Recent Pics from Flying Baron Estates (Crash Site)

Photographs of Randy Rhoads

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Doolang

Recent Pics from Flying Baron Estates (Crash Site)

Post by Doolang »

So, on Dec. 9th I traveled from Eastern Canada to Tampa for a little vacation. First on the list, rent a car drive to Leesburg to see if I can get near the spot where Randy was killed. This is something I've been wanting to do since I was 8. I'm 37 now. Anywho....we got there but it was all gated up, private property, etc. Then, the craziest luck. A man comes driving by on a golf cart. After some small talk, he asks where we're from. To make a long story short, this guy is from my town, and happens to own one of the 2 tour bus depots on the property. He takes us in like family and gives us the grand tour of Flying Baron Estates, including driving over to the front lawn of "The White House" as they refer to it. Anywho, how lucky is that!? The first person I meet 3000 miles away from home is a guy from my town. A minute earlier, or later I'd be on my way to see some bigass mouse in Orlando. Thanks Joe!

Here's some pictures
Enjoy
slingblade
Mass Poster

Re: Recent Pics from Flying Baron Estates (Crash Site)

Post by slingblade »

I GOT SOME OLDER ONES I FOUND BY A INVESTIGATOR AT THE TIME SHOWS THE PLACE UP IN FLAMES RHOADS WASNT FOUND IN THE GARAGE LIKE MOST PEOPLE RUMORED NOT GOING TO POST THOSE ID RATHER NOT REMEMBER THAT DAY
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Thanks for posting those up Doolang. You hit lucky with that guy coming to your rescue and giving you a guided tour. I don't know if it would be a place i'd like to visit ?. I'd rather remember the guy who was on stage doing what he did best playing that guitar. Cheers for the pics :wink: .
slingblade
Mass Poster

Post by slingblade »

YEA THATS RIGHT
Doolang

Post by Doolang »

I didn't mean to upset anyone by posting these. For me, visiting the site helped me understand why my hero isn't around anymore. A bit of closure.

R.I.P. R.R.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

No i'm not upset, great photos and i understand it was a dream come true for you to be there.
waukman

Post by waukman »

I visited Flying Baron Estate last May. I was lucky enough to meet a neighbor that told me a way to get to the private driveway. I was greeted by Jerry and Jack Calhoun. We spent the next hour or so talking about the crash and what he things happened that day. It was a surreal experience! I also have pictures if anyone is interested.
jbailes

Post by jbailes »

I live in Apopka, FL, about 40 minutes from Leesburg. And I was thinking to head over there next March on the 30th anniversary and try to put flowers somewhere where I wouldn't get arrested.
Doolang

Post by Doolang »

waukman wrote:I visited Flying Baron Estate last May. I was lucky enough to meet a neighbor that told me a way to get to the private driveway. I was greeted by Jerry and Jack Calhoun. We spent the next hour or so talking about the crash and what he things happened that day. It was a surreal experience! I also have pictures if anyone is interested.
Hey! I'd like to see the pictures.