Bass Guitar

Tabs, Lessons, Tutorials of all styles. Got a question? Heres where to ask!

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Bass Guitar

Post by Paul Wolfe »

So I traded the V for a bass... anything I should know specific to bass?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: Bass Guitar

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Humorously, I found a website called how-to-play-bass.com by a fellow in London named Paul Wolfe...
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

My son was distraught over my trading the V for the bass... so today I traded a chainsaw for the V. Those pawn Shop folks are gonna just love me soon.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Y'Know, it's kinda sad, bordering on pathetic, how this "community" obsesses over bullshit like the new Ozzy film by his kid, but y'all won't talk about anything in the other forums. You avoid the "Off Topic" like the fucking plague. And if it's not some moron making replicas of Randy's guitars, you don't discuss anything else either.

Back in the day, we made friends here and the friends would comment on the things you posted. Those comments would lead to discussions... so far, Alex is the only one who reads my posts on a regular basis (thanks Alex, you are a true friend).

As for the rest of you (yes, there have been a few replies here and there), what the fuck is up in your lives that this board is no longer important?

I posted about my bass playing because it has me excited about music in a way I haven't been excited since '81 when I heard Randy for the first time. It's a shame that no one cares.

Ultimate Rhoads used to be a family, now it's just a website and that's a shame.
TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Post by TheMrAxeman »

umm i don't know any specific basses, but when my bass player comes over i play his J bass, by fender and it is pretty fun to play. i dont know much about bass but i can play it and slap and stuff i don't like playing it with a pic, did you get a bass even though you got ur V back? they are really fun to play!
Wanna trade boots? email randyrhoadsboots@gmail.com
TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Post by TheMrAxeman »

And I agree with your last comment, I don't like how there are so many new members that obsess with all that stuff, thats why ive stayed off more than usual lately.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Yeah, I now have the V and an Ibanez bass... the V and the Gretsch are collecting dust while I learn to play the bass. In fact, I'm going to sell the Gretsch to help pay for Christmas presents, being unemployed sucks!

I found a site called how-to-play-bass.com which had a unique idea that I've taken hold of. The idea is to learn 50 songs in 50 weeks - or a song a week for a year with leeway for any difficulties along the way. You start with easier songs and work towards a goal song that you consider beyond your reach at the start. For me, the goal song is Temple of Syrinx a year from now.

My son wanted to learn the Disney song Determinate on the guitar (to show off at school in music class I think), so I started my 50 songs with that so we could play together - and because it's pretty much dirt simple. That was last week, this week I am doing Quiet Riot's Picking Up the Pieces. In an hour I had it down, there's a couple variations that I mess up, but for the most part I got it down the first day of the week.

This approach helps with technique - I refuse to use a pick - and working on getting in the groove. I'm having a lot of fun because I'm not intimidated like i was when I started playing guitar.
TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Post by TheMrAxeman »

What kind of Gretsch do you have? that site sounds cool, and sounds really cool. That would be cool for you and your son to play a song together like that, I played in a recital where i used to get lessons and a father and son played eye of the tiger, the father played bass, the son played drums, and my guitar teacher played guitar and they all seemed to have a fun time with it.
this is my favorite thing to play on bass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZDdrUi1HzI
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I remember seeing Primus as the opening act for Public Enemy and Anthrax, Les Claypool is a monster. My idea of bass playing runs more along the lines of this :) To me bass is for the groove of the song, not for soloing, that's the guitar player's job!

My Gretsch is a G5120 Electromatic

TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Post by TheMrAxeman »

that is a beautiful guitar! and actually that is my second fav thing to play, this is number one right here man! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DzoNOBA37A
and i agree about the soloing thing
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Before I started playing bass, I often didn't pay attention to it. Mainly due to listening so intently to the guitar parts, I missed out on some great playing. For instance, I was listening to Smoke on the Water this morning and there is some cool bass work during the verses while Blackmore is playing very basic arpeggiated chords...

I'm also listening to a lot more pop music with some really cool basslines... a lot of the rock stuff is pretty basic. Although I found Breaking the Law to be a challenge with constant 8th notes non-stop. The fingers get tired after a while!

Oh, and Axeman, the Gretsch is going to the pawn shop in about an hour... I'll probably get $225 for it, but the bills need to be paid... I need a job, damn it :|
davidkucharski32

Post by davidkucharski32 »

Working together with the drummer the bass guitar player makes it his place to set and maintain the rhythm and the pace approximately which the whole of that band functions. Bass guitarist are done a tremendous work.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Tonight I'm working on the Slither bassline by Duff McKagen... it's in Drop D tuning and played almost entirely on the low E string. It's actually a fairly simple bassline, note wise, but it's tricky to get up to speed because of the wide interval jumps on one string.

I'm learning it from a Duff instructional video, which is kinda cool, Duff is a very good basss player.

Here is video of Duff playing this very tasty part...
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Although I'm sure no one is reading this thread, I thought I'd add to it again... Here is a fantastic little 'lesson' by the master of funk bass, Bootsy Collins...

I'd recommend this idea to everyone - bassists, guitarists, drummers... if you can get your playing to groove, your audience will be hooked.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

It amazes me how many great bass instructional videos are available! I've got hundreds of guitar instructional videos and most aren't much help...

Here is a great video by someone I'd never heard of!