Facebook... curious...

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Facebook... curious...

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I came across the following while trying to find a way to clear the 'friend suggestion' page:

"I have never joined Facebook.
I recently received an unsolicited email to join.
It suggested “people I may know” and it got 6 out of 8 correct. Now, I have never joined yet facebook knows who my friends are or have been
One suggested “friend” I haven’t seen in 7 years, yet there he was.
HOW and WHY the hell does facebook know who i’ve met?
Can anyone say Big Brother? social surveillance
and intelligence gathering."

Odd, to say the least...
NicDots
Mass Poster

Re: Facebook... curious...

Post by NicDots »

Facebook is scary at times, to say the least. I've debated with getting rid of mine but there are people that I want to keep in contact with via the site that I don't see everyday and that I don't want to necessarily have long phone chats with.
shawn
Cool Member

Post by shawn »

The thing is, if you use hotmail or gamil ect, the algorithm that facebook uses can cross reference the addresses in others accounts with yours to suggest friends. To stop this from happening you would have to contact everyone that has your email address and tell them not to use facebook apps. Mind this is the first that I have heard of a person that does not have an account receiving an unsolicited email suggesting someone to use facebook with suggested friends, very interesting if true.
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Alex paints a pretty picture huh? A very accurate one as well, heck just stop to pay attention to the adds on the sites you visit and you'll soon realize you are being specifically targeted

The internet is a great tool for challenging authority, hardly surprising that those in power want to keep it in check.

On the subject of face book; I am not a member. Surprising, considering that every one of my friends is a member. I have no difficulty keeping in touch with the people that matter, and have no intention of joining face book. Ever. My opposition to to FB is a philosophical one rather than a concern over big brother though.

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Just remembered something similar happening to me;

I joined many job sites last year: reed, total jobs etc... And one day received an email from another site specializing in graduates; they had set up my account for me and just needed me to sign in and create a new password. WTF? Cheeky buggers :shock: :?

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
Lara Coimbra

Post by Lara Coimbra »

Yes this often happens to me too.
I've found in facebook school mates from uh, 5 years ago.
Last week it was recomended to me a teacher, wich I haven't seen since 2009.
This is quite odd, but at the same time I think it's cool seeing those "old" faces.
Well, Randy's up to bat, gonna hit me a home run...
Sorry 'bout that, outside, ball one...
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

Paul Wolfe wrote:I came across the following while trying to find a way to clear the 'friend suggestion' page:

"I have never joined Facebook.
I recently received an unsolicited email to join.
It suggested “people I may know” and it got 6 out of 8 correct. Now, I have never joined yet facebook knows who my friends are or have been
One suggested “friend” I haven’t seen in 7 years, yet there he was.
HOW and WHY the hell does facebook know who i’ve met?
Can anyone say Big Brother? social surveillance
and intelligence gathering."

Odd, to say the least...
The only thing thats odd in this day of id theft,data mining is why anyone would use their full name for user id or email profile/info!!!
As for Facebook.....hell to the NO.
Every govt agency and your employer and any time you fill out an application your name is searched on google and facebook.They then look at your explicit posts about how wasted you got at the party last weekend etc and decide your fate then and there!Wonder why you are not getting hired-got a facebook account?You are making it so easy for them.Facebook has 50% of the us population as members and growing!Facebook has some good uses from what i understand but nothing to compel me.Now, wtf is twitter about? :|
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

oth wrote:The only thing thats odd in this day of id theft,data mining is why anyone would use their full name for user id or email profile/info!!!

Every govt agency and your employer and any time you fill out an application your name is searched on google and facebook.They then look at your explicit posts about how wasted you got at the party last weekend etc and decide your fate then and there!

Facebook has some good uses from what i understand but nothing to compel me.

Now, wtf is twitter about? :|
I get your point, but I've got nothing to hide in anything I've posted anywhere online, so I use my name. As for Identity Theft, anyone who looks into my credit will say, "His credit sucks, I don't want his identity!" :D

I use Facebook to keep in contact with relatives in other parts of the country, not for socializing. That's all it's good for to me. Twitter? I don't see the point.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

I know facebook is awesome for direct advertising and marketing to a very specific customer profile.You have a product for a 18-25yr old males in buffalo,ny and facebook will have nearly all of those males in their data records.Pretty awesome.
What i dont know is how all those revolutions in the mid east get started with twitter and fb.

Ive looked at twitter threads and its all about what side of the bed did they roll out of this morning and other inane mindless up to the second reports.Im sure at some point i may join one of those but no reason yet.And im an old fart.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

oth wrote:I know facebook is awesome for direct advertising and marketing to a very specific customer profile.You have a product for a 18-25yr old males in buffalo,ny and facebook will have nearly all of those males in their data records.Pretty awesome.
What i dont know is how all those revolutions in the mid east get started with twitter and fb.

Ive looked at twitter threads and its all about what side of the bed did they roll out of this morning and other inane mindless up to the second reports.Im sure at some point i may join one of those but no reason yet.And im an old fart.

I was wondering about the whole concept of starting a rebellion through Facebook and Twitter as well. I don't pay any attention to Twitter, but I'm guessing that with Facebook, someone starts a page and gets their 'friends' involved, they get their 'friends' involved and it snowballs.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

FB is great if you are a musician too. You can advertise your gigs, updates to your website and also market your cds.
I just don't understand couples talking to teach other on it in this kind of way...

a few months back a friend of my wife's and her husband were having an anniversary meal and on facebook (at the time of the meal) they were writing to each other. How inane and also unromantic!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Lara Coimbra wrote:Yes this often happens to me too.
I've found in facebook school mates from uh, 5 years ago.
Last week it was recomended to me a teacher, wich I haven't seen since 2009.
This is quite odd, but at the same time I think it's cool seeing those "old" faces.
Hi lara

me too! 18 months ago me and my old best mate from school after 12 years got back in touch through facebook.

It is great seeing him again

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Lara Coimbra

Post by Lara Coimbra »

mr. Cpt Matt Sparrow, :fish:
LOL I finally found out how this weird thing happen!!!
Guess what, when somebody you know for a long time sugests you friends some people we didn't expected always comes out. :roll:
Well, Randy's up to bat, gonna hit me a home run...
Sorry 'bout that, outside, ball one...