Joe Holmes demo

The guitarists of the Ozzy Osbourne band who never recorded with him.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

maybe Akira Takasaki would've been a great guitarist for Ozzy in
the 80's 8)
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

i know this is an old thread. but for those interested Joe Co-wrote 3 songs on the Down To Earth Album THAT I NEVER HAD, CAN YOU HEAR THEM, AND JUNKIE

Josh
Live Life Stronger Than Death
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

yeah .. and how good are those ? :roll:
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

That I Never Had rules!!!! thats an awesome riff. its simple but its nice.
Live Life Stronger Than Death
Gabriel Raphael
Cool Member

Post by Gabriel Raphael »

strat2tele1 wrote:Joe Holmes appears to be a very capable guitarist, but needs to cut back on the squeal.
Peace people

I met guitar players, bass players and even drummers who tried out for Ozzy before and after Randy Rhoads died., those before i met later of course.

Here are some things i know:
Van Hallen toured with Black Sabbath, it was there first big tour and the reason Ozzy ended up leaving and looking for a guitar player who had those skills and looks, Randy was the obvious choice.

After Randy died,
Bernie Torme, i personally think that if it was not for Bernie Ozzy would of called it quits!,

Brad Gillis, man he was good but Ozzy gave him a hard time, maybe he wanted to get him to play more aggressive or thought he should not get paid.

Adrian Vandenberg, He shows up with a manger and lawyers after told he gets the gig to make sure he does not go through the same crap Randy and Bernie did with empty financial promises and no say on what gives to the band.

Jake E Lee, good player, great showmanship, first dark haired guy in the band!

i will skip to Zakk, who i know was in the makes to be Ozzy's guitarists since 1986., for his looks!, and he will be the first to admit he would play for free for Ozzy. but you guys must remember the Malmsteen scenario, and how everyone wanted to play like Malmsteen., If Malmsteen never showed up i am sure Zakk would of smashed the scene., i think during that time he did well, killer player and still is, he is just right for Ozzy., i changed my post after thinking about past times with Zakk., if you can get him to tell you about them honestly he may just do so.

I like Joe Holmes allot., great tone and cool guy, i think he is a very good player and capable of writting a good record.

as for Alex????? strange to see his name here.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Gabriel Raphael wrote:as for Alex????? strange to see his name here.
Well he did play a few shows with Ozzy and was told (if I remember correctly) that he got the job!
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Gabriel Raphael wrote:
After Randy died,
Bernie Torme, i personally think that if it was not for Bernie Ozzy would of called it quits!
I read somewhere that Michael Schenker was Ozzy's first choice after Randy died, but he wanted an outrageous sum of money for the gig. It's too bad, I'd love to have heard Schenker's interpretation of Randy's playing. I think Randy would have liked it, too, since he once told his brother that Schenker was like a reincarnation of Mozart!
Gabriel Raphael
Cool Member

Well, its sick to me that Ozzy actually continued after Randy died but i guess it was what everyone had to do and while i can not speak for Randy i would of wanted everyone to go on too, i went to the Madison Square Garden show and watched Bernie that night, you could feel something weird about it., it was super loud, i emailed Bernie about it once, its un imagionable then for any band who dreamed to play the Garden, i mean we have bigger Arenas now, but back then it was the place to play.

To get the gig i think you needed to play Randy's stuff perfect, have a look nearly as good and a sound.

I never knew Alex played a few shows with Ozzy, cool guy Alex, i imagine he could work out too if they both wanted it too, what really surprised me is when Ozzy wanted to check out Bucket head, that would of been odd.

I still llke to see Eddie show up at a show at least with Ozzy, i bet if it ever happens we will hear a huge difference between him and Randy.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Never liked EVH too much.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

wasn't John Sykes considered as well ?

don't remember if it was before or after Randy, but ...
it would've been cool to see, because that guy could
play the heads of every guitarplayer in the 80's :twisted:
Gabriel Raphael
Cool Member

Yeah John was considered later, i think way later, like after Jake E. Lee.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Gabriel Raphael wrote:Yeah John was considered later, i think way later, like after Jake E. Lee.
would have been interesting to hear.
certainly interesting to speculate ;)

also, Alex didn't play a few shows with Ozzy,
Alex played one show before they got Joe Holmes.
Too bad though because Alex is a far better player :!:
pinto79

Post by pinto79 »

I enjoyed Joe's work the 3 times I saw him live with Ozzy back in the day.

He can be heard on the Prince of Darkness set.
lithead

Re: Joe Holmes demo

Post by lithead »

For all you Joe Holmes fans,

The first song from FARMIKOS, the new band led by former OZZY OSBOURNE/DAVID LEE ROTH guitarist Joe Holmes, can be streamed at Farmikos.com. Holmes is joined in the new group by former LAIDLAW singer Robert "Robbie" Locke .

Says Holmes: "It's been a long time coming. I'm really proud of this music and am excited about getting it out. So far everything has been done without a label or management and we're in the process of figuring the best way to put this music out.

"I've been working with a great vocalist Robbie Locke and fortunate to have had Robert Trujillo and Brooks Wackerman guest on this set of songs along with songwriting contributions from Brent Hoffort."

http://www.farmikos.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/FARMIKOS ... 41?fref=ts
lithead

Re: Joe Holmes demo

Post by lithead »

Latest update on Joe Holmes December 20, 2013 - Farmikos, the new L.A. band featuring former Ozzy Osbourne and David Lee Roth guitarist Joe Holmes and vocalist Robbie Locke (ex-Laidlaw), have announced a tentative February 2014 release for their eponymous digital debut EP.

Holmes says: "We've got these 5 songs to kick things off and will be finishing another five when Robbie comes back to L.A. in January to lay down vocals for another EP we're planning for summer 2014."

"Farmikos" track listing:

01. Scapegoat
02. Kings Of Dust
03. Sound Of My Gun
04. Exit Stencils
05. Spoon And Sun

Exit-Stencils (teaser)

Spoon and Sun (teaser)

Scapegoat (teaser)

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/farmikos

Web site