'll be able to do it longer, since I'm not going anywhere, anytime soon.
I am proud of you Sarab!!

I am 6ft and in 1999 weighed 154 lbs
2000 I gave up smoking and my weight increased to 190 lb
By July 2007 I had gone up to 206 lbs (14 stone 10!)

I have gone to the gym 2-3 times a week since and am now 182 lbs and feel in the best condition ever.

My metabolism even has fought off xmas damage too!!

Go Sarab baby!!!
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Matthew wrote:I am 6ft and in 1999 weighed 154 lbs

I have gone to the gym 2-3 times a week since and am now 182 lbs and feel in the best condition ever.
in 1999 I was 6' 2" and weighed 187 lbs (which I'd weighed for 10 years). In 2001 I quit smoking and my weight increased to 210. In 2005 I had my back injury and subsequent surgeries and now I am 6' 1" and weigh 260 lbs!!

Over the holidays I joined a gym and now that life is settled again, I am hoping to get back to that 210 mark by summer.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
Matthew wrote:I am 6ft and in 1999 weighed 154 lbs

in 1999 I was 6' 2" and weighed 187 lbs (which I'd weighed for 10 years). In 2001 I quit smoking and my weight increased to 210. In 2005 I had my back injury and subsequent surgeries and now I am 6' 1" and weigh 260 lbs!!

Over the holidays I joined a gym and now that life is settled again, I am hoping to get back to that 210 mark by summer.
210 is probably perfect for your height too.

You look ever so slim in your myspace picture Paul
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

My new years resolution is to be nicer to my mom, no matter how much of a wench she is to me. Kill her with kindness!
lil_miz_rhoads
Cool Member

Post by lil_miz_rhoads »

my new years resolution is to stop cutting myself on the wrists just because im angry or sad.
My life is a Black abyss...
XXMisunderstoodXX
Dan
Cool Member

Post by Dan »

lil_miz_rhoads wrote:my new years resolution is to stop cutting myself on the wrists just because im angry or sad.
Yes. Please don't do that. You are a child of God and you are precious.
Baking the cookies of discontent by the heat of the laundromat vent...
Mike541x
Cool Member

Post by Mike541x »

Lil_Miz_Rhoads, what makes me feel better is looking at a picture of Randy smiling. I know it sounds weird but any picture of Randy smiling always makes my day.

My NYR:
Get better at guitar
Get a part time job
Get my grades up

Those are the important ones for me.
lil_miz_rhoads
Cool Member

Post by lil_miz_rhoads »

idk know im a very depressed person. this may come to a shock to u but when im not in the mood to cut myself i go outside and smoke with my boyfriend :cry: :cry: :cry: i know that is why that is my resolution
XXMisunderstoodXX
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

lil_miz_rhoads wrote:idk know im a very depressed person. this may come to a shock to u but when im not in the mood to cut myself i go outside and smoke with my boyfriend :cry: :cry: :cry: i know that is why that is my resolution
You might try going to church and/or talking to your parents. It sounds like you surround yourself with a LOT of bad influences in an effort to be cool. Problem is, the things you do are anything but cool.

Go to the library and find the book Heartbreak and Triumph: the Shawn Michaels Story and learn about his decision to seek God.

A child your age shouldn't have anything to be depressed about. Sad, maybe, lonely, occasionally, but not depressed. Not to mention being WAY to young to have a boyfriend, especially one who smokes.

I'd say you should consider a resolution to straighten yourself out.
lil_miz_rhoads
Cool Member

Post by lil_miz_rhoads »

that is my resolution but its soooooo hard.when i try not to cut myself or smoke im always beating the crap out of my 8 year old brother david. he thinks its funny. i dont know how to get this anger out of me. :( :cry:
XXMisunderstoodXX
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

boredom, angst, ennui, rage, depression, despair. it's called being a young person. it's called feeling misunderstood. it's called trying out different personas. it's called trying to find yourself. you will find, l.m.r. that you were there all along. it's a journey and this is one of the hard parts. but you'll get there, don't worry.

i would suggest looking for something that takes your mind off of yourself. sort of like a little 'mind' vacation. give it a shot. reading. bicycling. learning to play the guitar. learning to cook maybe. something healthy and not self destructive.

make the quest for this a resolution.
Last edited by frank on Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I agree with Frank, focus on something other than yourself and you may find your "self" in the process.

Also, I was once told that there is no such thing as "trying", there is just "doing". What this means is when you want to quit smoking, just quit. It may take time to quit completely, but ever single cigarette you don't smoke is a plus.

The same thing goes for learning guitar. You don't "try" to play, you just play. In time you will play well if you put in the time to learn.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

frank wrote:boredom, angst, ennui, rage, depression, despair. it's called being a young person. it's called feeling misunderstood. it's called trying out different personas. it's called trying to find yourself. you will find, l.m.r. that you were there all along. it's a journey and this is one of the hard parts. but you'll get there, don't worry.

i would suggest looking for something that takes your mind off of yourself. sort of like a little 'mind' vacation. give it a shot. reading. bicycling. learning to play the guitar. learning to cook maybe. something healthy and not self destructive.

make the quest for this a resolution.
frank speaks wise words.

i went through the same difficult period as you Lil_miz_rhoads.
I know life can look grim at that age but it all depends how you look at it. Channel you anger into something constructive. Who do you want to be? I wanted to be a good guitarist so i put all my energy into practicing. trust me doing something constructive gives you a lot of self worth. I was depressed and heading in the wrong direction until i stumbled onto randy and realized music was my calling.

Dont forget that there is always another side to your life. When i was your age, maybe a little older, i was liable to become a dropout with no prospects, i didnt think i had any hope of going to college or anything like that. Then one day i realized that i had another choice in life, i didnt have to act the dumbass i thought i was.