working on rhythm playing

Tabs, Lessons, Tutorials of all styles. Got a question? Heres where to ask!

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

working on rhythm playing

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I posted this in another thread:

Paul Wolfe wrote:I've been working through lessons by Paul Wolfe (no relation) on rhythm and finding the bass a LOT more challenging than I thought it'd be.

For example, he took a 2 bar bass part by Flea and reduced it to playing only the C note on the 3rd string 3rd fret (5th string 3rd fret on guitar) while keeping the rhythm the same - 8th notes and 16th notes... the part I SUCK at is that in the first bar you hit beat 3 & (8th notes) but then hold the note over the 4 then play the & a to finish the bar... I can't do it because I desperately want to hit on 1 2 3 & 4 as well as the "& a" parts between them...

It's an amazing lesson and practice tool, I'll see if I can write it out for a guitar part to demonstrate it.

I took the first 4 bars of the verse from Crazy Train to write out this concept for guitar. I used this because I have always struggled with getting the open A pedal note to sound right....

First I tabbed out the part, then I went back and reduced everything to open A notes while keeping the note values the same. The full tempo is 138 bpm, so as an exercise it should be played between 60 & 80 bpm to get a solid hold on the rhythm. Counting each note is also important: 1-e-and-a-2-e-and-a...

******unfortunately this section does not allow me to add the jpeg of the tab, I've sent a copy to the admin to add to this thread*********