listen and learn :)

Tabs, Lessons, Tutorials of all styles. Got a question? Heres where to ask!

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

rice_pudding
Mass Poster

listen and learn :)

Post by rice_pudding »

heres an idea, why dont we have a thread for recomending/discussing albums. I say this because i know that there is a lot of music out there that i havent heard and there are normaly the same reasons for that:
1) I simply havent heard of them
2) In the case of artists with several albums (BB King perhaps) i simply dont know where to start.
3) I get hesitant at handing over cash to buy music i dont really know about.

Some reccomendations would help solve the problem. Listening is always a good source of learning, and finding a new artist with a different slyle can unleash a flood of ideas.
LordThurisaz
Cool Member

Re: listen and learn :)

Post by LordThurisaz »

rice_pudding wrote:heres an idea, why dont we have a thread for recomending/discussing albums. I say this because i know that there is a lot of music out there that i havent heard and there are normaly the same reasons for that:
1) I simply havent heard of them
2) In the case of artists with several albums (BB King perhaps) i simply dont know where to start.
3) I get hesitant at handing over cash to buy music i dont really know about.

Some reccomendations would help solve the problem. Listening is always a good source of learning, and finding a new artist with a different slyle can unleash a flood of ideas.
This is a great idea. I personally would like a Jazz/Fusion guy, aside from Poland, who would appeal to a metal shredder such as myself? I know that this might be a slim chance, but it would help me start getting into jazz.

On the other hand, I suggest people check out 80s hair metal bands, most of them had great lead guitarists.
LTD FX260 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, E/Drop D]
LTD H500 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, D/Drop C]
LTD H1001 [81/85] [10s, C#/Drop B]
GCB-95 [mod soon]
Boss SD-1 [mod soon]
Fryette Sig:X [soon]
Ampeg V412 [Emi Governor/MOW]
Randall RS412LB [Emi Super V]
DR strings
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Hey Lord,
Maybe check out Al Di Meola if you havent already, not really a metal guy, more Latin/Fusion. Nonetheless though this guy influenced a lot of the instrumental guitar virtuosos that have come and gone over the years. I dont think i could list all the merits of his playing
heres a sample :arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClbE6YEO6e0

i personaly love his stuff, the only problem is that it makes me want to learn latin as well (which i will one day do) but i cant focus on everything at the same time :? :(
to be honest a lot of jazz guys would appeal to shredders, lots of the jazz stuff i've come across is just a technicaly dazzling as something like surfing with the alien, if not moreso
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Bad Benson - George Benson

id like to reccomend this album to any jazz fans out there. It contains lots of dazzling fretwork and composing skill but it is still easy listening and can be enjoyed while sitting in the garden idly drinking a diet coke :D

The recording comes from a time in Bensons life when his frustrations in life were bringing out some of his best work. Bensons interpretation of Take Five is about as close to perfect as you can get IMO, its probably the highlight of the album. The other compositions are equally beautiful though. Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams is a more traditional piece that reminds me of last of the summer wine :lol: My Latin Brother shows of Bensons understated Latin skills. Then theres Full Compas which simply oozes cool 8) Overal a well crafted album, well worth a listen.
McLowery
Madman

Post by McLowery »

Lord, Like Rice said, Al DiMeola (any of his 70's albums, especially Tour De Force Live and his early 80's stuff too. Then there is the album Project Tiramisu which is a totally bad ass fusion album with some great jazz vocals too.) George Benson, also in a league of his own, technically.

Then there is Frank Gambale, Alan Holdsworth, John McGlaughlin, Django Reinhardt, Vai's material with Zappa, and even Satch are all very good players to listen to if you are leaning towards jazz improvisational playing.

I found Steve Morse to be a god amongst men in the alternate picking department, technically he is not at all a jazz player but his country blue grass roots have made him a fusion player none the less.
Oh bring me some CHUNKY PUDDING, and bring it RIGHT NOW!!!
chasmcneal

Post by chasmcneal »

Alex Skolnick does some jazzy stuff, right?

and of course, Guthrie Govan.

btw, here are some linkies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkMUncOuDHc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsCKpRzfMzU

first is skolnick, second is govan. man, i love me some guthrie. :D

EDIT

has anyone had a chance to get paul gilberts new album? i found a japanese cd site in english (well there is a link to one on paul gilberts website) i could buy it from, but i'm really hesitant to give it my credit (really its a debit card) info.
LordThurisaz
Cool Member

Post by LordThurisaz »

chasmcneal wrote:Alex Skolnick does some jazzy stuff, right?

and of course, Guthrie Govan.

btw, here are some linkies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkMUncOuDHc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsCKpRzfMzU

first is skolnick, second is govan. man, i love me some guthrie. :D

EDIT

has anyone had a chance to get paul gilberts new album? i found a japanese cd site in english (well there is a link to one on paul gilberts website) i could buy it from, but i'm really hesitant to give it my credit (really its a debit card) info.
There are other places you could attain that album from. As far as if I could tell you where, I'm not entirely sure, but they are kinda obvious places.
GCB-95 [mod soon]
Boss SD-1 [mod soon]
DR strings
chasmcneal

Post by chasmcneal »

LordThurisaz wrote:
There are other places you could attain that album from. As far as if I could tell you where, I'm not entirely sure, but they are kinda obvious places.

i dont want to pirate it, and its a japan release only at the moment (no amazon) and i dont really trust ebay for media (im not paying 25+shipping for a burned copy). honestly though i would like the artists responsible for albums to receive due compensation so they can make more killer albums. :)
LordThurisaz
Cool Member

Post by LordThurisaz »

chasmcneal wrote:
LordThurisaz wrote:There are other places you could attain that album from. As far as if I could tell you where, I'm not entirely sure, but they are kinda obvious places.
i dont want to pirate it, and its a japan release only at the moment (no amazon) and i dont really trust ebay for media (im not paying 25+shipping for a burned copy). honestly though i would like the artists responsible for albums to receive due compensation so they can make more killer albums. :)
You could try cdnow. They have just about everything, even some imports. Besides, a bunch of 'professional' releases nowadays are just glorified CD-R's anyways.
GCB-95 [mod soon]
Boss SD-1 [mod soon]
DR strings
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

I am a fan of an indie artist called Roy Marchbank.

I have his album (his only release) he is a virtuoso for sure but still very musical and VERY unique.

Here is his site

http://www.myspace.com/royemusic

He shreds clean and does some amazing stuff!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
LordThurisaz
Cool Member

Post by LordThurisaz »

Matthew wrote:I am a fan of an indie artist called Roy Marchbank.

I have his album (his only release) he is a virtuoso for sure but still very musical and VERY unique.

Here is his site

Matt
I dunno man, he's no Marty Friedman. :lol:
GCB-95 [mod soon]
Boss SD-1 [mod soon]
DR strings
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

LordThurisaz wrote:

Here is his site

Matt
No he isn't, he follows melody first and foremost- over mindless shred techniques.

Did you hear The Bach piece? :wink:

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
LordThurisaz
Cool Member

Post by LordThurisaz »

Matthew wrote:
LordThurisaz wrote:

Here is his site

Matt
No he isn't, he follows melody first and foremost- over mindless shred techniques.

Did you hear The Bach piece? :wink:

Matt
It was only meant as a joke, but I wouldn't say Marty's technique is "mindless shred". >.>
GCB-95 [mod soon]
Boss SD-1 [mod soon]
DR strings
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Hi Lord

Don't worry nor do I in all honestly think of Marty as that.

Without and indication it was a joke from you, I mirrored an absurd statement with an equally absurd one.

Peace
Matt
McLowery
Madman

Post by McLowery »

The few posts just above this one made me want to express a personal perspective on how my view of guitar playing and how it is relative to a very wide spectrum of musical genres.

I went to a film that was created and produced by one of my friends here in Portland. It basically is a documentary of the big melting pot Portland Oregon is when it comes to music and it covers the span of just one year. Well most of the musicians he featured on film (with his selected performances of each respectively) were at this premier also. Now as a guitarist I tend to stick with what I know and who I like but I have to tell people that I was simply amazed at a couple of female artists who play Americana Folk, so they'll play their guitar lines while they totally belt out their lyrics and this blows me away! I am pretty sure that I am never going to get into the Americana Folk scene, musically anyways, and that kind of guitar playing isn't calling to me to run out and learn it either, but seeing these two gals do something I couldn't do even if there was a gun to my head, gave me a lot of respect for a complete genre of music that most of the time doesn't even exist in my world. They put their heart and soul into their music and this IS what makes music good not just a great technique. All the great guitarists that you can rap off have a unique dynamic about them, they all connect emotionally to their music through their instrument. There are certain musicians out there whose technique is immaculate but they are just going through the motions mechanically and this, to me, rips the life right out it. Certain studio and session players could boggle your mind with their technique. Music is a job to them though and not a passion so they are good at their job and when they aren't working quite a few of them want nothing to do with music.

If there is a player out there that you and I, or anyone and anyone else, is talking about, admiring them or even mimicking certain aspects of their playing, chances are it isn't going to be mindless shred (especially in the circle of players who hold Randy in very high regards). Keeping an open mind is one of the few things we are in control of that can allow your playing to grow and prosper until the day you die.
Oh bring me some CHUNKY PUDDING, and bring it RIGHT NOW!!!