Guitar Playing Advice

Tabs, Lessons, Tutorials of all styles. Got a question? Heres where to ask!

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Guitar Playing Advice

Post by Paul Wolfe »

So yesterday I watched a webcast at Lick Library by Danny Gill - the guy who did the RR solos DVD and found it interesting to here him answer questions in real time...

Back in February I watched a webcast by Stuart Bull - Lick Library's founder - and he had great advice for guitar players learning to solo:
Stuart Bull wrote: Q. Do you have any tips on improvisation?

A. My main tip on improvisation is doing be afraid to be terrible. The reason that people find improvising is hard, is that the first time you start you aren’t going to sound that great. It’s like chatting up a girl, if you think you’ve said something rubbish you’re not going to want to say anything else and that’s the same with improvising, if you start… and you don’t play something good, you tend to give up. You have to go through that barrier and keep going back.
I love that analogy! If we all quit talking to the opposite sex after the first attempt failed, there'd be a lot fewer people on the planet! :lol:

Anyone else have advice that has stuck with them?
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

:) that is cool Paul!

My teacher said to me "do you know the difference between a very good guitarist and an excellent one? He replied to his own question saying "the excellent guitarist is more fussy and has absolutely no tolerance towards anything not 100 pecent right"

Him saying that makes me stop in my tracks when practising and think 'is that really the best I can possibly do?' when I feel I have 'got' something...

This teacher was great at making all his students feel like they could ALL achieve great things as long as they had enthusiasm and diligence.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt