Hybrid picking

Tabs, Lessons, Tutorials of all styles. Got a question? Heres where to ask!

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Hybrid picking

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I've been showing my son how to play some guitar and, after seeing a Brad Paisley video, he asked about 'using your fingers to pick'. I told him it's called 'hybrid picking' and explained the idea, but since I SUCK at using my fingers to pick I can't really show him how to do it.

So, I am wondering if anyone has any good hybrid picking exercises? So far the best I've come up with is showing him to play strings 6 & 5 with a pick, strings 4 & 3 with the middle finger and strings 2 & 1 with the ring finger. Then I have him play a major scale across the neck playing the strings as outlined above.

Does that sound like a reasonable start?
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Hi Paul

Well as it goes I am new to it and exactly where your son is, with the advantage that I am used to using my fingers.
However using pick and fingers together is new to me and something I find hard, so in my perverse way thought "I must try this" :)

What you are having him do is a great idea. I have found songs like Led Zeppelin's 'Babe i'm Gonna Leave you' good to practice this because they make use of the pick on strings 5 and 4 and then the fingers have to finish off.

It is great your son is following in his dad's footsteps.

Matt
Last edited by Cpt Matt Sparrow on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

ps. Guitar techniques has had loads of stuff on Hybrid picking this last several months. You can back order them too.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

thanks Matt
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Hey Paul,

that must be pretty cool teaching your son 8)

matts right guitar techniques had a masterclass on hybrid picking a bit back, i used it to get me learning although i never got to the end of it. i've since moved on to abandoning the pick altogether and using finger and thumb ala Jeff Beck.

I've found it really crucial to develop good legato when hybrid picking since faster lines (if you dont chicken pick) are a bit hard. Starting out using only one picking finger makes sense as well.

i cant post up the article in GT's since i dont have a scanner but if i can find the mag i could possible tab some stuff out or powertab it etc. i could also maybe put some youtube stuff up in terms of audio.

Rob
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Rob, that would be great, thank you.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I've actually made a bit of progress on hybrid picking. Well, more than alternate picking anyway!
Gabriel Raphael
Cool Member

Post by Gabriel Raphael »

So glad you posted this topic,

I have always hybrid picked., really helps when you need to reach those notes get squeels or a certain feel for any style.

I recorded a few youtube videos which i will post as soon as i can manage them in a format to be more presentable, seems like keeping your videos short, simple and less then 5 minutes is the best way to present something.

I was really glad to see Matt on youtube playing Randy's spotlight solo, i know Randy was doing this solo to please Ozzy and show off with his skills, he had no problem doing the VH tricks and coming up with his own stuff at the same time.
Last edited by Gabriel Raphael on Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Hi Gabriel

How are you doing?

Interesting read thanks.I look forward to your videos my friend.

Matt
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Any suggestions on getting started with hybrid picking, Gabriel? My son and I are much more interested in the country playing of Brent Mason than in the classical stuff, but technique is technique and can be adapted.
Gabriel Raphael wrote:If you have long nails and play classical you will also need jumbo fretted guitars like Randy's Jacksons or a Les Paul Custom.
Actually, I remember an interview from days gone by where Randy had small frets put on his guitars because he said he couldn't play 'big frets', but I see what you mean.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Ok, this is a stupid question, but what is a "big fret"? I always imagined that they were the space between each metal fret thinger and the other metal fret thinger...
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

big as in tall, more space from the top of the fret to the fingerboard. Randy bought a Black Beauty Les Paul known as a 'fretless wonder' because the frets were so small.
Gabriel Raphael
Cool Member

Post by Gabriel Raphael »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Any suggestions on getting started with hybrid picking, Gabriel? My son and I are much more interested in the country playing of Brent Mason than in the classical stuff, but technique is technique and can be adapted.
Gabriel Raphael wrote:If you have long nails and play classical you will also need jumbo fretted guitars like Randy's Jacksons or a Les Paul Custom.
Actually, I remember an interview from days gone by where Randy had small frets put on his guitars because he said he couldn't play 'big frets', but I see what you mean.
The one thing that took me a long time to get used to was using all 5 fingers of my right hand for picking, flesh or nails, tapping and anything else i can imagine, so many possibilities, show him stuff that is fun, like Van Hallen, mix it all up, i plan to do this too with my 3 boys here.

Brent Mason is a very very good player, i also have those plastic nail picks around., i love that stuff, what i do is way off center, more jazz fusion and maybe too trippy for someone young like your son, i guess if you can play something he likes it will stick., worked for me.

I do like Steve Morse allot, but iam more into Brett Garsed, Gambali , Scott Henderson, Holdsworth and Robert Frip, pretty nerdy hey :) , but like i get my chops from the types of techniques these guys developed and then apply them to songs when jamming.

The last mind blowing guitarists i found to hybrid pick that was fun was Brian Setzer, he has a video and i think he covered everything cool about this subject.

As for guitars:
I read guys saying they want jumbo frets cause Randy had them on his jacksons RR1s etc ect, Les Paul Customs also have wider frets as well., but if you have nails on your right hand it makes sense if not i can not see the justification.

Fenders and Kramers like the guitars Hendrix, Clapton and Eddie Van Hallan's use have Maple fingerboards, these are types of fingerboards to feel your hand grinding into them, jumbo frets help also bend some more semi tones alike scalloped fingerboards which can go even a tiny bit deeper.

I got my wife a "HELLO KITTY" Strat for example, this guitar is a trip, i set it up with Amplitube on a iMac, plugs it directly into 1/4 jack to mini plug adapter of the mic input on the computer and it sounds really cool, we also have line 6 interfaces, Pro tools HD and a Apogee DUET but this is simple and works, while the guitar is a cheap make it plays like Eddie Van Hallens red one, i tried that 20k version and i told the guy after me in line to buy a "Hello Kitty" and add a Dimarzio distortion pick up, get a delay and flange pedal plugged up direct into a marshall amp and he has Eddies guitar, sound etc.

I had to edit my post a few times, they are hard to read with the foto of the DMM tour in the background, hope i did not annoy anyone.
But check out these videos below on youtube.
[youtube] http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9JzCvBukBc [/youtube]

watch these too, its what i would want my kids to start learning now :) takes years to learn.: [youtube]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rqZWL38ID ... re=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6YJ2P1fvY ... re=related[/youtube]

The picture below is how my right hand looks with a jumbo fretted guitar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gabriel Raphael on Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blight

Post by Blight »

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I've had all kinds of guitars over the years, and, personally, I prefer small frets. I don't know why exactly, but I'm more comfortable with a guitar like that.