Something I noticed...

Tabs, Lessons, Tutorials of all styles. Got a question? Heres where to ask!

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Something I noticed...

Post by skezza »

I noticed that many Ozzy tabs, transcripts etc are not available. Songs like Never Know Why etc are almost impossible to find on the internet. Therefore, if anyone has tabs etc to songs such as Never Know Why, Fool Like You and other lesser known songs, I would like to construct a library so users can download them from here, seeing as they just dont seem to be available on the net. :(
JustTakeAPebble
Mass Poster

Post by JustTakeAPebble »

That would be great I mean I'd love to learn songs like Never, Fool Like You, Slow Down (full tab, not a section of it x_x)

Simon
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Re: Something I noticed...

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

skezza wrote:I noticed that many Ozzy tabs, transcripts etc are not available. Songs like Never Know Why etc are almost impossible to find on the internet. Therefore, if anyone has tabs etc to songs such as Never Know Why, Fool Like You and other lesser known songs, I would like to construct a library so users can download them from here, seeing as they just dont seem to be available on the net. :(
Hi Joe

I have spoke to Ian and am completely up for transcribing some pieces for the site if I am able to help a tall?

All I would need, not being computer savvy, is directions how I can write and post a tab transcription. I have a mac osx

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
ken01fan
Cool Member

Post by ken01fan »

Maybe these will help Matt, I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for or not?..
http://www.blanksheetmusic.net/blank_gu ... ingtab.php[/url]
Randy Rhoads: Simply the best!!
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Hi ken

Thanks for that! :)
Yes that saves laods of writing for sure.

If no one does it before, in 4 weeks I have 8 weeks holiday (I hate my job..not enough time off :) ) so I would be happy to do some transcribing (within reason!)

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

When I was collecting back in the 80's I am sure I saw 'Ultimate Sin' tab books. I never bought them because they cost more than the albums and I had no use for them.
I think Mtts trasciptions would be the best available if he worked on them though, I have read lots of complaints about pro-made Randy tabs but as an academic I believe Matt would really do Jakes work justice.

Ian
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I think the problem with some folks have (especially RR fans) with pro tab books is that they get hung up on specific fingerings. You can play Paranoid or Iron Man rooted on the 6th string (as Tony does) or on the 5th string (as Randy did) and it sounds pretty much the same to most people. But 'purists' who see live performances or video look at the tab and go, "that's not how he fingered it, so it's wrong, tab books suck."

In my opinion, tab books are great for getting the gist of a song, but should never be used to go note-for-note. Too many players are hung up on being precise in copying songs to the point that they never develop their own personality. Randy played 3 Sabbath songs live, he got the gist (the basics) of the song down and then did them his way. Some might say he couldn't reproduce them note-for-note, some would say he didn't want to... the point being that guitar players shouldn't get so hung up on the details and should keep their personality in their playing.
JustTakeAPebble
Mass Poster

Post by JustTakeAPebble »

I prefer Randy's paranoid to Tony's where Tony's sound like a chugging punk riff, Randy just gives it zeus style and strikes a lightning bolt up its ass...

putting it politely...

Where tony iommi is a good player in his own right, the original Black Sabbath recording drags on in my opinion, however randy playing gives it energy and shows
his own identity too by putting a completely new solo over it.

Simon
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Paul Wolfe wrote:I think the problem with some folks have (especially RR fans) with pro tab books is that they get hung up on specific fingerings. You can play Paranoid or Iron Man rooted on the 6th string (as Tony does) or on the 5th string (as Randy did) and it sounds pretty much the same to most people. But 'purists' who see live performances or video look at the tab and go, "that's not how he fingered it, so it's wrong, tab books suck."

In my opinion, tab books are great for getting the gist of a song, but should never be used to go note-for-note. Too many players are hung up on being precise in copying songs to the point that they never develop their own personality. Randy played 3 Sabbath songs live, he got the gist (the basics) of the song down and then did them his way. Some might say he couldn't reproduce them note-for-note, some would say he didn't want to... the point being that guitar players shouldn't get so hung up on the details and should keep their personality in their playing.
I agree the interpretation should always be individual, but the source has to be as accurate as possible to begin with... no?

Matt
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I'd say the original tab should be pretty accurate, but I guess what I was getting at is that any fingering that sounds like the recording is a good one. And if a certain fingering is easier to play, then that's good, too. If you can make the tab note-for-note perfect, that's great. If you cannot make it 100% note-for-note perfect, but can get close and give the general feel of the song, that's good enough.

I used to look for Cheap Trick tabs and could never find perfect, complete tabs. What I could find were tabs which would give me the chord structure and major riffs. This got me to the point where I could play along with the recording with the exclusion of the solo. Eventually I'd figure out how to play solos that fit and were similar... I think that helps a player find a voice.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

JustTakeAPebble wrote:I prefer Randy's paranoid to Tony's where Tony's sound like a chugging punk riff, Randy just gives it zeus style and strikes a lightning bolt up its ass...

putting it politely...

Where tony iommi is a good player in his own right, the original Black Sabbath recording drags on in my opinion, however randy playing gives it energy and shows
his own identity too by putting a completely new solo over it.

Simon
LOL, I feel pretty much the opposite, especially when it comes to Paranoid. You could TELL that Randy didn't give a crap about Sabbath when you heard him play Paranoid. He did do Children of the Grave pretty well, but Paranoid? Yeow. Not my favorite Randy moments. I don't think Randy's improv skills were as good as Tony's...but I think that's cause Tony is more of a rooted blues player than him.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Nicole,

That made me smile, not a big fan of Paranoid eh? :)

Hi Paulie,

ah I see what you mean. Yes Great points.
Sometimes you have to use different fingerings to actually make it sound more like the one you are trying to imitate too, as your hand span etc maybe so different!

Matt
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Exactly, Matt!

The same notes occur in multiple locations, yet some people see a tab with the right notes and then go to, say, the After Hours video and say, "That's not how Randy played it, he was in 3rd position..." That crap bugs the hell out of me!

Listen to the Kinks play You Really Got Me and then listen to Van Halen play it. Ed made it his own by getting the spirit of the song and the basic structure and then improvising. That's what made him great! Anyone can learn a tune note for note and play it like the original, but if that's all you're gonna do, why not just listen to the record. Even Randy played his own songs different live.

That's one area I respect Zakk in, he is not afraid to change Randy's songs a bit to suit his style.