Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Randy Perry

Article - Final interview/Guitar Greats

Post by Randy Perry »

1. Randy Rhoads: The final interview, Source: Hit Parader - date unknown
2. Guitar Greats: Randy Rhoads, Source: Hit Parader - date unknown

Randy Rhoads: The final interview
Source: Hit Parader

In the 18 months since his death, Randy Rhoads has become a rock and roll legend. His burning, intense solos and powerhouse riffs have made him one of the most influential axe-slingers of the 1980s. This interview, done in Florida only days before his fatal plans crash, is believed to be the last interview Randy ever gave. In retrospect, it gives greater insight into the man that Ozzy Osbourne has called "the greatest guitarist I've ever heard."

Hit Parader:
How did you first hook up with Ozzy?

Randy Rhoads:
I was in L.A. and had been working in a band called Quiet Riot. I had heard through the music grapevine that Ozzy was in town and was looking for a guitarist. Quite honestly, I wasn't that interested; but a friend of mine told me that I should go down to Ozzy's hotel and play for him anyhow. I wandered into Ozzy's room at about two o'clock in the morning. Ozzy was exhausted he'd been listening to guys play all day long. He just said, "Go ahead, play something," and he stretched out on a couch. When I started, he perked up. I could tell he liked what I was doing.

HP: What did he say to you at that time?

RR: Basically, he said that all he'd heard all day were guys trying to play like Tony lommi. He appreciated that I was playing my own style and not trying to copy someone else. I really didn't know if I had the job or not at that time, but Ozzy seemed quite pleased.

HP: You have a very distinctive style. How long have you been playing guitar?

RR: I started playing when I was just a kid. I got a very inexpensive acoustic guitar when I was seven and I studied on and off for the next five years. Most of the lessons I took were either in classical or folk guitar. I really wasn't into that at the time. I've come to appreciate classical guitar more now - in fact, I've started to take classical guitar lessons again - but back then I just wanted to rock.

HP: Who were you listening to in those days? Who influenced you?

RR: I loved Mountain - I thought Leslie West was one of the greatest guitar players I’ve ever heard. Some of the things he played were really exceptional. My testes kept changing when I was a kid. I listened to a lot of Ritchie Blackmore with Deep Purple and some Jeff Beck, but I loved a lot of different people.

HP: You said that you’ve begun taking classical lessons again. When do you have the time?

RR: When we're on the road I try to take a few hours each day and practice. I’ve also started looking up classical guitar teachers in various cities, and I take lessons whenever I can afford the time. it's difficult to take lessons while you're on the road, but you do have a lot of time to practice.

HP: Does that mean you went to give up playing rock and roll?

RR: No, not at all. I still love playing rock and roll, but I want to become the best guitarist I can. I see no reason to be satisfied with just playing one type of music. It you love the guitar, you to learn as many different styles as possible. Who knows, years from now I may end up playing classical guitar for a living.

HP: Earlier you mentioned a bond called Quiet Riot that you were playing in at the time you met Ozzy. Did they ever record an album?

RR: Yes. In fact they recorded two albums, the problem is that they were only released overseas. The second one was released in Japan last year (1980). they’re pretty good records, They’re real rock and roll albums. There are some good songs and the playing is pretty hot. I’d like to see those albums get released ever here because, after all, we were an American band.

(Ed. Note: Quiet Riot has also released one post-Randy Rhoads album, Metal Health.)

HP: When you were first getting into music was your family supportive?

RR: Yes, My whole family is very musical, and when I was young there were always different instruments lying around the house. In fact, my first guitar, a very old Gibson, was something I found in the house.

HP: How has the touring affected you? It must be fun being a rock and roll star.

RR: Well, it is in a way, but Ozzy keeps reminding me to keep everything perspective. His experiences have helped me. I’m a pretty conservative guy, so I have no desire to indulge in the rack and roll lifestyle. I’m into the music more than anything else.

HP: But it must be tun to be recognized on the street.

RR: Yeah, at this point it’s still fun. Actually, it doesn't happen that often. Most of the time it's right after a show where some fans are hanging around the hotel. The first few times people come up and ask you for an autograph, ifs a lot of fun; but if you're eating dinner or having a conversation with someone it can get a little annoying. I know that they’re reacting because they like you, and I love them for that, but I'm a very private person, and sometimes it becomes hard to deal with.

HP: How do you feel when someone calls you a rock and roll star?

RR: A little strange. I've always viewed myself as a musician. I never thought of myself as a star. Ozzy’s a star - I'm just a part of the band.

HP: Do you find it annoying that your talents aren't recognized as much as they should be because you’re playing "heavy metal."

RR: No. I enjoy the music we're playing; that’s the most important thing to me. As long as I’m satisfied with my playing, I'm not too concerned with what critics think. Our type of music will never be a critical favorite, but when I can stand on stage and see a lot of smiling faces in the crowd, it makes it all worthwhile.

HP: What do you prefer more, playing on stage or making albums?

RR: They’re both interesting. In the studio you have to be more exacting. There's more of a creative process going on. When you're playing live you're able to let loose and have a bit more fun. I enjoy them both.

HP: How is Ozzy to work with?

RR: He's a jewel. He gets a lot of heat for the stunts he pulls, but he's a kind and sensitive human being. He's always giving me advice and pep talks. He's so full of energy - it's contagious. He just makes you to play rock and roll for the rest of your life.

Guitar Greats: Randy Rhoads
Source: Hit Parader - date unknown

It’s now been over a year since the tragic plane crash that robbed the rock world of one of its greatest talents - Randy Rhoads. We take this opportunity to present a Guitar Great profile done with Randy only days before that fatal trip.

When did you start playing guitar?

Randy: When I was seven years old.

Why did you start?

Randy: Basically, my whole family is musical and so I was surrounded by music all the time when I was growing up. There were always a lot of instruments around the house, and I just happened to pick up the guitar.

First type of guitar:

Randy: My very first guitar was a cheap classical acoustic, but I also had an old, Gibson called an Army-Navy special. It was from World War 1 or something.

Musical training:

Randy: I studied on and off. When I was young I took lessons in folk and classical, but I stopped when I was about 12 because I wanted to play rock. I went back and started studying again recently, especially classical. If we have an off day on tour, I’ll try to find a place where I can study classical guitar.

Early influences:

Randy: The biggest in rock would be Leslie West. Other than that I suppose Jeff Beck and Ritchie Blackmore. Because I started so young I kept changing... now I listen to all kinds of guitarists.

First public appearance:

Randy: There used to be this park in Burbank, California, where all the bands would play. One night I got up and jammed and that was my first experience in front of a lot of people.

First appearance on record:

Randy: I did the first Quiet Riot LP when I was 17.

Recording Bands:

Randy: Quiet Riot and the Blizzard of Ozz.

Other vinyl appearances:

Randy: None as of yet - I’d like to get into doing sessions though.

Equipment (live):

Randy: Three 100-watt Marshalls (two of them are 1959 tops). I also use a pedal board with all the basic effects. The guitars I use on stage are a Les Paul, two Charvels and another custom made one.

Studio equipment:

Randy: Generally the same as live - although I use just one cabinet and one top.

Number of guitars owned:

Randy: I own six.

Most memorable solo on record:

Randy: I’d have to say Mr. Crowley, because I spent hours trying to get a solo on it but couldn’t get anywhere. Then Ozzy came in and said, "It’s crap - everything you’re playing is crap." He told me to get out there and just play how I felt. He made me really nervous so I just played anything. When I came back to listen to it, he said it was great, and I had to agree. That’s my most memorable solo.