Sarzo on pro shot footage in his book :(

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Sarzo on pro shot footage in his book :(

Post by axeman_12656 »

In Rudy Sarzos book OFF THE RAILS he mentions the day After Hours was recorded and that it was the only PRO shot footage of randy on the Blizzard tour. Later he the book he talks about ET coming to rehearsal and that the segment is the only PRO footage of randy on the Diary tour. He also stated that they just filmed for a few minutes!!

Just thought i would share this with everyone. stuff we already knew but we always hope to one day hear a different answer.

Josh
Live Life Stronger Than Death
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I dont think the footage being pro shot is the question or ever really was the question!
I think it is likely that they recorded more footage on good quality video to see how the stage show looked to the audience. I think that pro-shot is an erroneous phrase it implies camera men multi angles and a production team. What we will see when it becomes public property will be low quality and recorded on one camera (perhaps 2) and made for Ozzy's own use, OR similer quality recorded on house cameras with Ozzy's permision or perhaps not. As the bands reputation grew after they hit the US in April 1981 any venue owner with an idea of future cash earning would have realised that this band with the huge growing reputation would be worth recording with or without permision.
We all know what the press coveridge was like from April 1981 to March 1982 and many of us have seen and heard new video and audio just show up when we all believed or were told that nothing new was around! I think that if it is proved that nothing new is out there on video what about all the out-takes from the albums that Bob has mentioned including 5 mins of guitar solo from the 'Diary' track Tonight, or the whole of the Montreal 1981 show and the Southampton 1980 show that were pro-recorded what wouldn't we give to hear those!!!!!!! 8)
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
The Flying Dutchman

Re: Sarzo on pro shot footage in his book :(

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

axeman_12656 wrote: Later he the book he talks about ET coming to rehearsal and that the segment is the only PRO footage of randy on the Diary tour. He also stated that they just filmed for a few minutes!!
I think Rudy's memory is not very accurate here:

First:
At least 3 camera teams were filming during the Diary pre-production week: Entertainment Tonight (ET) / Two on the town / Rock report.

Second:
It's not likely they filmed for just a few minutes. For intance we've seen different parts of "I don't know", "Crazy Train" and Mr. "Crowley". Consider "I don't know" we've footage of the End of this song and also a part of the solo, which indicates the whole song was shot. We also have footage of the end of Mr. Crowley. Would they only film parts of these songs? I don't thinks so. This is not just a few minutes.

Third:
Look at the Tribute Japan vid. Rudy was saying that as far he knew (right :wink: ) "After Hours" was the only footage of Randy performing live........ After he was confronted by a fan who attented him on the Diary pre-production footage suddenly "After Hours" wasn't the only footage anymore...... :wink:

Fourth:
I don't think you will read much controversial things in his book. The footage is a part of that I guess.
For instance did he write that Randy's mother had to sue the Osbournes for years to get some of Randy's money? And $haron changing Randy's contract within a few days after the crash? (ask Bob Daisley, if he was talking bullshit he would already be sued by the Osbournes by now....
Hence why so little is released? Somebody sees a connection here? :idea:

I read all the Bob interviews and never found one false fact.
Compare this with Rudy: for instance he was asked about the change in Randy's sound between the Blizzard and Diary tour, his answer: "during Diary Randy used Jackson guitars". Right, Randy forgot to take his Les Paul and Polka V with him on the Diary tour.....

Fifth:
Lyndsy Brigdewater was asked about existing footage, right on he stated that he remembered camera's at "Day on the Green". (without asking him particular about DOTG........) If not true, why would he make this up?

Sixth:
If they don't want to release any footage because of some reasons.
What if they would say "Yeah at least 3 shows were filmed but because of some problems between the Rhoads camp and the Osbourne's it can't be released, maybe one day, please be patient......." ( :oops: :lol: )
Of course they will not say something like that because it's a bit hard to explain in a situation of a guitarplayer who's legacy is treated very, very poorly compared with other legends.

Seventh:
The Texas soundcheck footage:
Rudy's comments: "yeah sometimes they were allowed to only film the soundcheck and sometimes they could film the whole gig when having permission." .
(Rudy's anwers leaves a possibility here, and oke this is not pro-footage, but I think a show of Super8 quality is still very worth to see! )

Eight:
Rudy wasn't there during the first Blizzard England tour.
To me it is very unlikely that nothing from this first tour (remember: Ozzy first solo tour!!!! ) was captured. Oke, maybe not pro-shot, but nothing.... :?

Finally:
I'm very happy about Rudy's book, not to slag him here, but some things we need to take with a grain of salt.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: Sarzo on pro shot footage in his book :(

Post by Paul Wolfe »

The Flying Dutchman wrote: I think Rudy's memory is not very accurate here:
Wow, I just had a Kevin DuBrow flashback :wink:
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

you make for a good argument, counsellor. i rest my case.
easter

Post by easter »

I refuse to believe that
Donnie
Cool Member

Post by Donnie »

The end of Over the Mountain is in the Entertainment Tonight / Two on the town / Rock report footage too. So thats 4 songs and 1 soundcheck song, sounds like a decent sized video to me. :wink:
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I think Mr Sarzo is trying to clear the air not just on the question of "is there any video/pro shot or not footage available"He must be sick of hearing this and people asking questions about Randy ..All he is doing in his book is telling everyone that this IS what i know full stop.Why try to read between the lines.We aren't all experts on this and other subjects about But only IF is the question.We want to hear something positive and Live in hope to see more lost footage etc.I had photos that no one else had seen before so the answer is Yes it is still out there just waiting to be seen.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

If I am correct in my thought process here, then the "facts" in the book about any video might be suspect.
The Flying Dutchman

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:IWhy try to read between the lines.
Hey Shaun,
We aren't. Rudy came with some facts which are not true. That's all.
This forum is here to discuss things like that and try to get to know the truth.
I'm very happy that Rudy wrote the book, I'm very anxious to read it! :twisted: I think Rudy is a great guy but that should not stop us to critizise some things he said.
zero wrote:The end of Over the Mountain is in the Entertainment Tonight / Two on the town / Rock report footage too. So thats 4 songs and 1 soundcheck song, sounds like a decent sized video to me. :wink:
Exactly! :D
IF this footage is still out there, can you imagine what a great compilation they could make of this!

Remember this quote: "We are sitting on tons of stuff we can't use...." ~ $. Osbourne.
And to me it's very likely they are....
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

One thing that'd be interesting to me is to see something like the uncut version of AFTER HOURS. Since there were multiple camera angles, there would have been video from multiple cameras edited together. That's how it was when my best friends band did a Pulic Access show of his band.

I'd like to see just the camera on Randy... then again, at the end of the last song, you can see Randy turn around and take off his guitar, then it cuts out. I'd even be interested in seeing the guys walking around between songs, Ozzy's interaction with the "20 fans" in the audience, etc.

Wouldn't it be cool to hear from somone in that audience?
Randy Magic
Friend of Randy

Post by Randy Magic »

I think Rudy is a great guy but that should not stop us to critizise some things he said.
Same for Kevin. There is a reason the family wants nothing to do with him, and that is all I'll say.
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

Randy Magic wrote:
I think Rudy is a great guy but that should not stop us to critizise some things he said.
Same for Kevin. There is a reason the family wants nothing to do with him, and that is all I'll say.
i agree. and we need to keep in mind this was all over 25 years ago. its gotta be hard to go back that far and get all the dates and memories perfect.

Josh
Live Life Stronger Than Death
The Flying Dutchman

Randy Magic wrote:
Agree with that. btw I wonder if the cause of that disturbed relation is a 'character' thing or a certain event(s)? It's a bit sad to hear that since he was Randy's best friend..... (as claimed by Kelly Garni)

As for 'facts', the only one so far I have noticed was that he said Randy's pedalboard was build by Pete Cornish (instead of Pete Holmes), still from what I read I think Kevin has a very detailed memory about his days with Randy. It's the same with Bob Daisley.