Classical Guitar Books

Tabs, Lessons, Tutorials of all styles. Got a question? Heres where to ask!

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Stewie
Mass Poster

Classical Guitar Books

Post by Stewie »

I now play studies out of:
Leo Brouwer: Etudes Simples (6°- 10°)
Mattea Carcassi: 25 Melodious and Progressive Studies

And I ordered a book of Yvon Rivoal yesterday

What about you guys :)?
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Hi Stewie

Great stuff!!

The Brouwer pieces are my favourite. Coincidentally I am going to pot a tab and an audio of me playing Brouwer's Etrudes simples no 6 later.

Stewie are you enjoying the Carcassi pieces?

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

Yes they are fun to play, but I played my last one more than 6 months ago.. :)

I like Brauer no 10 8)
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

im currently using:
100 Graded Classical Guitar Studies; selected and graded by Frederick Noad

The pieces included are all studies by Sor, Giuliani and Carcassi and are laid out in sets of 10 ranging from really easy to hard. Although the grading is not based on the 1-8 system.

Most of the pieces are pretty simple, but they tend to highlight a couple of key skills so that you on improve a specific technique and of course more expierience in reading music is always a good thing.

ii haven't learnt many pieces from this book yet, but im working harder on my classical playing now so i hope to get through a lot of the book this year (maybe all of it :?: )

Im currently polishing off F.Sor Op.60 No.21 which comes up as the 60th study in the book. Like a lot of the pieces it can be learnt quickly but takes real effort to play perfectly.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

rice_pudding wrote:
Like a lot of the pieces it can be learnt quickly but takes real effort to play perfectly.
That is so true Rob!

My professor at university said once the it takes 50 percent effort to get a piece to sound 90 percent (most people considred the task finished at this stage) He said it took all that same effort again to get the last 10 percent.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

The Carcassi books are great! 8)
In addtion to those books, I also like to get a lot of violin sheet music of Amazon.com to help with my sight reading. Not to mention, when transfered to electric guitar, violin music sounds pretty badass. 8)
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

NicDots wrote:The Carcassi books are great! 8)
In addtion to those books, I also like to get a lot of violin sheet music of Amazon.com to help with my sight reading.
I already had 4 years, 2,5 hours a week sight reading. After those 4 years I had to learn about Mozart and others for another 3 years. Now the 8th year of my music education I only have to play classical guitar 2 hours a week :D
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

my sight reading is not so good... while technicaly i would be good enough to pass an exam/grade i would probably fail on sight reading. :?

it takes me a couple of times to look over a peace before i get the jist of it. Unless its got lots of arpeggios and chords in which case i find it easier to find my way around.

i dont really read the music though to be honest so its no surprise im not so good at this, i only use the music when im learning .i pretty much comit the piece to memory as im learning and then idly gaze at the sheet to jog my memory, kinda like looking at the first word of every sentence, if that makes sense.

i could probably only sight read my way through a grade 2/3 piece.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Matthew wrote: That is so true Rob!

My professor at university said once the it takes 50 percent effort to get a piece to sound 90 percent (most people considred the task finished at this stage) He said it took all that same effort again to get the last 10 percent.

Matt
there are lots of pieces i've learnt in my short time playing guitar that i still cant play perfect. (Going off the classical track here but...) randys stuff is a good example, i learnt a lot of his stuff soon after picking up the instrument and could play it pretty good. I still play his stuff everyday since i enjoy it so much... hence ive got better at it. :)

While i could play Crazy train and i dont know after 8 months of playing its only in the last year or so that i play them and think to myself damn that sounded good :D
Gabriel Raphael
Cool Member

Post by Gabriel Raphael »

Peace guys

Of course you heard of Leo Brouwer Etude No 6, diary of a madman was created after it.

Does anyone here know how to play it and recorded a video at all, i se youtube is loaded with many

Peace again
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Hi Gabriel

I am recording several of the etudes (including that one) and they will be up very very shortly.

Matt
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

Matthew wrote:Hi Gabriel

I am recording several of the etudes (including that one) and they will be up very very shortly.

Matt
If you put n 10 up, I'll try to record it too :D