Revelations (Short Film)

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

JustTakeAPebble
Mass Poster

Revelations (Short Film)

Post by JustTakeAPebble »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV_r0YmXLXI

Just thought I'd give you guys an update of what I have been doing at uni. Sadly a tape was lost
on set which made us loose some footage, but other than that, lemmie know what ya think!!

Sorry for being so distant, I've been wrapped up among other things!

All the best!

Simon
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Re: Revelations (Short Film)

Post by rice_pudding »

Well done Simon, from the offset it went in a different direction than most student films. It could have developed better but the first couple of minutes are great. The acting is passable as well which is a revelation in itself for a student film. Sure, 'Erebus' sticks out more than Brian Blessed in a Buddhist Temple but i think you're entitled to some artistic leverage with a character that has a deranged and perhaps even mystical/paranormal quality about him (hinted at by the dialogue?).

The camera, lighting and sound is a bit bland and aimless, and more cover would have been useful for the edit, I wont criticize your crew, because i know how little guidance students get when developing a photographic plan etc. If you have a chance it may be worth re-mixing the audio, some of the foley work stands out too much and a color grade would also greatly enhance the look of the film. (I know a guy if you don't have anyone).

All that aside, its good, as your description mentions, it would make a great web-series, I've recently started work on trying to develop one myself, they are an odd medium, but i think the content you presented would work very well. Shades of Lynch's 'Twin Peaks' and Preminger's 'Laura' perhaps.

I would love to see a more internalized version of the material, perhaps this character works for the church to hunt down depraved ex-priests, perhaps he is guilty of crimes himself and is bound to the church to pay for his sins? This would present a more conflicted character and plot with many possible twists. Of course this is all material that may have been on you missing tape. It certainly feels like the most natural progression imo.

I would encourage you to develop this as a short web-series, there is potential for a great "edge of your seat" narrative as well as room for some stylistic camerawork and sound.

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
JustTakeAPebble
Mass Poster

Thank you Rob for your much appriciated feedback :) I actually attempted to grade it myself as the original footage was a bit too cold for my liking. It will be handy to know a grader so feel free to pass me his details in a pm.

Thank you again for such kind words and constructive criticism,

Simon
Zakk Daniels
Mass Poster

Post by Zakk Daniels »

Very Good Simon!!!!
Work Sucks!! Thats why I am on here reading posts!!
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Simon! That was not like a student film, I forgot it was that in seconds and became absorbed!

great work!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
JustTakeAPebble
Mass Poster

Hey Matt

Thanks for your compliments :) :blush:

Hey Craig

Thanks!!