Absolut Pitch Power

Tabs, Lessons, Tutorials of all styles. Got a question? Heres where to ask!

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Absolut Pitch Power

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Anyone ever tried this course? I was cataloging all the guitar lesson materials I've got and I came across a .rar file of this course. The problem is that I have the .mp3 files but I don't know what order they go in.

I doubt that the course can live up to it's promise of teaching absolute pitch through self-hypnosis, but I'd like to know the running order of the tracks so I can check it out to satisfy my curiosity.

Oh, and if anyone has tried this course and has the workbooks, I'd be interested in knowing what they are like.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

i remember people on the stetina forums discussing something similar a long while back, i think someone actualy bought it to satisfy there curriosity. I think they said it was good but nowhere near as good as it was hyped to be. IMO learning perfect pitch takes practice, dedication and time. there are books that can help, but nothing that can simply teach it.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

I think it is highly likely the course is training you to have a very very good 'relative pitch'.

I have relative pitch and I can often trick people into believing it is perfect. I can write music from my head without an instrument, I can sing a c sharp off the top of my head...but (he he) only because I have do a quick comparison calculation in my head. ie I use some memorised notes as reference points and within a couple of seconds can produce the note.

Alex on the forum has perfect pitch.

Perfect pitch is more than just being able to name notes that are played with a blind fold; but to be able to identify even if a note was slightly sharp (imagine only being 1/50th of a tone sharp for example)

It can be a curse for people as where as with relative pitch you can just adjust things accordingly and tune to yourselves with a spot on perfect pitch you would find this intollerable!!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I would expect that relative pitch is something that can be learned with practice. I also believe in the power of meditative suggestion (which I never believed in before undergoing through physical therapy).

That's why I'd like to learn the order of the tracks in an attempt to make it more effective.

Personally, I feel I'd rather have relative pitch over perfect pitch. Seems that would make it easier to learn songs "by ear" and transpose them, which is ultimately my goal. When I am able to hear a song and play a pretty close approximation of it, I'll be happy.

Any other suggestions as to how to get to that point, Matt?
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Paul Wolfe wrote:I would expect that relative pitch is something that can be learned with practice. I also believe in the power of meditative suggestion (which I never believed in before undergoing through physical therapy).

That's why I'd like to learn the order of the tracks in an attempt to make it more effective.

Personally, I feel I'd rather have relative pitch over perfect pitch. Seems that would make it easier to learn songs "by ear" and transpose them, which is ultimately my goal. When I am able to hear a song and play a pretty close approximation of it, I'll be happy.

Any other suggestions as to how to get to that point, Matt?
Maybe I am being negative about courses like this. I would love a pm about the meditation stuff Paul.

When I teach ear training to guitar pupils. The first thing is I search for a song that is special to them that starts with a note we can use as a central note.

For example I Don't Know by Ozzy I can straight away hear that first A Chord in my head. So that would be your 'A' sorted for this if this was yor chosen song :)

Then using that as your main note practice testing your self. For example can you sing the 4th note of the scale of A Major, the 6 th notes etc etc.

This is so important because once you have practiced enough you can start to work things out faster and faster. The same applies to testing intervals of a minor scale.

Also like you say in your head you can practice anywhere, anytime all day.

If I ever have a spare moment and get amusic idea I start to work out the notation for it by my relative method.

Also joining a choir and sight singing is a great way to practice sight singing..absolutely invaluable!!

8)
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

i use reference points as well to help me work stuff out when im stuck, i memorised all the intervals themselves as well as ascending and decending scales in relation to the tonic, that helped a lot.

I find these days that stuff starts to become more natural and i spend a lot less time figuring stuff out sometimes i get things in one just by "feeling" where the notes are on the fretboard so to speak :? overal im pretty convinced that just playing and listening will help just as much as dedicated practice, but thats just my own perception of my progress?!
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

rice_pudding wrote:overall im pretty convinced that just playing and listening will help just as much as dedicated practice, but thats just my own perception of my progress?!
I think you are absolutely right!

I studied with a girl at University who had perfect pitch.She was a 'good musician' but not exceptional by any means.

My Lecturer said the most recent findngs said there was a cut off age that if you hadn't began to study music by (I am vague to the exact age) around 5/6 then it was highly unlikely you would attain perfect pitch.

That would certainly explain the vast majority of guitarists that don't have perfect pitch compared to say Pianists who very often begin at primary school.

I don't know about everyone here but I got a guitar at 13 began guitar and Piano lessons at 14. Most of my pupils seem to begin often qound 12/13 for electric and usually a little younge for classical...maybe 9/10.

Matt
Stevie

Post by Stevie »

Matthew wrote:My Lecturer said the most recent findngs said there was a cut off age that if you hadn't began to study music by (I am vague to the exact age) around 5/6 then it was highly unlikely you would attain perfect pitch.
Thats me buggered then Matt :( Man, thats tough!!

Didn't even get to lay hands on a gat up until 16/17, (not including battered old school acoustics!!). Needless to say I made up for the delay and caught the bug pretty soon after :)
"Five years ahead? I would love to have people know me as a guitar hero. Someday maybe put out a solo album where I can dig into a lot of instrumentals." ~~ RR ~~
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Stevie wrote:
Matthew wrote:My Lecturer said the most recent findngs said there was a cut off age that if you hadn't began to study music by (I am vague to the exact age) around 5/6 then it was highly unlikely you would attain perfect pitch.
Thats me buggered then Matt :( Man, thats tough!!

Didn't even get to lay hands on a gat up until 16/17, (not including battered old school acoustics!!). Needless to say I made up for the delay and caught the bug pretty soon after :)
I laughed and thought the same LOL.

Of my music heroes some had 2 fingers, some were academic flops, some were academics, some were Christians, Pagans, alcoholics, tee totalers, child prodigies and others late learners.

What Matt is trying to say is there are many ways to skin a cat!

Matt :D
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

i only began at 15, so no perfect pitch for me either :cry:

i wish id started at a younger age i got a guitar when i was 8 but never used it...

oh well, i may yet prove the experts wrong, who knows 20 years from now...
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I've got a 6-year-old who is interested in playing, but guitar is difficult and he has struggled with trying to pick it up. I think that unless a child is obsessed with the notion of playing an instrument, eight or nine is a good age to start. It takes a bit of maturity to be able to focus on practicing.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Complete Guitar By Ear is another program for learning relative pitch. I bought this a year ago and must admit I simply haven't been diligent about using it.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

troy stetina has a new book, Fretboard mastery, its pretty good. I havent used it much but it has defineatly helped. a cheaper option that the more expensive miracle programs.