I know this really sad, geeky, nerdy twat....

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

I know this really sad, geeky, nerdy twat....

Post by Trigger »

and it's me.

I always wanted a metal detector so I got one for my birthday but I received it about a month before. As some of you know I am a History/Politics nerd! so I went out searching and these are my best finds to date.

First (top left) is a very damaged Roman coin from the aproximate year 200ad, next is a very rare coin from Maximinus 310-313ad, then a weight or pendant from the year 1100ad and was used in weaving.

Bottom row;

This coin from the reign of Edward I 1290ad was used as change and was designed to be snapped in half or into quarters for payment. Another Edward I 1290ad coin which was made at Canterbury Cathedral. These were both from the times of the Knights Templar who went to fight in the Crusades in the Holy Land and they were found on old Knights Templar land. Lastly is a King George III which makes it around the time (perhaps a little after) the American independance from the British Empire, it's in rubbish condition considering it is the youngest.

Now you can laugh!
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Re: I know this really sad, geeky, nerdy twat....

Post by siro_angel »

Its not geeky :P lol I own a replica of a Roman Gladius i was given to me on my 12th birthday :) (made of some metal anyways lol)

Simon
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

thems are some good finds :)
how long did it take to find them?
DayNah
Cool Member

Post by DayNah »

Wow, crazy finds Trigger.....What kinda $$$ would something like that be worth?
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

rice_pudding wrote:thems are some good finds :)
I found other stuff as well but these were found within 3 weeks of buying the machine.

As for prices it is hard to say the Crusader coin can fetch as much as $300 and the Maximinus coin around $150. You can pay less but I suspect a lot of fakes are out there, you only have to get some dyes and strike them with a hammer. These are the real thing because I saw them come out of the ground myself.

I took them to show the local historian who logs finds in my county for the museum. She said that they are some of the best examples of these 2 coins and are very rare finds. They have been photographed for the museums web-site and she is also preparing reports to record them academically for the historical archives.

Hey Simon, you should get digging in youy county! you have some of the best Roman history of any county in Britain, it was after visiting there on business a few weeks ago wishing I had a metal detector That made me go and buy one!
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Post by siro_angel »

my mum got me into archology a while ago! lol but i never properly took it up, but still by toutatis on your finds :)

Simon
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

this is really cool ian.
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

Nice finds, Ian!
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
BIG_P
Cool Member

Post by BIG_P »

Yes VERY cool Ian!! I myself would love to have a metal detector. I'm into History, antiques and old shit.... :wink: :D
[img]http://img500.imageshack.us/img500/3465/banner2xt.jpg[/img]
[b][color=red]The saying, "words can not describe" are so true when it comes to Randy Rhoads.[/color][/b]
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

:arrow:
Last edited by cableguyxx on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Cool stuff indeed!
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Trigger wrote:
rice_pudding wrote:thems are some good finds :)
I found other stuff as well but these were found within 3 weeks of buying the machine.

As for prices it is hard to say the Crusader coin can fetch as much as $300 and the Maximinus coin around $150. You can pay less but I suspect a lot of fakes are out there, you only have to get some dyes and strike them with a hammer. These are the real thing because I saw them come out of the ground myself.

I took them to show the local historian who logs finds in my county for the museum. She said that they are some of the best examples of these 2 coins and are very rare finds. They have been photographed for the museums web-site and she is also preparing reports to record them academically for the historical archives.

Hey Simon, you should get digging in youy county! you have some of the best Roman history of any county in Britain, it was after visiting there on business a few weeks ago wishing I had a metal detector That made me go and buy one!
3 weeks, thats fast :P

they could be worth more than you think, i've heard that interest in old coins is at a high at the moment, i guess you'd rather keep them (at least i know i would) but if you ever need the money...

CHA-CHING
$$$$$$$$$$
Sarab
Mass Poster

Post by Sarab »

Ian, I showed Mike your finds, and he thought they were awesome! He said that a metal detector wouldn't do any good here. Living on what was at one time swampland, doubt if we'd find anything of value.
Better people....
Better food...
And better beer.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

cableguyxx wrote:Really cool stuff 8) I love this kind of stuff. Not as ancient of history, but I live smack in the middle of the old Civil War battlegrounds and Cherokee Inidian lands. There are tons of artifacts under the soil here as well. Please post up more of your future finds. In fact, make this one a sticky. This is very interesting indeed!
Out of all the areas of the USA that you could live in Darin your state has the most interesting history. I would love to see what came out of the woods around you house. I didn't realise you were so much like me Darin! we have so much in common, now I discover you love history as well. I think that in the future you and the clan need to come over to visit me in Britain.
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

:arrow:
Last edited by cableguyxx on Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.