I like the new section

Tabs, Lessons, Tutorials of all styles. Got a question? Heres where to ask!

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

cableguyxx
Mass Poster

I like the new section

Post by cableguyxx »

I like the new section 8)

OK, so I've had guitars since I was in High School (too far back to remember), but never learned anything with an instructor. I think that the real-time, one on one interaction cannot be replaced by books, DVD's etc, so I will be saving up for some lessons, since money is always tight. I've tried playing along to some blues backing tracks, but find I repeat myself often.

Where is a good place to start? Exercises?

I'm really interested in playing other styles of electric guitar, besides Randy's, which is basically all I've ever tried to play. I especially would like to learn some Country type stuff or southern rock, and also some rhythm for classic rock songs. It would be great if I were ever out, and decided to pickup and be able to play along to something besides Crazy Train :oops: :lol:
Last edited by cableguyxx on Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordThurisaz
Cool Member

Re: Where to start?

Post by LordThurisaz »

cableguyxx wrote:I like the new section 8)

OK, so I've had guitars since I was in High School (too far back to remember), but never learned anything with an instructor. I think that the real-time, one on one interaction cannot be replaced by books, DVD's etc, so I will be saving up for some lessons, since money is always tight. I've tried playing along to some blues backing tracks, but find I repeat myself often.

Where is a good place to start? Exercises?

I'm really interested in playing other styles of electric guitar, besides Randy's, which is basically all I've ever tried to play. I especially would like to learn some Country type stuff or southern rock, and also some rhythm for classic rock songs. It would be great if I were ever out, and decided to pickup and be able to play along to something besides Crazy Train :oops: :lol:
Well, I will say the best bet is to get some videos. For some jazz/country stuff used in a shred manner, Vinnie Vincent's Metal Tech is a fun to watch video. As is Paul Gilberts dvds (any of them), particularly the Intense Rock dvd. I also suggest some new CDs.
LTD FX260 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, E/Drop D]
LTD H500 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, D/Drop C]
LTD H1001 [81/85] [10s, C#/Drop B]
GCB-95 [mod soon]
Boss SD-1 [mod soon]
Fryette Sig:X [soon]
Ampeg V412 [Emi Governor/MOW]
Randall RS412LB [Emi Super V]
DR strings
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

If you think you might begin lessons in the near future, I'd recommend working on scale practice. That would include playing them as well as understanding their structure (intervals, notes, etc).

If lessons are still a ways off, pick a style and work through a video of that style.

Doug Seven's 4th DVD is excellent for getting started in modern country guitar.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Hi Darin

I would reccomend subscribing to Guitar techniques. There are hardly any adverts...just section after section on different techniques.

It is much more detailed, user friendly and open minded musically than things like Total Guitar and Total Guitar and covers every music style.

http://www.guitar-techniques.com/

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

Any idea how the other 3 are?
Last edited by cableguyxx on Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Matthew wrote:Hi Darin

I would reccomend subscribing to Guitar techniques. There are hardly any adverts...just section after section on different techniques.

It is much more detailed, user friendly and open minded musically than things like Total Guitar and Total Guitar and covers every music style.

http://www.guitar-techniques.com/

Matt
+1

that magazine is great, you can pretty much guarentee that you'll learn something useful each month. I spent christmas learning stuff from the latest issue and a couple of old ones. I genuinley feel that i've improved a lot, and im always happiest when im learning :D
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

cableguyxx wrote:Any idea how the other 3 are?
Yeah, I got all four as downloads. The first one didn't work when I tried to burn it to DVD, however (it came in MP4 format).

They are all really good. He started out with more advanced stuff and backtracked due to popular demand. When it comes to current county playing, these are the best instructional videos I've found. Most of the others start you out with style from the '70's or earlier which is a far cry from Brad Paisley's playing. :D
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

I'm about to pay for a subscription of Guitar Techniques.. Unless somebody tells me a better magazine :)!
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Stewie wrote:I'm about to pay for a subscription of Guitar Techniques.. Unless somebody tells me a better magazine :)!
if your looking for a magazine to help you improve your playing then there is no better magazine. If your a gearhead though "guitarist" may be worth a look.
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

I love watching gear that I can't afford.. But I'm not going to do that every month 8)

Guitar Techniques here I come!