George Lynch with Ozzy

The guitarists of the Ozzy Osbourne band who never recorded with him.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

zmack mylde
Cool Member

George Lynch with Ozzy

Post by zmack mylde »

George Lynch lost out twice to be Ozzy's guiatirst first to Randy Rhoads then to Jake E. Lee. I think after Ozzy fired Jake he should have went and hired Lynch. I am curious to see how George Lynch would have done with Ozzy. I think he would have been awesome, and it's one of those things that I will always think about....what if?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I've always considered George to be a "B" level player. He's good, but not "star" quality in my book.

I would have liked to see John Sykes hook up with Ozzy. He was on the short list after Randy died but things didn't work out.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

zmack mylde wrote: George Lynch lost out twice to be Ozzy's guiatirst first to Randy Rhoads then to Jake E. Lee.
as far as I know, George didn't even audition for Ozzy the first time.
think I read something about that matter :shock: :?
Paul Wolfe wrote:I've always considered George to be a "B" level player. He's good, but not "star" quality in my book.
I believe that has something to do with Dokken ? :shock:
RRFAN123456789

Re: George Lynch with Ozzy

Post by RRFAN123456789 »

I know that Rudy's brother Robert was originally hired, but Bernie was guaranteed the job.
RIP
Randy Rhoads
12/6/1956-3/19/1982
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

RRFAN123456789 wrote:I know that Rudy's brother Robert was originally hired, but Bernie was guaranteed the job.
courtesy of Jet Records. One of those what-if moments.
Paul has an interesting point about Sykes though, but I wonder
if Sykes at the time had grown to the superplayer he was
on Whitesnakes 1987 album?
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

John sykes is a monster player so is George. I thought I read on here that Sykes showed up for a audition for Ozzy and brought no equipment. I don't know how true this is though.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Re:

Post by Geo Sav »

Stiltzkin wrote:
zmack mylde wrote: George Lynch lost out twice to be Ozzy's guiatirst first to Randy Rhoads then to Jake E. Lee.
as far as I know, George didn't even audition for Ozzy the first time.
think I read something about that matter :shock: :?
Paul Wolfe wrote:I've always considered George to be a "B" level player. He's good, but not "star" quality in my book.
I believe that has something to do with Dokken ? :shock:
I thought he did audition for Ozzy lost to Randy and took over teaching at Musonia for Randy.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Geo Sav wrote:John sykes is a monster player so is George. I thought I read on here that Sykes showed up for a audition for Ozzy and brought no equipment. I don't know how true this is though.
Yeah, but how much of a monsterplayer was John Sykes back then?
Between Tygers & Thin Lizzy?

One thing about George...
He has stated himself in numerous interviews,
that he's worthless playing other peoples material.
While a collaboration between him and Ozzy might
have been interesting, how do you think those
classic songs would've sounded?
Burn Rocks

Post by Burn Rocks »

George is extremely far from being a
B level player.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Burn Rocks wrote:George is extremely far from being a
B level player.
Yep. I can agree on Dokken being a B-level band though...
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Stiltzkin wrote:
Burn Rocks wrote:George is extremely far from being a
B level player.
Yep. I can agree on Dokken being a B-level band though...

And Lynch Mob is a guitar players band... I don't know of anyone who has heard of Lynch Mob that doesn't play guitar...

By 'B Level' guitar player I didn't mean he's not a talented player, I meant he isn't iconic like Eddie, Slash, Clapton, Jimi, Satch...

George is a phenominal player, but, to me, he is on the level of 'Snake' Sabo or DiMartini...
quinnsryche

Post by quinnsryche »

George Lynch is a masterful guitar player. He is an incredible talent that doesn't get alot of recognition because alot of people consider Dokken a weak hair metal band. They are way more than that, listen to Back for the Attack or the live album. They have some of the best metal guitar playing of all time. They don't call him "Mr. Scary" for nothing you know!
Just my opinion.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

No, they call him Mr. Scary because of an average attempt to create his own Eruption... sorry to say, I will always believe George fits in with the second tier of '80's players.
quinnsryche

Post by quinnsryche »

Paul Wolfe wrote:No, they call him Mr. Scary because of an average attempt to create his own Eruption... sorry to say, I will always believe George fits in with the second tier of '80's players.
Do you know Randy himself said "This guy is much better than Van Halen"? That's a quote attributed to Kelly Garni who went with Randy and saw Lynch on numerous occasions. I guess that makes Eddie a 3rd tier hack according to your rating system. :shock:
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Oh, for crying out loud. George fucking sucks! Are you happy now?

George played in a second tier band - Dokken. Lynch Mob never made it into the mainstream consciousness. A LOT of very talented players never made it to Icon status. Randy also loved Ariel Bender and Mick Ronsen - neither of them ever were on Eddies level of Icon status either, although they both played in bigger bands than Dokken.

I never said George wasn't good (aside from my exasperated joke above). Randy liked his playing, so what? I like Rick Nielsen's playing and Randy thought he was sloppy and mediocre. He was also in a bigger band than Dokken!

George is a guitar players guitar player, not a mainstream guy. If you don't play guitar it's doubtful you even remember Dokken, let alone George.

By the way, 'quinnsryche' I grew up in Bellevue, Wa around the likes of Chris Degarmo and Mike Wilton - both of them are phenomenal players as well - but they'll never be Icons.