RR pick ? I don't think so !!!

This is the place to discuss and show your Randy Rhoads collectables.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

RR pick ? I don't think so !!!

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I seen this on ebay and the seller obviously knows the score about RR picks, what he used etc. But he is basically doing his best to baffle us with bullshit. The item has bids on it and its sad because it's been made well after RR died. Back in the late 70's early 80's no bands used signature picks. The bands that did are very few KISS, Cheap Trick, BOC, Ted Nugent, Van Halen. It wasn't until well into the 80's it became common for bands to use signature picks and drumsticks.
He's selling his collection but he only has one item for sale ?.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150834093968
oth
Mass Poster

Re: RR pick ? I don't think so !!!

Post by oth »

I dont know if he s trying to bs since he s provided plenty of info that no one can corroborate the veracity of this pick.I think thats fair warning in and of itself.
To me,the RR font would not be approved by randy since he used the rolls royce font.The blizzard print looks somewhat amateur hour but ozzy was low budget.The only pick anyone remembers randy using are plain old fenders and maybe jd's?
When you add it all up it doesnt ring authentic by a longshot.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I see this is creating a bit of a buzz amongst the pick collectors. The price is now at $491.00 = £312.00 which is outrageous for something that is bogus and just not connected to RR. I don't know how ebay can carry on letting sellers sell obvious crap signed faked signatures and items like this. Pass me some picks and letraset i'm away to make a few quid.
dinomite
Cool Member

Post by dinomite »

My lord, now it's over $500USD!
Like oth though, I don't see any clear intention from the seller to bullshit us, perhaps there is the slight intention to baffle the buyers though. He does provide all the necessary information that anyone with even the slightest education on Randy would need to know that this is simply fake.
Such a shame though to know that there are at least a few suckers out there willing to pay hundreds of dollars for something that worth quite literally a few cents. But still funny haha!
Thanks for sharing Shaun, I wouldn't had seen it otherwise.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

dinomite wrote:My lord, now it's over $500USD!
Like oth though, I don't see any clear intention from the seller to bullshit us, perhaps there is the slight intention to baffle the buyers though. He does provide all the necessary information that anyone with even the slightest education on Randy would need to know that this is simply fake.
Such a shame though to know that there are at least a few suckers out there willing to pay hundreds of dollars for something that worth quite literally a few cents. But still funny haha!
Thanks for sharing Shaun, I wouldn't had seen it otherwise.
The laughable thing about the description is that he has not got any proof that it came from Randy. Or if it was ever used or designed for him. I have seen other picks that have been described in the same way but with a BS story to back them up. If you do a search on the internet for RR picks it takes you to this forum and who has put a thread up about his picks ? me. The shite he's saying about the Fender R etc thats all my words. This is how i know he's spinning yarns trying to grasp at the truth to sell this. It's funny how his collection of items sold are all from the 90's to present day. He hasn't got anything else from this time period. That seals it for me the item is a load of crap.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Well it sold for $610.00 = £390.00 thats a stupid amount to pay for something that has no authenticity whats so ever
Attachments
RR Fender white pick 2.jpg
RR Fender white pick 1.jpg
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

The other big problem i see is that a personalized pick would never have the users name on one side and then the manufacturers logo on the other.Why would you pay extra to have fender print their name when you could just order them from fender without the fender logo and for less cost?

A fool and their money part ways.I think the seller was testing out this theory and it paid off.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Are you referring to picks in general, as i've seen plenty picks with the makers name and the band's logo and name printed on the reverse. Ernie Ball Iron Maiden Steve Morse Deep Purple Planet Waves Motorhead etc.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

yeah,i guess im wrong.Ive never seen that or noticed it.I ve just seen mostly evh pics and he doesnt do it to my knowledge.It seems tacky and an extra cost unless the company is giving them freebies for free advertising.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

oth wrote:yeah,i guess im wrong.Ive never seen that or noticed it.I ve just seen mostly evh pics and he doesnt do it to my knowledge.It seems tacky and an extra cost unless the company is giving them freebies for free advertising.
Yeah the freebies for free advertising sounds about right.
catdaddy

Post by catdaddy »

Shaun is correct as usual....someone got totally burned.
Just got a Fernandez fv 105 rr to add to the shrine as well as my sandoval PDv
It is super sweet ....been looking for long time
Went to the RR
30th memorial this year...quite an eye opener...but great to see all the true RR fans keeping the the flame burning.
Kev
Catdaddy34@sbcglobal.net
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Why should eBay stop this? I don't know about Europe, but in the States, 90% of everything sold is overpriced and falsely advertised to some extent. It is up to the buyer to make sure he (she) isn't getting screwed. Anyone who can afford to spend that much on a guitar pick can afford to get screwed.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Why should eBay stop this? I don't know about Europe, but in the States, 90% of everything sold is overpriced and falsely advertised to some extent. It is up to the buyer to make sure he (she) isn't getting screwed. Anyone who can afford to spend that much on a guitar pick can afford to get screwed.
Paul its pure fraud alot of sellers who sell 'so called' signed album covers, flyers, posters etc on ebay. I seen a guy in the UK who sold about 50 bogus signed Rammstein tour flyers. He changed his user name 3 times and made about £1500.00 selling just those. I chatted with the guy and he had proof of meeting the band and he then tried to say he got all the stuff signed by 'the band'. No one would sign that amount of 'free' flyers. They would know that the guy would be selling them on ebay.
Then you have the guys who just buy a load of cheap vinyl LP albums. They sign the lot of them and the signatures look nothing like the originals. They have good feedback, but if you recognise the tell tale signs of old signatures signed with marker pens etc. Old 60's - 70's signatures commonly got signed in ball point pen/ pencil. All these albums are 'part of a huge collection' from my 'late father' etc etc. Strange how they are all signed in the same blue marker pen. From the 70's to present day ?. Shit !! if i can notice this how do they sell anything ?. Like you say they have more money then sense. But its bad when fans of the bands realise they've been well and truely shafted. I remember that a couple of sellers in the UK got prison sentences for selling dodgy signed sports memorabilia. But they had made 100's of 1000's of pounds/dollars until they got caught. But it doesn't stop or deter anyone to carry on doing this. It's an easy way to make BIG money but it does carry a heavy fine or even jail.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I understand your point, but it's up to the buyer to educate himself. I have little sympathy for anyone who spends stupid amounts of money on a guitar pick that is fake.

How do you know that the guy selling this stuff doesn't have a big need for the money and has found a way to get what he needs after legit ways didn't pan out?

For example, his mom is ill and the family can't afford the bills to care for here. He's tried every source he can for aid and has been turned down for not qualifying. So he finds that he can sell fakes on eBay and get the money to pay the bills... is it justified?

I'm sure most fakes are sold by con men, but are they all? Again, it's up to the buyer to educate himself. I know it pisses you off, but you can't change it and will drive yourself nuts trying. Just like I'll never convince anyone on this board that spending large amounts of money on Randy related stuff and guitar related stuff is stupid when there are people in dire need around the world who could use the money.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Paul well you got one thing right, the guy has found a way to make easy money. But it is like alot of easy ways to make money, the majority of them are against the law and very illegal. I don't mind anyone who pays for something, if they collect memorabilia. I keep myself to a budjet and if i pick it up for a reasonable price, its money in the bag. If i do decide to resell it at a later date. It takes a few years to recognise what's shite and what's right :wink: . I've sold a few RR signatures on ebay and i've made some good profit. If i wanted to sell fakes i could, but i don't fancy being called worse then shit and a good chance of going away at Her Majesties pleasure...no thanks. I don't think these assholes realise if anyone pushed the issue, alot of those sellers would be prosecuted. It's like someone printing money, these guys have the dodgy material to make plenty money.