Tom hess lessons

Tabs, Lessons, Tutorials of all styles. Got a question? Heres where to ask!

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

sbjch1997

Tom hess lessons

Post by sbjch1997 »

Has anyone here ever tried the tom hess improvisation training classes? I want to improve my soloing but im not sure if this is worth it.
Tito
Mass Poster

Re: Tom hess lessons

Post by Tito »

hey try youtube and look up robert lee molten lessons...he breaks down modes blues rhythm and he does it in a way that anybody can learn...his vids helped me so much its crazy...robert lee molten lessons........dont know if his stuff is on there still but its worth a look...will save you money too..
sbjch1997

Post by sbjch1997 »

thanks but i think im a little more advanced than
classicalmetal

Post by classicalmetal »

I took correspondence lessons from him but I was not to impressed. It's not that I felt ripped off necessarily because he gave enough material but they didn't really tie into anything. They were advertised as custom lessons for each student but they were just predone material. This is fine but their was no real structure to them. It would be a page on sweeping picking exercises, a sheet on arpeggios, another on picking techniques, some articles on something totally different and a video or two on yet something else totally different. None of it connecting to the other. The sheets didn't even have any written material with it explaining what to do with the sheets or how to apply the material to real music. As I said some of the articles I enjoyed and a couple video's but the rest I put away and never looked at it again. Needless to say I stopped after a couple months.

This has helped me because I have been working on a course on pentatonic scales and I have kept this in mind while I'm writing it. I'm making a conscious effort to make sure everything ties in and there is never an instance where someone will be confused as to what is being presented or how to apply the material to actual music.

Tom does have some good articles and lessons but I have found that alot of his lessons and courses you pay for are hyped up alot higher then the quality of the material really is.

One thing I would highly recommend to you is to take a look a Troy Stetina's books. All his lead and rhythm books are great but the real cream of the crop is the Speed Mechanics and Fretboard Mastery books. For lead the Lead vol 1 and 2 are great also. They average about $20 a book so you won't go broke buying them and they will keep you busy for a long time!