Good ways to reduce fret hand/arm tension

Tabs, Lessons, Tutorials of all styles. Got a question? Heres where to ask!

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

NoQuattro
Cool Member

Good ways to reduce fret hand/arm tension

Post by NoQuattro »

I've dedicated the past 3 days to learning Over the Mountain. When the first lick in the solo comes up, I'm having trouble playing it without getting a lot of tension in my picking hand and arm. Any good ways to eliminate this? Not sure why I'm tensing up, but I'm probably doing it because I know the lick is a monster and I want to nail it.
"Everyone says theres nothing new that can be done with a guitar, but when people like Randy come along, they realize they're wrong." -- Angus Young, AC/DC
wareagle
Mass Poster

Re: Good ways to reduce fret hand/arm tension

Post by wareagle »

slow it down, dont be too tense. i always say to practice things you cant do up with a metranome. so get a metranome and set it low and practice it, get it precise and sounding right before you up the tempo. and play loosey goosey, just like jack black :)
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

the same exact thing happens to me when i try something new then try to record it in time i tense up like hell!!!i think it has to do with the brain knowing what your fingers want to do and your fingers arent quite ready lol!!!i found myself tensed up a few times then i look down and it looks like im trying to snap my guitar in half!!!!what i do is put the guitar down for a bit then i warm up again ignoring what i was trying to do before then come back to it and boom i nail it!!try to keep your shoulders as relaxed as possible also..good luck!
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

...also have a bowl of hot water that you bath your hands in for a few minutes and after every 10 minutes or so just bath them for a few more minutes. I bet you are pressing too hard too on the left hand too? Tension can also show in the mouth; it is common for people to grit their teeth hard when a difficult passage comes up. The way to combat this is to breathe though the mouth and like Elliot says practice very slowly and relaxed.

I practice loads with just playing in the areas of the fret board and not committing to a press. That way my hands stay relaxed and when I am ready to start playing properly, my left hand is as light as a feather because my muscle memory has been fooled into thinking in a 'light way' with the pressure I put on a string.

I hope that makes sense.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

thanks matt!!im practicing on a phrygian major mode and i caught myself GRITTING MY TEETH!!!!!!!!!LOL!!!!thank you amigo!!!!
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

wareagle wrote:smoke some herb...

Really?

The best thing to do is play the lick s l o w l y during the learning process. Go slow and get it nailed, then slowly speed up the tempo until you've got it. Playing it PERFECT @ 75% speed is better than tense and sloppy @ 100%.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

i was joking chill...
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

wareagle wrote:i was joking chill...
I realize that... I was asking if it really helps as I've never used it and assumed it would relax you to the point of sloppiness. No offense intended.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

I agree with Matt on the hot water tip. It especialy helps if you suffer with cold hands like me. And as Matt said; you may be playing too hard, light as a feather is the way to go!

It may be simply worth reviewing your technique, and in doing so improving stamina. If your left hand is tense, finger independance exercises are the way to go. With the right hand i find a lot of tension comes from not having full mastery of the rhythm of a lick, practicing slowly to a beat helps.

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Rob, I am having a hand massage tomorrow. I have them once a month or every other month depending on circumstances and have done for about 8 years or so. They definitely keep things loose in your technique.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »