What are Grade exams?

Tabs, Lessons, Tutorials of all styles. Got a question? Heres where to ask!

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

What are Grade exams?

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

On nearly all instruments in the UK there are 8 levels of attainment before degree level. They are Grades 1-8.

I understand from my mate Logan who is from the US that it doesn't exist in the states?!

Anyway Here is a link to Trinity Guildhall. They offer exams all over the world and they are useful to measure your progress.

http://www.trinitycollege.co.uk/

Barry Masons Spanish Guitar centre is in London and stocks all the grade books.

www.spanishguitarcentre.com

Typically Grade 1 is taken after 18-24 months of learning and then a year a grade until Grade 7 and 8 which often need a little longer.

Dee would be about a grade 4 piece of music.

Grade 1-pieces usually no more than a page in length and in first position (frets 1-4)
Grade 2- The same as above but sharps and flats introduced
Grade 3-Some upper frest are used and harmonic introduced
Grade 4-Pieces length increased by up to 2 pages and candidates are required to show they have a beginning understanding of the period and stylistic features respectively.
Grade 5-By now there are no holds barred in what area of the guitar is used. Trills, hammers and pull offs as well as pieces with barre's are now in use
Grade 6-What is exciting about from now on is often you see the pieces you are learning on cds. In other words the pieces are really much nmore substancial. They are demanding in dexterity.
Grades 7 and 8. These to grades differ very little in my opinion. The pieces often are several pages long and you are expected not just to be able to play the pieces but to actually start forming your own sound.
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

matt im curious, you say a grade a year... why is that?

is it simply the speed at which most students progress or is it because lingering on a certain grade would let you learn lots of pieces demonstrating the skills needed for that grade?

it just seems maybe a little slow to me :?
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Hi Rice

It ois only an average I use so people get a rough gist of the time. I would say most of my pupils on the lower grades are a bout a grade a year although occassionally someone comes along who puts the hours in and does it in double or tripple time.

I hope that helps

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

thanks i just wondered if there was any specific reason, like only being allowed to take one exam a year etc.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

rice_pudding wrote:thanks i just wondered if there was any specific reason, like only being allowed to take one exam a year etc.
The singing teacher at my school just had lessons as a girl and went straight in and did grade 8. I often after a pupil has passed a grade just do ome other pieces and then if they are a bit better than the supposed next grade I jump ahead.

Rice what is your real name. I keep giggling writing Rice Pudding LOL

Matt
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

so you're laughing like a madman at your keyboard;

"ha ha ha rice pudding..."

now im laughing at the thought of that :lol:

i think i mentioned my name previously round here.. but maybe not. Anyhow my real names Rob, feel free to use it at your leisure if you cant stop laughing about rice pudding :D

for the record: the name rice pudding comes from an early jeff beck instrumental, not an unhealthy adiction to the pudding itself, as i mentioned previously im more partial to carrot cake :wink:
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

ahhh yes! beck-ola. one of my faves.
Last edited by frank on Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

rice_pudding wrote:so you're laughing like a madman at your keyboard;

"ha ha ha rice pudding..."

now im laughing at the thought of that :lol:

i think i mentioned my name previously round here.. but maybe not. Anyhow my real names Rob, feel free to use it at your leisure if you cant stop laughing about rice pudding :D

for the record: the name rice pudding comes from an early jeff beck instrumental, not an unhealthy adiction to the pudding itself, as i mentioned previously im more partial to carrot cake :wink:
It makes me laugh because my child hood revolved around a very limited amount of food because of my awkwardness but I loved it when my mum made rice pudding LOL

Matt
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

frank wrote:ahhh yes! beck-ola. one of my faves.
one of my favourites too 8) but all becks albums are one of my favourites :wink:
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Matthew wrote: It makes me laugh because my child hood revolved around a very limited amount of food because of my awkwardness but I loved it when my mum made rice pudding LOL

Matt
the canteen at my uni makes rice pudding occasionaly but its good, if you're ever in town i'll buy you some :wink: :D

anyhow just call me rob from now on
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

i haven't had rice pudding in years. my mom used to make it for me growing up. there's a mexican drink called horchata which is like liquid rice pudding if you can imagine that. it's better than it sounds.
Last edited by frank on Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

frank wrote:i haven't had rice pudding in years. my mom used to make it for me growing up. there's a mexican drink called horchata which is like liquid rice pudding if you can imagine that. it's better than it sounds.
unfortunatly i can't imagine that, but maybe one day i'll get to try it :)
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

Liquid rice pudding
frank wrote:it's better than it sounds.
I hope so :shock: 8)

I want to test it :)