Hybrid picking

Tabs, Lessons, Tutorials of all styles. Got a question? Heres where to ask!

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Blight

Post by Blight »

Maybe you have small hands?

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Blight wrote:Maybe you have small hands?
No, my hands are actually fairly big. Small frets are just easier to play somehow. Maybe it's because I don't have a very light touch when I play?
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blight

Post by Blight »

My name is Billy. . . . ?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Matthew wrote:I am receiving a message you are called Johnny..no..it is vague Jimmy? Yes Jimmy!
Okay, it's spelled wrong to be Hendrix, so do you mean Page? Jimmy Page is interested in the size of my hands and helping me with hybrid picking? AWESOME!!
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Blight wrote:My name is Billy. . . . ?
And where is your island Billy? :D
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
tedeeoo
Madman

Hybrid Picking Revisited

Post by tedeeoo »

I noticed an old thread about this, are you still interested in it Paul? I may be able to help a bit.

Ted
"The Only Two Things In Life That Make It Worth Livin"
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: Hybrid Picking Revisited

Post by Paul Wolfe »

tedeeoo wrote:I noticed an old thread about this, are you still interested in it Paul? I may be able to help a bit.

Ted

I've actually gotten better at it thanks to a DVD by Doug Seven on country guitar, but any suggestions you've got would be appreciated.
tedeeoo
Madman

Re: Hybrid picking

Post by tedeeoo »

Hey Paul,

One thing I have always done, and still do that works pretty well is to play a run, we'll say a major scale, and alternate between the pick and fingers per each string. For example, you'd play the Low E string with the pick, the A string with the middle finger, the D with the pick, the G with either the middle or ring finger, etc. It works really good because its really easy to convert to patterns and different phrasings.

Another really good thing to do is playing what I call pedal tones, where you kind of "bounce" a rhythm part between the pick and the fingers, this also lends really well to incorporate playing double stops (ala Scotty Anderson) and in Scotty's case triple stops too.

Players like Brent Mason incorporate alot of open strings within the runs they do, I'd start with things in "E", "A" or "G" as they lend a little better to that.

One other thing I do is where you'll take a note that you'd ordinarily hit with the pick and bend and do with your fingers ala Albert Collins, or play two notes with the fingers (say the A and F# of a basic D chord) but then add like a little "flamenco flail" to it, and run it up or down the fretboard, I got that from Mark Matekja when he was with Charlie Daniels (he is now with Lynyrd Skynryd), you can hear Mark do this lick on the CDB live album that he is on.

And if you are familiar with Pete Anderson, who used to be with Dwight Yoakum, I have always loved how he'll take a two note melody and move it up and down the fretboard playing one note with the pick and the other at the same time with his fingers, sometimes he plays both with his fingers. (Guitars,Cadillacs,2nd solo)

If you can find it, Scotty Anderson did an excellent video with Hot Licks several years ago, he is an absolute monster player, I know you like Brent Mason and he may have a video as well. And if you can find it, Ray Flacke, who is one of my all-time favorite "tele" pickers did one too.

Hope maybe I helped a little,
Ted
"The Only Two Things In Life That Make It Worth Livin"