Article - Randy Rhoads remembered

the Randy Rhoads archive created by Randy Perry

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Randy Perry

Article - Randy Rhoads remembered

Post by Randy Perry »

Randy Rhoads remembered
Guitar great is saluted on second anniversary of his death.
Source: Hit Parader - 1984

In the two years since his death, the legacy of Randy Rhoads has grown to legendary proportions. Despite an all-too-brief stay in the limelight, this thin, blond California native managed to establish himself as one of the most influential and talented guitarists in rock history. Here now are comments from many of rock's top axe stingers concerning the impact that Randy Rhoads had on their style and their life.

Edward VanHalen (Van Halen)
I have an immense amount of respect for what he did. Some people say I m a y have had an infIuence on his playing, but I never was able to ask him that. If it's true, I'm very honored, because I thought he was very, very good. He was also very dedicated to his playing. I think that showed in his work.

Brad Gillis (Night Ranger)
It was every guitarist's dream to replace Randy Rhoads, and I'll never forget the thrill of having that opportunity. I always considered Randy to be the best guitarist around. I followed his career for a long time even when he was playing around L.A. with Quiet Riot, and I was always amazed by what he could do. I used to get really annoyed after watching him, because he was doing things that I hadn't even thought of trying. He was in a class by himself.

Carlos Cavazo (Quiet Riot)
Of course I had known Randy a long time. I was playing in some other L.A. area bands when he was playing the club scene with Quiet Riot. He was a big influence on everyone who saw him. ,He had so much talent and so much charisma - it was just unbelievable! He was one of the few guitarist I’ve ever seen who could literally mesmerize you on-stage. You'd find yourself watching him and just forgetting about everyone and everything else.

Angus Young (AC/DC)
I've heard him play on the radio and he sounded very good. I admire anyone who can play the guitar with a style that is easily identifiable, and that's what he was able to do. Everybody says there's nothing new that can be done with a guitar, but when people like Randy come along, they realize they're wrong.

"Fast" Eddie Clarke (Fastway)
I was lucky enough to see Randy perform many times while I was in Motorhead. We toured the country with Ozzy when Randy was still alive, and I used to go out and watch him quite often. It's a shame that his talent wasn't fully appreciated until after his death. But that's the way it is in rock and roll, sometimes. He was very special - he had "star quality" written all over him. If you're able to go on stage with someone like Ozzy and hold your own, you know you’re special.

Adrian Smith (Iron Maiden)
To me, Randy Rhoads had a classic "American" guitar sound. There's a difference between the way a British guitarist plays and the way an American plays. They're both equally good, it's just that people like Blackmore and Page have had the biggest impact on English guitarists while perhaps Eddie Van Halen has had the biggest impact on the guys in the States. Randy Rhoads seemed to pick up on some of Van Halen's ideas and expand them. He was absolutely terrific, and his work with Osbourne is astounding at times.

Neal Schon (Journey)
He was very interesting. I make it a habit to watch other guitarists and listen to their work. I'm not that big on Ozzy’s music, so I don't often put his albums on at home, but I recognize Rhoads as a very talented guitarist.

Paul Stanley (Kiss)
I've seen just about everybody who's come down the pike over the last ten years, and quite honestly, most of 'em weren't worth remembering. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see Rhoads that many times, but he was a very impressive guitarist. He obviously had studied the instrument, and he had a natural feel that separated him from most other players. To me, that's the key - if you have a feel, a quality that nobody can teach you, that's when you're special.

Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath)
Obviously, I've always had a bit of interest in the guitarists Ozzy has worked with. After having worked with somebody for so long, you can't dismiss their musical activities very easily. Ozzy once told me that one Of the things which first attracted him to Randy was that he was the exact opposite of me. He looked different, and his style was very unique. I favor certain chord structures, while Randy had his own way of expressing himself. I admire what he did, though I wish Ozzy had given him a little more freedom to express himself on his albums.

Rik Emmet (Triumph)
I'm a big guitar fan. I love listening to everything from jazz to heavy metal, and one of the guys who really caught my ear was Randy. he just stood out head and shoulders above other young guitarists. I don't know exactly what he did that was so special, but he was able to mix together a number of styles and influences, and emerge with a special sound. Most guitarists are clones of other famous musicians. Randy had a bit of that element in him, but because of his talent, he was able to rise above that.

K. K. Downing (Judas Priest)
I listened to his playing on Osbourne's albums. He had the potential to become one of the best guitarists ever. Considering he was so young, it's amazing to consider what he accomplished.

Phil Collin (Def Leppard)
When I was getting into the guitar, there were people like Ritchie Blackmore who were so good that when you saw them on-stage they inspired you to go out and buy a guitar. That's what I imagine Randy Rhoads was like for a lot of younger kids. He had such presence on-stage, and he was so talented, that when you saw him you naturally had to be totally impressed by his talent.

Billy Squire
I know I have many limitations as a guitarist. That's why I admire somebody like Rhoads so much. He was the type of player that a guitarist like me would like to be. I keep dreaming someday ... someday ...