Tuition DVD's

Tabs, Lessons, Tutorials of all styles. Got a question? Heres where to ask!

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Tuition DVD's

Post by rice_pudding »

As you all know there are stacks of dvd's out there to teach different facets of guitar playing and different styles. I just wondered what you all thought of them. :?:

Personaly i find most of them to be crap, so i dont buy them. I find i can get more out of an article from guitar techniques. However i recently got a Stevie Ray dvd for my birthday and i must say its already prooved usefull even though i've only watched the first 10mins.

I think the main issue for me is the theory side of things. Teaching someone to learn the style of SRV is all well and good but surely such an objective would neccesitate a theoretical approach i.e. what tones SRV uses for tension etc.

Its all well and good showing someone a lick in the style of their favourite guitar players, but how can they go beyond mere imitation unless they understand what they're playing? Luckily i'm able to strip apart what random TV man is doing so i know how to inovate using the ideas he shows off not just imitate, for one thing i at least know what scales/shapes he's using which he neglects to mension. But i doubt anyone without a decent grounding in theory would get far :?

those are my opinions anyway. debate welcome.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I agree that knowing the theory is important. However, while learning the licks it is possible to figure out the theory on your own.

For years I stunted my growth as a player because I wanted to understand the theory behind the playing I liked. So I searched for instructional material to explain it and rarely found what I was looking for. I convinced myself I couldn't play well until I understood "why" things worked.

Now I learn licks and solos, etc, and I map them out on fretboard diagrams. Then I figure out what scales go with the notes and what chords are underlying the solo. This way I can look things up and figure out how everything jibes together.

I'd love to take lessons and have an expert teach me as i go along, but I haven't taken that step as of yet.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I was surprised to learn that Paul Gilbert writes stuff out on fretboard diagrams to understand concepts and drum up new ideas.
Dan
Cool Member

Post by Dan »

Paul Wolfe wrote:I was surprised to learn that Paul Gilbert writes stuff out on fretboard diagrams to understand concepts and drum up new ideas.
Could you expand on the process and show a diagram or two? I am in a rut for the past few days and could use some new insight on something that works.
Baking the cookies of discontent by the heat of the laundromat vent...
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I don't know much about theory either...I know enough to make me sound intelligent when I'm talking to other musicians, but that's pretty much it. :lol:
I can read sheet music very well though. A hobby of mine is to get sheet music for violin or orchestra and break it down on guitar.
But don't ask me like "Hey, play some stuff in the Locrian!" :lol: I'll just give you a weird look.
I'm actually planning to post some of my tabs of Vivaldi's Four Season and Mozart's Requiem when I get the chance. :)
LordThurisaz
Cool Member

Post by LordThurisaz »

I would say that Paul Gilbert's Intense Rock DVD helped my playing tons. I also like *so and so's* Metal Tech video, but I'll refrain from mentioning his name - his ideas and patterns are 'out of the box' and creative, although a bit too much. I'd also suggest any books or videos by Marty Friedman.
NicDots wrote:I don't know much about theory either...I know enough to make me sound intelligent when I'm talking to other musicians, but that's pretty much it. :lol:
I can read sheet music very well though. A hobby of mine is to get sheet music for violin or orchestra and break it down on guitar.
But don't ask me like "Hey, play some stuff in the Locrian!" :lol: I'll just give you a weird look.
I'm actually planning to post some of my tabs of Vivaldi's Four Season and Mozart's Requiem when I get the chance. :)
As for you NicDots, I suggest you PM about this lack of theory knowledge, comprende, amigo? :lol: scale memorization is easy.
LTD FX260 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, E/Drop D]
LTD H500 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, D/Drop C]
LTD H1001 [81/85] [10s, C#/Drop B]
GCB-95 [mod soon]
Boss SD-1 [mod soon]
Fryette Sig:X [soon]
Ampeg V412 [Emi Governor/MOW]
Randall RS412LB [Emi Super V]
DR strings
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Dan wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:I was surprised to learn that Paul Gilbert writes stuff out on fretboard diagrams to understand concepts and drum up new ideas.
Could you expand on the process and show a diagram or two? I am in a rut for the past few days and could use some new insight on something that works.
As it happens, I was working on a progression in D... give me a day and I'll post some stuff for ya Dan.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

LordThurisaz wrote:I would say that Paul Gilbert's Intense Rock DVD helped my playing tons. I also like *so and so's* Metal Tech video, but I'll refrain from mentioning his name - his ideas and patterns are 'out of the box' and creative, although a bit too much. I'd also suggest any books or videos by Marty Friedman.
NicDots wrote:I don't know much about theory either...I know enough to make me sound intelligent when I'm talking to other musicians, but that's pretty much it. :lol:
As for you NicDots, I suggest you PM about this lack of theory knowledge, comprende, amigo? :lol: scale memorization is easy.
Well I can play the basic scales in first position and then do pentatonics up and down the neck no problem...but everything else is kinda... :lol:
LordThurisaz
Cool Member

Post by LordThurisaz »

NicDots wrote:
LordThurisaz wrote:I would say that Paul Gilbert's Intense Rock DVD helped my playing tons. I also like *so and so's* Metal Tech video, but I'll refrain from mentioning his name - his ideas and patterns are 'out of the box' and creative, although a bit too much. I'd also suggest any books or videos by Marty Friedman.
Well I can play the basic scales in first position and then do pentatonics up and down the neck no problem...but everything else is kinda... :lol:
Again, as stated... PM me, I will explain how to take the scales and move them around the fretboard. It's really a LOT simpler than you think. This will open up position shifting much more to you, and also allow you to mode starting from any relative major key rather than the typical C.
LTD FX260 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, E/Drop D]
LTD H500 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, D/Drop C]
LTD H1001 [81/85] [10s, C#/Drop B]
GCB-95 [mod soon]
Boss SD-1 [mod soon]
Fryette Sig:X [soon]
Ampeg V412 [Emi Governor/MOW]
Randall RS412LB [Emi Super V]
DR strings
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Ok, will do! Check your PMs in about 30 seconds...