Studying Classical, Blues and Rock at the Same Time?

Tabs, Lessons, Tutorials of all styles. Got a question? Heres where to ask!

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Rattlesnake

Studying Classical, Blues and Rock at the Same Time?

Post by Rattlesnake »

I've been playing guitar for a few years, but only the last year has been what I would call "really applying myself". I've been taking classical instruction for almost a year and the last 3 months have been learning blues guitar. My instructor is exceptional, having attended a Master Class with Christopher Parkening; my instructor is also a shredder who can play Randy's stuff fluently. Here's my situation:

I'm 47 years old and probably will never be able to play leads like Randy, or any other shredder. I am actually getting good on classical guitar and making decent progress with the blues. Is there a point where trying to learn too many genres can actually diminish progress? I always feel that by practicing one style, the other style can remain stagnant. What's the old saying..." I'd rather know a lot about a little, than a little about a lot". I just don't want to spread myself too thin I guess. Hope this makes sense.

Chaz
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Re: Studying Classical, Blues and Rock at the Same Time?

Post by Axeman1956 »

I am currently 18 and I am learning all these styles together and mixing them together. As Randy always said "To be a great guitarist, you must learn your own style"
Last edited by Axeman1956 on Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: Studying Classical, Blues and Rock at the Same Time?

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Rattlesnake wrote:Is there a point where trying to learn too many genres can actually diminish progress?
I would say yes.

Randy Rhoads started out playing blues-based rock, became fluent at that and then started branching out and adding other genres to the foundation of the blues-rock approach. He also played everything under the sun in his lessons... I've heard him play stuff by Aerosmith, the Stones and Electric Light Orchestra in lessons. Those bands were blues-based rock guitar.

My suggestion would be to pick the style you enjoy the most and get good at that, after a year of focused study, add the flavor of other styles to the main course you've been working on.

At 45 I switched from guitar to bass and I'm learning more disco and funk stuff because the bass lines are more interesting and fun. However I have a 30+ year foundation of rock guitar to build my bass playing on...

As long as you are enjoying what you are learning and playing, you're gold... be the best you you can be and don't try too hard to be Randy or anyone else.

To quote Slash: "Imitation should remain a stepping stone for a player to find his or her own voice, but it must never become his or her voice: no one should emulate their heroes to the point of note-for-note mimicry. Guitar is too personal of an expression for that..."