I want to learn how to play guitar..help?

Tabs, Lessons, Tutorials of all styles. Got a question? Heres where to ask!

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

classicalmetal

Re: I want to learn how to play guitar..help?

Post by classicalmetal »

You guys talk about these famous players or players you know that are great players who are completely self taught. This goes back to my point where these players are in the minority. I never said it was not possible but this really only works with people that are highly motivated and very thorough in teaching themselves. This is not the majority of people that pick up the guitar. Even some of these players may sound great when they play in front of you. Most people can pick up some tabs and teach themselves how to play some songs eventually. What happens when you ask them to improvise or create some original material. Do they play over the complete neck, if I change keys will they know how to follow me etc.... More likely then not you will find some very weak areas even if they sound as good as Randy Rhoads himself. My point here is most players are not like these few individuals that have been able to excel. Here is the likely scenerio:

Someone picks up the guitar and tries to play. They go online and check out the free lessons and buy a few books. They start to struggle and don't know why because the guy in the video is doing it fine. They then try to play some of their favorite songs and it sounds nothing like the record. They start thinking that maybe they just do not have the talent it takes. In the worst case scenario they end up quitting. Others may persevere and continue on. They learn a couple licks or even some complete easy songs but some of these songs they want to learn are just out of their grips. Eventually they may get to the point where they can play the songs they are trying to play. They now want to write their own material. They start taking stabs at it but they either start to sound like the players they have been working on or they just can't seem to come up with anything that sounds any good. Eventually with persistence with alot of trial and error they figure it out. Then the next song comes up and they end up using similar chords because that is all they know. They go online and learn some new chords but they have no idea of what key they fit in so they just do the trial and error thing again and after awhile they figure it out. Now this is someone that has persistence and keep pushing.

Now think about it. How long do you think it would take this kid to get to just this point? I would figure awhile. How long do you think it would take this kid to get to that point had he had a good teacher? The teacher would have been able to teach the kid these chords, the correct techniques, fixed any bad habits he was starting to form on his own and taught him the music theory behind what he was learning. This way he can concentrate on creating instead of trial and error stabbing at would might work and might not. Plus on top of that he could ask questions and get instant answers. With the right teacher this person can get just as good, most likely much better, in at least half the amount of time the trial and error way went.

Think of how silly this way of going about it is. You have a teacher that has been where you have been before. He has made the same or similar mistakes which he either went to a teacher himself or experimented until he found the correct way. He then became a good solid musician and maybe even went to college for music. Through experience he has learned the most effective ways to teach different learning styles and the best order of how to learn these things. If he is a good teacher he will be solid in all the fundamental concept needed to become a solid musician. Now do you think you will learn more from this guy or a book and free video's off of youtube? Starting to sound like maybe not the best way of going about it?

If you are someone that is a complete beginner and not sure if guitar is going to be your cup of tea then yes get your finger wet and just buy a book or check out some free stuff on the web. This can get you started. If after this you find you really like it and can afford it, or your parents will pay, then I would suggest finding a good teacher and really absorb what he teaches. Don't just suck in the parts you want. Learn it all! It will pay off in the end. Also there are crappy teachers out there also so if you have put in the effort and you are not improving at all then maybe it's time to try someone else out.

Now if you can't afford a teacher and the book/video way is all you can do then ask around and find out some that are recommended. If you are into metal then I recommend Metal Method and Troy Stetina series. Then as questions may come up find out if you can take a one off lesson with someone. Do yourself a favor and ask around who the best teacher around is. It's better to pay $50 for a good lesson then pay $25 for someone that doesn't know their ass from their elbow.

As I first wrote, I have been on both sides of the coin. When I was a young teen I tried lessons a couple times and didn't want to learn what they wanted to teach me. So I quit! One of them looking back now I think was a crappy teacher but the others were actually excellent teachers. I was just pigheaded and was going to do it on my own. I bought tons of books and cassette type courses which did help me to a point. The point where I really started to excel is when I finally said that is it I'm going to find a good teacher and get serious! My playing improved dramatically and all these questions I had for years were answered as fast as I could get them out of my mouth. So as a musician that has learned both ways, if you can afford it or have someone pay for you go the lesson route. It will save you alot of frustration and get you where you want much quicker!
Destiny B

Post by Destiny B »

thank you, i have a friend who is okay, i guess i'll go with him until i can get the money to find a real teacher, that and online lessons so i can get really good eventually. thanks :)
"I Love my rainbow family...we're like a pack of skittles."
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

I think once you are up and running, after a few years perhaps; booking lessons with different teachers is great for personal development and getting a different slant on things. I love the famous Charlie Parker quote; I think this says it all to me...

"You've got to learn your instrument. Then, you practice, practice, practice. And then, when you finally get up there on the bandstand, forget all that and just wail."
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Matt, I like the old C.C. Deville quote:

"If you can't do it right, do it anyway!"
classicalmetal

Post by classicalmetal »

Destiny B wrote:thank you, i have a friend who is okay, i guess i'll go with him until i can get the money to find a real teacher, that and online lessons so i can get really good eventually. thanks :)
Yea, that would be an ok way to start if you are tight on the cash. Even if he is just ok he can still help you get through the beginning stages. If you can scrunge up any money at all I would highly recommend checking out the Metal Method dvd.s which are very cheap and the Troy Stetina's lead and rhythm book series. The lead series can come at you pretty quick. The techniques in there go from beginner to intermediate very quickly. He even said in an interview it was made more for the intermediate player. It will improve your playing though if you are up for the challenge. The Metal Method ones are a little easier for a beginner to manage. Good luck to you!
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

I completely missed this thread. Shame on me! As a guitar teacher I have run into every scenario as well.

Here's my philosophy: Some students know nothing while others have taken lessons in some form and had to move and start over again. As a teacher I always look at the age of the student first. A 5 year-old will look at the guitar completely differently than a 16 year-old who has an iPod and already downloads TABs from the internet. Some students are stubborn while others are all smiles and practice daily. Parents have a lot to do with whether or not a student practices. ENCOURAGEMENT is essential to playing the guitar. It is a challenging instrument by far. I would say that it is the primary reason students really quit. When something is hard to do we all need encouragement to help us continue progressing. Personally speaking, I like students that are true beginners because they do listen better. Advanced students (for me) usually can play for the viewing public and they are usually just afraid or have doubts about playing in front of people. That is usually the reason they come in for a lesson. They want to know everything. The problem is you can't know everything all at once. Life will teach you that learning is a non stop process. You will have to make mistakes. A teacher cannot take away all of your insecurities before you play in front of people. Most insecurities come out of competition anyway. "I've got to be better than so and so." Be the best YOU can be and everything else will fall in line. If you love to play guitar people will see that. That is how you gain an audience's appreciation. When they see you smile, they smile. If you look worried, they feel worried. It's weird but it is true...

Great opinions everyone. I mean it.
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
Destiny B

Post by Destiny B »

Yea, I'm really shy and when I'm around people I don't really do my best on anything. I feel under pressure. I no people and i can probably get my hands on those dvds
"I Love my rainbow family...we're like a pack of skittles."
Whipper
Cool Member

Post by Whipper »

I had learned with the original Metal Method audio cassette/booklet course by Doug Marks back in the '80s. Nearly 30 years later, and Doug is still around with DVD lessons now, which I'm going though now as I started playing again last year. I've checked out some other material, and I still find it to be the best course - very well laid out with a good pace. He's really refined it over the years.
Ric

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

classicalmetal wrote:Here is the likely scenerio:

Someone picks up the guitar and tries to play. They go online and check out the free lessons and buy a few books. They start to struggle and don't know why because the guy in the video is doing it fine. They then try to play some of their favorite songs and it sounds nothing like the record. They start thinking that maybe they just do not have the talent it takes. In the worst case scenario they end up quitting...

Think of how silly this way of going about it is. You have a teacher that has been where you have been before. He has made the same or similar mistakes which he either went to a teacher himself or experimented until he found the correct way... Now do you think you will learn more from this guy or a book and free video's off of youtube? Starting to sound like maybe not the best way of going about it?

I realize this thread is a year old, but I've been thinking about it a lot lately because of my decision to switch to bass. I cannot afford a teacher since I'm unemployed with a family to feed, so my only choice is the Internet.

What I found is a called How-to-play-bass.com. I challenge anyone reading this post to click on the link and spend 2 minutes on the page that opens up. Paul Wolfe (nice name, huh?) has created a site that teaches bass over the Internet! You learn actual songs at his site! Regardless of what you've heard, ALL the great guitar players started out by learning other people's songs. Through songs you can learn technique and after you can play songs you can learn the theory behind how they were written. With committed practice you can become fairly accomplished in a year.

It'd be nice to find a guitar player who would create a site like this without charging an arm and a leg for the info.

Go on, click the link, check it out and then maybe one of you accomplished guys can inspire thousands of kids by creating a site to help them learn to play guitar... talk about continuing Randy's legacy, he inspired you, now maybe you can pay it forward and inspire the next generation.
realira

Post by realira »

theres more than

a few ways ta look at

music

when ya grasp that yull

understand

very much

when it comes ta single note

technique

studyin tha modes are

essential

ya see tha simplicity of em

and tha growin ya

need personally as a

guitarist with em

in short time

any lesson on modes

id be happy ta

give ya

ya gotta get them

in yer skull

and werk wit em

fer some years

thats tha liquified form

a tha chords

tha entire theory of

tha whole

instrument

if approached properly

slainte!
kamalayka
Cool Member

Post by kamalayka »

wareagle wrote:thats true, i dont mean much offence but when i hear someone say theyre "self taught" i expect the worst honestly, however theres always that exception, some people that do it right, read up study hard and all that can be just as good as lets say someone with the same amount of musicality as someone who is taught, however i dont see it happening too much. and personally id recommend a teacher, however the downside is money..
I'm self-taught and I'm decent. (Then again, I had a couple years of counterpoint and four part bullsh*t as a kid, so the theory aspect was already there.)