What's YOUR Favorite bassist?

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Phil Lynott not so much for his playing but for his frontman charisma. He was the 'dogs danglees'.
ILOVERUDYSARZO

Post by ILOVERUDYSARZO »

I cannot believe that none of you agree with me!!!!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

ILOVERUDYSARZO wrote:I cannot believe that none of you agree with me!!!!
I don't think I've ever heard Rudy play anything other than the stuff on Tribute and the Metal Health record.

I'll check out his stuff with Dio and get back to you on this... did he play on any Whitesnake albums or just appear in the videos?
McLowery
Madman

Post by McLowery »

Alex wrote:Dave LaRue. He is unknown to most people, but has played with Dixie Dregs, Steve Morse, John Petrucci, Joe Satriani, etc. Essentially a jazz fusion player.
Alex, you are right on the money! LaRue is a bass playing machine! The Dregs are like a freight train coming at you.

I think Rudy is an excellent bassist and his stage presence is spot on as well. I remember when him, MacAlpine and Alldridge did "Project Driver". I really liked how non commercial it was. I think Rudy's discography doesn't put him in the spotlight as a bassist. He is a workhorse, like Mike Anthony as well. Underrated as players becuase they aren't trying to be the frontman of anything, although the album sales of the acts they played and/or play with dwarf most "big wig" bassists out there.
Oh bring me some CHUNKY PUDDING, and bring it RIGHT NOW!!!
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Last edited by whoopiecat on Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
ILOVERUDYSARZO

Post by ILOVERUDYSARZO »

whoopiecat wrote:
Didn't Bob Daisley relay a story where he and Rudy were having a drink somewhere, and a fan approached them and thanked Rudy for his awesome bass playing on Diary, and Rudy, instead of correcting him, said "Thanks" with the man who did the actual work sitting right next to him?!
Wow, It was really nice that Rudy said thanks to Bob Daisley for his bass playing on Madman. He knew that the credit did not really belong to him.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Last edited by whoopiecat on Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
Zakk Daniels
Mass Poster

Post by Zakk Daniels »

HANDS DOWN,THE #1 BASSIST IS GEDDY FUCKIN' LEE!!! I have seen him 34 times in concert and each time he was better than the last!! Second is STEVE HARRIS of the ALMIGHTY MAIDEN!!! MOTHER FUCKER, UP THE FUCKIN' IRONS!!!!!

1) Geddy Lee
2) Steve Harris
3) Martin Mendez (OPETH)
4) Cliff Burton R.I.P
5) Jaco Pastorious

Just my FUCKIN Opinion. Don't like it too fuckin bad!!!!!!! :-)

p.s. I think Rudy is COOL as SHIT,but is basically a very basic player. Great Showman though, and super,super cool guy!!!
Work Sucks!! Thats why I am on here reading posts!!
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

whoopiecat wrote:Maybe I typed it wrong....Rudy actually accepted the compliment that should have gone Bob's way.
The fan complimented Rudy, instead of Rudy introducing the fan to Bob and informing the fan that it was really Bob's work on the album, he took credit for something he did not do.
Bob told this tale somewhere...I'll have to see if I can find it.
If it is indeed true, what Rudy did would be the exact opposite of cool. :(
Talk about an akward situation :oops:
I'm sure it was awkward for everyone. Maybe it was just one of those moments where those "one word responses" get mixed up. Ever run into someone accidentally and say "you're welcome"? I know I have. :lol: But seriously, if someone says "Hey great job on that!" you immediately say "thanks" without thinking (and even less thinking when in a bar getting tanked). I don't think Rudy is a bad dude at all (although Kevin and Kelly think he's the AntiChrist) and I bet right after he said "thanks" he was thinking "oh, wait..."

I dunno, just my thoughts.
ILOVERUDYSARZO

Post by ILOVERUDYSARZO »

Even though I am not disrespectful in any way, I would have loved to see the expression on Bob's face when he said that LOL :lol:
Mr.McTaco

Post by Mr.McTaco »

Steve Harris
Cliff Burton
Rudy Sarzo
Rex Brown
David Ellefson
OffTheScales

Post by OffTheScales »

John Entwistle by far
When Randy Rhoads Died, I think A Piece Of Everyone In Town Died With Him...
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Some one who is also a favourite of mine is Stu Hamm...

Satch calls out at concerts when the audience go "Stuuuu"

"they stu him cause they love him!" :)

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
demon
Cool Member

Post by demon »

rob trijillo is being forgotten here.
its impossible to be with ozzy, metallica, suicidal tendancies, black label society, and many others without being absolutly amazing.

and who can leave out cliff burton and steve harris?
"We have some pretty happy guys here tonight who like to have fun F-U-N!" Ozzy at Salt Lake City
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

AH! I love Robert Trujillo. What a monster player. I saw him with BLS, Ozzy, and Metallica. He is amazing and seems like a very down to earth dude.