Speak of the Devil...

Talk about bootlegs, request bootlegs, and trade bootlegs here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

El Cochino

Speak of the Devil...

Post by El Cochino »

Anyone have any of the two Ritz shows Ozzy did for the Speak Of The Devil (live) Album? It would be interesting to hear those tracks before they were cleaned up for the album.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/BruinJer/HeavenHell.jpg[/img]
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I have the first show, its a nice listen when you compare the album with it.

T
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
DayNah
Cool Member

Post by DayNah »

Are there any songs that didn't make the album? I always wondered if "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" was edited during the mix, or did they purposely leave out the "bridge" part?....
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

DayNah wrote:Are there any songs that didn't make the album? I always wondered if "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" was edited during the mix, or did they purposely leave out the "bridge" part?....
I have only listened to this a couple of times but the first 2 tracks are the same as the album and 'Faries wear boots' is a different version. I do remember that they played one less song on the first night and I think it was 'Sabbath bloody Sabbath'
When I first heard the album back in 1982 I remember loving 'Never say die' and I was delighted that the boot I have has a different version to the album.

I think I shoud re-listen to the boot and post a thread about differences between it and the boot show I have.
I was told a while ago that they played 4 shows in total 2 as warm ups and the later 2 were recorded for the album! I am not sure how true that is.

Ian
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
DayNah
Cool Member

Post by DayNah »

Trigger wrote:
DayNah wrote:Are there any songs that didn't make the album? I always wondered if "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" was edited during the mix, or did they purposely leave out the "bridge" part?....
I have only listened to this a couple of times but the first 2 tracks are the same as the album and 'Faries wear boots' is a different version. I do remember that they played one less song on the first night and I think it was 'Sabbath bloody Sabbath'
When I first heard the album back in 1982 I remember loving 'Never say die' and I was delighted that the boot I have has a different version to the album.

I think I shoud re-listen to the boot and post a thread about differences between it and the boot show I have.
I was told a while ago that they played 4 shows in total 2 as warm ups and the later 2 were recorded for the album! I am not sure how true that is.

Ian
Any chance you'll ever put up the bootleg for us all to enjoy? :D
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

a very good chance if you give us a few weeks.
DayNah
Cool Member

Post by DayNah »

Trigger wrote:a very good chance if you give us a few weeks.
No problem bud, take as much time as you need! :D
El Cochino

Post by El Cochino »

Trigger wrote:a very good chance if you give us a few weeks.
That would be awesome... if you do , THANKS in advance!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I was just reading this over at RR.TK:
Max Norman wrote:KNAC.COM: How many records did you do with Ozzy?

NORMAN: 5 total. I did 2 albums for Ozzy at Ridge Farm. In 1982 did the 3rd record, Speak of the Devil with guitarist Brad Gillis (Ozzy, Night Ranger, Vicious Rumors). We took a truck down to the Palace in NYC and record live for about a 2,000-seater hall. Since Ozzy was on a limited budget and fulfilling a contractual obligation with Jet for 2 more records. They could only do this one time. So I made Ozzy play a whole show in the afternoon with no audience and record that. Keep that in the can, and then if something happens on the night or is no good. At least we've got a choice and we'll have more material to draw from. Three of the tracks on that record were done in the afternoon and not live in front of the audience. If you got nothing to do for a couple of days you could just lie there and listen to them in the headphones and figure out which songs had the real audience and which ones didn't. I did Ozzy's 4th record Bark at the Moon at The Power Station back in New York in 1983. Ridge Farm Studio was losing money at that point so I flew Concord Air to NYC to start mixing because we were so short of time. Tribute was the last record I did with Ozzy.

KNAC.COM: I always thought Brad Gillis never got enough credit for taking Randy's place during the Diary of a Madman Tour. He nailed everything.

NORMAN: Brad’s a great player and a nice guy. I think that's why Ozzy got him. He's good enough to play any of that stuff. Rudy Sarzo was not a particularly accomplished bass player I'm afraid. He's a showman. I liked Tommy Aldrige. He's a great drummer.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Nice read Rocky :D

I can tell which versions are not from the album when I listen to the boot, but Ozzy did 2 shows with an audience and I am sure I have read revues for both nights. I think if they only did the play through and 2 shows to record the album, that alone proves how great that band with Brad Gilis was 8)
DayNah
Cool Member

Post by DayNah »

Great read Rocky!!
El Cochino

Post by El Cochino »

One thing I always wondered... if you see photos of Brad during the Madman tour, you notice that he is usually wearing the same leather studded vest Randy wore... is that the same vest or was one made for Brad?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

El Cochino wrote:One thing I always wondered... if you see photos of Brad during the Madman tour, you notice that he is usually wearing the same leather studded vest Randy wore... is that the same vest or was one made for Brad?
It's the same vest... if you use the search function you can find a long, convoluted thread about that vest. Someone joined here in the early days of this site who actually owned that vest and wanted to give it to Randy's family.
AlienSatch

Post by AlienSatch »

Trigger LET'S HEAR IT BRO !!! :D
Randy Rhoads Rules.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
El Cochino wrote:One thing I always wondered... if you see photos of Brad during the Madman tour, you notice that he is usually wearing the same leather studded vest Randy wore... is that the same vest or was one made for Brad?
It's the same vest... if you use the search function you can find a long, convoluted thread about that vest. Someone joined here in the early days of this site who actually owned that vest and wanted to give it to Randy's family.
Just to update, the lady who had the vest wasn't a member here, that was at a board therhoadslesstravelled and I had years back called Speak of the Devil so I'm sure all those references to what happened to that vest are long gone...