Off the Rails

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Off the Rails

Post by Paul Wolfe »

If you've not read Rudy Sarzo's Off the Rails yet, don't read this thread!!

I happen to have 3 DVDs of Quiet Riot whcih are labeled as being from the Whisky on 9/22 (set 1 and set 2)and the Starwood on 10/25/79. The 10/25/79 is the"Kevin's Birthday" show.

The reason I mention this is that I am reading Rudy's book and I've come across the first suspect bit of info. Kevin DuBrow said months ago (at RR.TK) not to trust Rudy's "facts" and a lot of people hammered him for it (including me, in my own mind). So in the book it says the last ever Quiet Riot show was October 2nd, 1979 at the Starwood - celebrating Kevin's birthday. Kevin's website lists October 29th, 1955 as his birthday.

According to http://www.timeanddate.com ( http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/ind ... &country=1 ), 10/02/79 was a Tuesday, 10/25/79 was a Thursday, and 10/29/79 was a Monday.

I'm just curious, because that fact seems to be so easily verifieable by Rudy. It makes much more sense that we ( the fans) would be wrong, not having been present for the show, than Rudy being wrong - having been onstage that night. However, on the 9/22/79 show Keving mentions that they'd be at the Starwood in a month for a show and it'd be his birthday. (Tomorrow I'll be watching both sets from the Whisky to verify just what Kevin said, because it could have bee, "next month" as opposed to "in a month", which would make a difference. THe next month after September is October, so 10/02 would be in the "next" month, get my drift?) It also seems more plausible that a show celebrating Kevin's birthday would take place on the 25th which is close to his birthdate rather than the 2nd which is nearly a month ahead.

Was Kevin right to question Rudy's "Facts"? If something that simple is wrong, what else is wrong? It also seemed odd that, according to Rudy, after he was hired Randy mentioned a song Ozzy allowed him to write which might be titled [/]Diary of a Madman[/i]. The context of the comment suggests that the song was not completed or maybe not recorded. I always heard that Lee and Bob played every note on Diary (the whole record). This comment of Rudy's seems to suggest that Rudy was around prior to the recording. Maybe I read it wrong, but that is my take on it. It could simply be a case of poor editing, but it piqued my curiosity.

*** Okay, after re-reading this passage on page 6, it looks like a case of poor wording/editing. Randy tells Rudy about composing the song and having the choral part, to which Rudy responds, "Can't wait to hear it." Rudy was shown all of Blizzard at this point because they were supporting that record in the States. He may not have heard anything from Diary except for Flying High Again and Believer, since those had been included in the Blizzard tour set.

I also saw at RR.TK that the 2nd edition is almost ready for printing, so mine would be a first edition (which is cool, if I can get it autographed and make it a collector's item:wink: ) Maybe there will be editorial changes in the 2nd edition? I'll definitely look for it at Barnes & Knoble to investigate.

Any thoughts?

Maybe someone who has a membership at RR.TK could post a question about the date of that "last" show in the Ask Kevin section there? I'm sure Kevin would know the answer (and might like the chance to "correct" Rudy :twisted: )
Last edited by Paul Wolfe on Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Flying Dutchman

Re: Off the Rails questionable?

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

RockyRhoads wrote:The 10/25/79 is the"Kevin's Birthday" show.

The reason I mention this is that I am reading Rudy's book and I've come across the first suspect bit of info. Kevin DuBrow said months ago (at RR.TK) not to trust Rudy's "facts" and a lot of people hammered him for it (including me, in my own mind). So in the book it says the last ever Quiet Riot show was October 2nd, 1979 at the Starwood - celebrating Kevin's birthday. Kevin's website lists October 29th, 1955 as his birthday.

According to http://www.timeanddate.com ( http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/ind ... &country=1 ), 10/02/79 was a Tuesday, 10/25/79 was a Thursday, and 10/29/79 was a Monday.
I've seen the "Kevin's Birthday" show and if I remember correctly at one point somewhere early in the show Kevin Dubrow is telling the audience something like "It's Saturday night ! " . Actually I'm sure he said something like that and to me it would be very unlikely he would mistake the nameday while performing that same night! :oops:
So if it was on a saturday it makes sense that the correct date of that show should be something like 10/27/79 then....... ( maybe the first '7' was somehow lost in Rudy's book? ) Anyway if it was on a saturday it means that Rudy's book for sure is giving wrong date of that show.
Keep in mind that a birthday party doesn't have to be necesarrily celebrated on someones born date. Sometimes people like to celebrate it on a more convenient day than the born date. I know in Holland they do, not sure about the U.S., but I expect it's the same over there.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Yes, I agree, it does not have to be on the specific birth date, but it would seem odd to celebrate 25 days early!

I haven't had a chance to watch the DVDs today (I'm stayingin while the wife takes the boy's out for Halloween tonight, so I'll have hours of viewing time!), I do remember a "Saturday night" comment as well.

The only reason it is important to me is that if one easy fact is incorrect, then how many others are suspect? As a whole, I like this book very much. It totally takes you to a different place in time. It will be a very important part of my collection for years to come.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Okay, I just sat through the whole first set from 9/22/79 and Kevin says "the end of next month. the ed of October" and goes on to mention his birthday... so the information in the book is definitely wrong... typo? I hope so...
The Flying Dutchman

Re: Off the Rails questionable?

RockyRhoads wrote:Was Kevin right to question Rudy's "Facts"? If something that simple is wrong, what else is wrong?
Not to be Kevin Dubrow's advocate here, but I think he has a point that 'facts' is not Rudy's strongest point. There is enough evidence of that. I know in a certain case (very different situation btw) also Bob Daisley complained about that as well.

I haven't read the book yet, but I bet there are more 'facts' to be find. I hope these 'facts' will be corrected in newer editions? And I hope people dare to correct Rudy when finding some 'facts'. There should be room here for praise but also critisim to maybe improve his book. I don't think he will mind that. Trying to know the truth should be number one, especially at a RR discussion forum.

Not sure if we can really blame Rudy for some of those 'facts', I'm sure he wrote this book with the best intentions, finally we have someone who is doing something about the RR legacy! :D I hope the book will give a good impression how it was like being on the road with that 'circus' those days. And I take some of those 'facts' for granted. We can always correct those 'facts' here! :wink:
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I just want to point out that I really like the book a lot. I am simply one of those guys who notices things when they seem wrong... I am willing to bet that the "fact" I mentioned is nothing more than a typo by the publisher.

There are a number of typos in the book which are dropped letters or misspelled words. These things don't take away from my enjoyment of the book.
Rudy Sarzo
Bassplayer with Randy

Yes the last QR show date is a typo.

Post by Rudy Sarzo »

Hello Everyone,
Yes the last QR show date is a typo.
To be honest, I didn't begin keeping a log of touring dates until I joined Ozzy since the original intetntion for the log was for my personal taxes. During the Randy QR days we didn't earn enough money from our live performances to file for taxes. Most of the earnings went to pay for giging expenses, rehearsals, demos etc.
For anyone who doubts the credibility of my book based on a few typos please keep in mind that I wrote it so I could answer the many fans who through the years have asked me "What was Randy really like."
God Bless,
Rudy
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

All I can say is this: i coldn't put the book down!!

so if a few dates are wrong that doesn't bother me. All i know is being a Randy Rhoads fan I was FINALLY filed in on what it would be like to spend some time with him. I felt like i got to know Randy, Ozzy, Sharon, Tommy (the ladies man lol) and Rudy all much better. i think that was Rudys purpose with this book. I also enjoyed reading about the auditions after randy passed and so on

I have always thought that it seems that everyone in Randys life considered him to be their best friend and it also seems that most do whatever they can to try and disprove the other. I didn't feel in reading the book that rudy did that at all and i give him major hats off for that. Also Rudy showed us that while at the end Randy was becoming unhappy he DID enjoy his time with ozzy. It seems that the more and more time goes on people try an make us believe that he and ozzy didn't have a good relationship. After reading Off The Rails i am confident that they did.

I would advise any randy rhoads or ozzy fan to check it out. its a must read.
Live Life Stronger Than Death
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: Yes the last QR show date is a typo.

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Rudy Sarzo wrote:Hello Everyone,
Yes the last QR show date is a typo...

For anyone who doubts the credibility of my book based on a few typos please keep in mind that I wrote it so I could answer the many fans who through the years have asked me "What was Randy really like."
God Bless,
Rudy
Rudy,

I want you to know that I loved the book and don't doubt any of your facts. I've read the book twice and realize that there are a number of typographical errors. I am pretty sure that you didn't type up the final copy yourself, so I'll attribute the mistakes to whomever did type it.

I only brought up the subject here as a way to get people discussing the book. I came across what I found to be a mistake and brought it up in hopes that someone would be interested in a discussion, not to discredit you in any way.

Thank you for sharing your memories with us, I will appreciate ad treasure this book forever.
Xanadu
Cool Member

Post by Xanadu »

Thank you Rudy so much for this wonderful book. It is indeed a dream come true. Thank you again.....
".....the moment Randy Rhoads walked out on stage, you knew you were WITNESSING something IMPORTANT."
funk49

Post by funk49 »

Once again thanks for writing the book Rudy ( five stars). I left a reveiw with Amazon.com. I highly recommend it to all Randy fans.
FUNK49
The Flying Dutchman

Re: Yes the last QR show date is a typo.

Rudy Sarzo wrote:For anyone who doubts the credibility of my book based on a few typos please keep in mind that I wrote it so I could answer the many fans who through the years have asked me "What was Randy really like."
Hey Rudy,
It's very much appreciated! :D

Btw: so the 'last' QR gig was at 10/27/79 ?

& Welcome aboard!
FlyingHigh

Post by FlyingHigh »

Hey Rudy, great to see you join up to the site. Yeah, ive read the book and was very impressed. So what if theirs a few typos, its the main chunk thats most important!
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Rudy how much research did you have apart from your diary.It must of been hard to remember everything that happened on a day to day account.
SunKing

Post by SunKing »

I will add my name as another who has read and really enjoyed 'Off the Rails'. I got to see Randy back in '82 - it was an honor. When I heard of Rudy's book - I had to get a copy. I'm glad I did.