Do You Play Guitar?

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

DayNah
Cool Member

Post by DayNah »

I play though I don't play anywhere near as much as I should....I rehearse abit before I go on tour and that's about it...I should really start playing more...
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

DayNah wrote:I play though I don't play anywhere near as much as I should....I rehearse abit before I go on tour and that's about it...I should really start playing more...
theres no point playing if you dont find it fun so maybe you should look in a new direction, but in any case guitar is a use it or loose it deal IMO but once you reach a certain level you dont need to practice as much to maintain your ability (ive heard that Jeff Beck rarely plays guitar when not on tour). Also if you have a good practice regeim you dont need to practice as much; im cutting down at the moment :wink: .
If you feel guilty its probably only because theres always so much more to learn and your eager to learn it strait away. I often discover something new that i want to learn and then i feel bad because i realise i could have spent x amount of time learning when i had nothing to do.
so dont feel bad... be happy :D :D :D
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Skully wrote:If you want to hear some mind boggling classical guitar playing, you should check out John Williams playing Vivaldi. :shock: It'll make you feel SO unworthy.
thanks i'll try to look him up
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I don't know if he's on iTunes or not...
If you can't find him, just PM me and I'll send you a few tracks that'll make your head spin. :)
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Here is a nice little video...
DayNah
Cool Member

Post by DayNah »

rice_pudding wrote:
DayNah wrote:I play though I don't play anywhere near as much as I should....I rehearse abit before I go on tour and that's about it...I should really start playing more...
theres no point playing if you dont find it fun so maybe you should look in a new direction, but in any case guitar is a use it or loose it deal IMO but once you reach a certain level you dont need to practice as much to maintain your ability (ive heard that Jeff Beck rarely plays guitar when not on tour). Also if you have a good practice regeim you dont need to practice as much; im cutting down at the moment :wink: .
If you feel guilty its probably only because theres always so much more to learn and your eager to learn it strait away. I often discover something new that i want to learn and then i feel bad because i realise i could have spent x amount of time learning when i had nothing to do.
so dont feel bad... be happy :D :D :D
I just find I don't have as much time anymore(especially since child #2).....I do find it fun but it comes in spurts.....I'll have a phase where I'll write riff after riff for about a month straight, then I'll go a couple months without picking a guitar up(outside of playing live)....I'm actually setting up a little studio in my basement for recoridng, so that might get me more into playing....
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

RockyRhoads wrote:Here is a nice little video...
That's a great video! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPz0WsoplSc
That's another hot one.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

RockyRhoads wrote:Here is a nice little video...
thanks that video is just fantastical :)
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

DayNah wrote:
I just find I don't have as much time anymore(especially since child #2).....I do find it fun but it comes in spurts.....I'll have a phase where I'll write riff after riff for about a month straight, then I'll go a couple months without picking a guitar up(outside of playing live)....I'm actually setting up a little studio in my basement for recoridng, so that might get me more into playing....
family life can be a killer huh :) how often do you play live and what kinda music?
DayNah
Cool Member

Post by DayNah »

rice_pudding wrote:
DayNah wrote:
family life can be a killer huh :) how often do you play live and what kinda music?
I tour about 2 months a year.....plus play 10-12 shows within 3-4 hours of where I live....I play in a punk band(yeah I know everyone hates punk)..But we're every bit as metal as punk I'd say.... http://www.myspace.com/hopepunk
There are a few tunes up there....
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I was still playing after child #2, but after child #4 I put the axe down for quite some time. I play when I can, but life does get in the way.
RushIsABand

Post by RushIsABand »

I've been self-teaching myself for about 4 months now. I'm going to start taking lessons in the summer though.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

RushIsABand wrote:I've been self-teaching myself for about 4 months now. I'm going to start taking lessons in the summer though.
What resources have you been using to self-teach? Having an instructor can speed up your learning curve tremendously, even if it's for nothing more than helping you see your strengths and weaknesses.
DayNah
Cool Member

Post by DayNah »

You know what I wish I had when I was a kid learning guitar? the internet.....You can you tube almost any song and anything you're having trouble figuring out you can find how to play....Though some people put stuff up there played all wrong....
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

DayNah wrote:You know what I wish I had when I was a kid learning guitar? the internet.....You can you tube almost any song and anything you're having trouble figuring out you can find how to play....Though some people put stuff up there played all wrong....
i only just realised the other day that there is actualy good stuff on you tube most of the "lessons" ive come across are just people playing a song and showing off i guess. But there is some good stuff, if you can pick up one good tip from a 10min video then it was probably worth it. Im sure that would have been randy's phillosophy. 8)

at the moment im trying to get more arpeggios into my solos there seems to be some good stuff out there but ill still probably look for a good jazz improvisation book or something.