I know this really sad, geeky, nerdy twat....

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

deansolo
Cool Member

Post by deansolo »

Trigger wrote:
deansolo wrote:Seriously tho', there's big bucks in meteorites. Some museums / collectors will pay thousands for a good specimen.
Thats very true, so you were only kiddin about the gold nuggets and jewllery then? I bet you have to dig through layers of unicorn skeletons to get to them! :D

T
Oh no! I wasn't kidding at all. I go to the beach. Lots of rings, watches, bracelets, coins, etc. in the sand. Also go to mountain streams and creeks...move the bigger rocks away and you have a good chance of finding gold nuggets under them. I'm not so sure about gold in the UK, but in Southern California you can find it pretty easily with a good quality detector.

Dean
Cat's-Eye pedals now available at Vintage and Rare Guitars, London and Bath, United Kingdom

"Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?"

www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

deansolo wrote:
Trigger wrote:
deansolo wrote:Seriously tho', there's big bucks in meteorites. Some museums / collectors will pay thousands for a good specimen.
Thats very true, so you were only kiddin about the gold nuggets and jewllery then? I bet you have to dig through layers of unicorn skeletons to get to them! :D

T
Oh no! I wasn't kidding at all. I go to the beach. Lots of rings, watches, bracelets, coins, etc. in the sand. Also go to mountain streams and creeks...move the bigger rocks away and you have a good chance of finding gold nuggets under them. I'm not so sure about gold in the UK, but in Southern California you can find it pretty easily with a good quality detector.

Dean
We don't get much gold and I live in the centre of Britain so no beaches near me. What we do have is layers of History on more layers of history!

I have castles and Roman settlements just down the roads, I feel very lucky and if you ever get a chance you should come and give it a go. We do have to be careful though because lots of land is protected and it's hard to know where you can go and where you can't. I was speaking to a woman who had a Roman fort and Roman villages on her land but if she ever put a spade in she would risk going to prison :shock: If I was her I would be scanning that ground 24/7 and to hell with the authorities.

I do have a good detector though, it a Minelab MP, it has sound as well as a screen which really helps with discriminating bad results.

Digging gold nuggets sounds great but finding something made by hand and lost almost 2000 years ago is very humbling :)
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
deansolo
Cool Member

Post by deansolo »

Trigger wrote:
deansolo wrote:
Trigger wrote: Thats very true, so you were only kiddin about the gold nuggets and jewllery then? I bet you have to dig through layers of unicorn skeletons to get to them! :D

T

Dean
We don't get much gold and I live in the centre of Britain so no beaches near me. What we do have is layers of History on more layers of history!

I have castles and Roman settlements just down the roads, I feel very lucky and if you ever get a chance you should come and give it a go. We do have to be careful though because lots of land is protected and it's hard to know where you can go and where you can't. I was speaking to a woman who had a Roman fort and Roman villages on her land but if she ever put a spade in she would risk going to prison :shock: If I was her I would be scanning that ground 24/7 and to hell with the authorities.

I do have a good detector though, it a Minelab MP, it has sound as well as a screen which really helps with discriminating bad results.

Digging gold nuggets sounds great but finding something made by hand and lost almost 2000 years ago is very humbling :)
Oh man! I'd love to be able to dig up things like you have! I'm very interested in historical stuff. :) But history only goes back a couple of hundred years where I live. :(

You are very lucky to live where you do.

Keep digging and postig thos pics man! :D

Dean
Cat's-Eye pedals now available at Vintage and Rare Guitars, London and Bath, United Kingdom

www.cats-eyeesp.com
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

i did once see a meteor come crashing down in a field... i probably should have gone to find it but it was late and it was no doubt red hot (i saw it glowing on the way down) so i couldn't pick it up...
deansolo
Cool Member

Post by deansolo »

:)

www.cats-eyeesp.com
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

rice_pudding wrote:i did once see a meteor come crashing down in a field... i probably should have gone to find it but it was late and it was no doubt red hot (i saw it glowing on the way down) so i couldn't pick it up...
WOW :shock:

I was watching a great programme last night about meteors and the jouney they often travel and how they arrive on earth...but most importantly where they have come from.

See I am not a geek either :D
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Matthew wrote: WOW :shock:

I was watching a great programme last night about meteors and the jouney they often travel and how they arrive on earth...but most importantly where they have come from.

See I am not a geek either :D
it wasn't a big deal it was only a small thing from what i could tell.

what was much cooler was when the earth was hit by a meteor shower about 6 years ago. i remember looking up to the sky at 4.00 in the afternoon and you could see dozens of the things burning up across the sky.

it was kind of freaky at first though, i was just thinking "what the hell is happening!"
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

:arrow:
Last edited by cableguyxx on Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Ian this is the first time ive noticed this thread and its a fascinating subject.I had a metal detector when i was a kid i got it for a birthday present.But the novelty wore off very quickly,i went out twice !!.The field i was in was about 100 yrds across the road from me.All i found was a rusted iron gate and shit loads of tiny pieces of aluminium foil which i discovered was from the local cub scouts/brownies 'field trips when they had been cooking potatoes in the fire.But i've always thought it would be worth while getting back into.Do you do much research to where you go and are you in a club 'Geeky train spotter' which i was a fan of later on..But thats another subject... :oops:
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Hi Darin & Shaun

First Darin, I do have some new things which I am waiting to clean, one is a bell used by the Danes (about 800ad) so they knew where to find the most valuable animal on the land. I have also found loads and loads of coins that are approx the same age as the USA independence, which by British historical standards is not very old. I will put them up on site for you as soon as they are clean because I think you will find them interesting.

I also found a Napoleon coin in a crop field near my house which is a long way from any battles the French had with the British Empire; it is stunning how odd some of the locations of the finds are from where these things started life.

Hi Shaun

I have always loved local and international history so I have a good idea where to look. Where I live has been in constant habitation since around 1000bc. Near the end of my garden is a castle that is long gone, it was owned by the Knights Templar and I find things they left behind before they were declared heretics by the Pope and were tortured to death. Also I have a Roman road that passes close to my house and as long as the grass has been eaten by the horses or mowed by the farmer I find Roman or Georgian things - as the area around me was part of a large George (the first) country house.

I have a few areas that I want to dig that were Roman towns but are now on private land, I am interested in one because when the railway was dug into the fields a mile away from my house they found a Roman Villa and cemetery which means the surrounding gardens and field will have some nice things lying 10 inches below the surface.

I think you should give detecting another go, I find about 10 pieces of rubbish to every one item worth mentioning. I steered away from joining a club because I like the idea of just going out and seeing what I find, I am the perpetual loose canon. I do go into old book shops looking for local history info that is long forgotten.

I have been unable to go out for a few weeks as the nights draw, you need to have lots of light to dig, when I finish work I only have about 1 hour of natural light left :(
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

:arrow:
Last edited by cableguyxx on Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

Perpetual loose cannon? OK.
When you get a chance, post up a pic of the bell. I'd love to see it.
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Sarab wrote:Perpetual loose cannon? OK.
When you get a chance, post up a pic of the bell. I'd love to see it.
I will put those coins and the bell up for you soon. :lol:
when I mentioned the loose canon thing I meant I am not the kind of person who follows rules very well. This is why I am no good at being an employee, too many rules keeping you controled. :roll: :wink: :D
DarbyGloss

Re:

Post by DarbyGloss »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Ian this is the first time ive noticed this thread and its a fascinating subject.I had a metal detector when i was a kid i got it for a birthday present.But the novelty wore off very quickly,i went out twice !!.The field i was in was about 100 yrds across the road from me.All i found was a rusted iron gate and shit loads of tiny pieces of aluminium foil which i discovered was from the local cub scouts/brownies 'field trips when they had been cooking potatoes in the fire.But i've always thought it would be worth while getting back into.Do you do much research to where you go and are you in a club 'Geeky train spotter' which i was a fan of later on..But thats another subject... :oops:
So you are a experienced metal detecting fan. I plan to buy a metal detector for kids as a gift of my 8 year old boy, will he love it?
Last edited by DarbyGloss on Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Re: I know this really sad, geeky, nerdy twat....

Post by dannyahansen »

Now this is one old thread.