Help An old guy starting out on guitar <----That's me :)

Tabs, Lessons, Tutorials of all styles. Got a question? Heres where to ask!

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

yllektmas

Help An old guy starting out on guitar <----That's me :)

Post by yllektmas »

First off, I would like to say how wonderful it is to find this page. This is my first post, so thank you's are in order for you all. Thank you everyone for posting and sharing.

Now, I am 41 yrs old, and have been a Randy fan since Blizzard of Ozz came out. That album is why I started playing music, though I became a drummer instead due to everyone I knew wanting to be guitarists and the only way to get into a band was by me being a drummer :)

So, now 100 years later, I am in a new band, but this time playing guitar and singing. Punk/alternative stuff, and I am self taught (no lessons ever) but I want to expand and follow my dream from when I was a child, which is to play like my Idol....Randy Rhoads. I know it's ;ate to start playing, but if I can even get 1/4 close I would be happy. Even though, I would like to get as close as possible.

Anyone have any tips? Maybe someone who actually study with Randy? What kind of material did he teach? Does anyone have notes from their lessons with Randy?

Thank you bunch ahead of time,
Yllek
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Re: Help An old guy starting out on guitar <----That's me :)

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Hi Yilek

Firstly a very warm welcome to the site!

I am sure she wont me saying... but if you befirend Janet Robin on faceboo,k she is always quick at getting back with questions re learning with Randy - She is just a lovely lady and great musician. Also Robert La Fond has a great book called Memoires and Memories of an aspiring Rhoads scholar. It has all print outs of Randy'r writing an sections on scales, improvisation etc. iIt is an ace book!!!

http://rhoadsscholar.com/

Cheers

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
yllektmas

Post by yllektmas »

Thank you Cpt Matt Sparrow :)

I will check out your suggestions. The book sounds really interesting, I will definitely have to get that one.

Also, thank you for the welcome here at this wonderful site. :)

I started off as a drummer back in the late 80's, then switched to vocals with an interest in guitar sometime in the late 90's/early 00's. I can't believe it took me this long to actually sit down and try to really learn to play the guitar. The band I am in now I sing and play guitar for and we are releasing 8 full length albums this year (to make up for the last 16 years of taking a break.)

The 8 albums we are writing and recording are influenced by the music we were into at that time (starting with 95-97 for the first album and then by the 8th album we're going to be up to date with what we listen to now) Somewhere in the mix will be our metal album and I want to be able to pull it off. Tough I know that 8 months isn't enough time to pull off anything Randy did, but I would like to represent somewhat of an influence.

Every time I pick up my guitar, I think of Randy. Like I said earlier, he was my inspiration for getting into music when I was a kid.

Much love to this site!!!!

Yllek
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

yllektmas wrote:Thank you Cpt Matt Sparrow :)

Every time I pick up my guitar, I think of Randy. Like I said earlier, he was my inspiration for getting into music when I was a kid.

Much love to this site!!!!

Yllek
Hi Yllek

You are welcome :fish:

Passionate/positive people are the people I enjoy talking with and in real life and also jamming, talking and drinking with too!!
I am with you! I find myself so often with a feeling and a picture of Randy Rhoads in my mind when I am trying to better myself. A true inspiration!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
yllektmas

Post by yllektmas »

Cpt Matt Sparrow

I had the pleasure of seeing Janet performing Live last night. She is amazing. Thank you again for recommending her.

Anyway, just wanted to give you a very big Thank You!!!!!

Yllek