Using Fretboard Diagrams

Tabs, Lessons, Tutorials of all styles. Got a question? Heres where to ask!

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Using Fretboard Diagrams

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Dan wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:I was surprised to learn that Paul Gilbert writes stuff out on fretboard diagrams to understand concepts and drum up new ideas.
Could you expand on the process and show a diagram or two? I am in a rut for the past few days and could use some new insight on something that works.
Paul Gilbert wrote:
“To me, the art of playing fast is building on techniques you already have,â€Â
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

LordThurisaz
Cool Member

Post by LordThurisaz »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Image
Obvious I am not Dan, but thanks a bunch Paul. Gilbert is a total ass kicker on guitar, and his Intense Rock DVD is great. It made me want to grab my guitar to learn the stuff he teaches, and plus he has a great sense of humor. Definitely a great teacher, guitarist, and musician.
LTD FX260 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, E/Drop D]
LTD H500 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, D/Drop C]
LTD H1001 [81/85] [10s, C#/Drop B]
GCB-95 [mod soon]
Boss SD-1 [mod soon]
Fryette Sig:X [soon]
Ampeg V412 [Emi Governor/MOW]
Randall RS412LB [Emi Super V]
DR strings
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Cheers Paul!! great stuff. Again axe on leg in a minute and I shall enjoy looking at these!

Paul is a player that is not my kind of player but a master and innovator...and like Lord said a great teacher.

This is just so damn eloquently put (re the Iommi influence)

“That pull-off is almost like my early DNAâ€â€
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Thanks Paul! :D

I love PG...he's excellent. Probably the best teacher around. 8)
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Another nice quotes from Mr. Gilbert:

Paul Gilbert wrote:
You are often lumped in with shredders like John Petrucci. Considering your opinion of your own style, would you prefer to be put in a group with him or someone like Jimmy Page or Randy Rhoads?

I think as a fan and as a listener: Jimmy Page and Randy Rhoads are where I was coming from. John is certainly a great guitar player, and some of the Dream Theater stuff is killer. And where we’ve ended up is similar: our styles have crossed paths, as far the kind of picking we do and our modern shred tone. I’ve done some tribute gigs with Mike Portnoy, who plays drums with John, and he said John’s influences are really different than mine. Apparently, John was really into progressive rock, like Rush. I love Rush, but at the same time, I have a feeling I went a lot deeper into the pop music of the Beatles, Todd Rundgren and Cheap Trick. It would be a huge honor to be in either category. But I’ve gotta say, if I look to my right, I’ve got a big poster of Jimmy Page hanging on my wall.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I was just checking out PaulGilbert.com and, damn, he's got some funny photoshop experiments.

Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Paul Wolfe wrote:I was just checking out PaulGilbert.com and, damn, he's got some funny photoshop experiments.

I must admit that is the side me and Suzie find him a pillock LMAO!! :D
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
LordThurisaz
Cool Member

Post by LordThurisaz »

Matthew wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:I was just checking out PaulGilbert.com and, damn, he's got some funny photoshop experiments.

He said recently in guitar world that he just can't stop photoshopping his face on other peoples bodies. :lol:
LTD FX260 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, E/Drop D]
LTD H500 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, D/Drop C]
LTD H1001 [81/85] [10s, C#/Drop B]
GCB-95 [mod soon]
Boss SD-1 [mod soon]
Fryette Sig:X [soon]
Ampeg V412 [Emi Governor/MOW]
Randall RS412LB [Emi Super V]
DR strings
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

LordThurisaz wrote:
Matthew wrote:

He said recently in guitar world that he just can't stop photoshopping his face on other peoples bodies. :lol:
Actually I find that endearingly funny as I recognise planet wacko when I see it through a telescope LMAO
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Okay, so I had mentioned that I was working on a progression in D and was using fretboard diagrams to generate ideas.

Here is the progression in PowerTab format and the fretboard diagrams for both the arpeggios and the scales I plan on using.

I thought it'd be fun to have anyone who wants to work out a melody write something out and see how many different ideas might be generated using the same arpeggios and scales.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Here's the progression in pdf because I get a message that ptb files are not allowed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.