question about 30th annv live CD

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

romeorose2

question about 30th annv live CD

Post by romeorose2 »

Randys playing sounds different to me on this.

Has anyone found out the dates and places of these recordings?

Has anyone compared these recordings to any original bootlegs?

Is all of the playing on that cd Randy, or did someone else overdub some of their own playing?

Are these unaltered recordings, or did someone just copy & paste, mix and match licks from this solo or that performance and splice them together into something randy never actually played in sequence?

The cd sounds good. But to me it just don't sound like anything else I heard of randys so I'm suspicious that things were tampered with.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: question about 30th annv live CD

Post by Paul Wolfe »

romeorose2 wrote:Are these unaltered recordings, or did someone just copy & paste, mix and match licks from this solo or that performance and splice them together into something randy never actually played in sequence?
You're referring to the spotlight solo?

I must confess the I have this recording but have never listened to it... now I'll have to check it out.
romeorose2

Post by romeorose2 »

There's just some licks & fills here and there in all of the songs that just seem to add more fire to the songs than I've heard on other recordings. I just listened to it again today to refresh my memory. This CD is such amazing sound quality, I almost like this as much as Tribute. Paranoid on here is the best solo I've ever heard Randy do on Paranoid.

The Spotlight solo sounds a bit strange to me on here because it seems he put in a lot of licks and style on this take that he used during his quiet riot days, where in contrast, none of those types of licks were on the spotlight solo on Tribute.

I wonder if all these tracks are from the same show, or if not then what specific shows and dates were they pulled from? And is there other bootlegs out there that match this in terms of sound quality?
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

I don't know the specific dates, in fact it may even be impossible to tell since I'm sure some parts came from early 80's shows like the New Hampton show.

However, I do know that they spliced the parts together from various shows. Taking the best of each show and splicing it together. You can tell because the guitars change tone occasionally throughout the show. More so than if he was just changing guitars.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

So, I was listening to this through headphones at work, and I agree, it sounds different than any of the boots I've heard. Randy sounds like Eddie did on Live Without a Net, which is to say loose and fluid.

On many of the live recordings I've heard Randy sounds like he's concentrating and focused on his performance. On this recording, Randy seems to be in a groove and totally relaxed.

I agree many of the fills sound different and overall it sounds so alive.

Good ear, there buddy, thank you for your observations.
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

Paul Wolfe wrote:So, I was listening to this through headphones at work, and I agree, it sounds different than any of the boots I've heard. Randy sounds like Eddie did on Live Without a Net, which is to say loose and fluid.

On many of the live recordings I've heard Randy sounds like he's concentrating and focused on his performance. On this recording, Randy seems to be in a groove and totally relaxed.

I agree many of the fills sound different and overall it sounds so alive.

Good ear, there buddy, thank you for your observations.
I actually thought some of the licks sounded stale. Like the opening lick on "I Don't Know", it does not have the fire of other recordings.

BTW this has already been discussed. I have offered my reasoned opinion on the songs and about the date of this show as well as from what parts this recording is from. It is from at least 2 different shows and I suspect a good case could be made for a splicing of 3 shows.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Revelation is certainly from Providence 7.8.1981
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I am not a guitarist but I did wonder if the solo was randy knowing he was being recorded and trying out a new solo because he would be able to hear it after the show and compare it to the other recorded solos we know he made?
Or at a push it could be the engineer using the solo played and adding parts from the Southampton solo and mixing them together?

I prefer to think it was the first option.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

Post by LongRhoadsAhead »

I've thought similar things about this album. He sounds so different in the spotlight solo and a few others. I need to listen again soon. Also, does OP's username not catch your attention? It did mine...
I went ahead and rode the white horse
Nick
Cool Member

Post by Nick »

orion_damage wrote:Revelation is certainly from Providence 7.8.1981

Can comfirm +1
Donnie
Cool Member

Post by Donnie »

Nick wrote:
orion_damage wrote:Revelation is certainly from Providence 7.8.1981

Can comfirm +1
no there not, listen again. they are very similar. on 8-7-81 randy plays some toggle switching in the slow part. he doesn't do that in the ozzy live version and in the ozzy live version ozzy says allright after the slow middle section ends.
1756 Mozart~1956 Rhoads~2156 ??????
Brian_D

Post by Brian_D »

I do know the spotlight solo on "Tribute" was spliced here and there from at least 2 performances...maybe more? That's surely part of the reason it sounds different....?

Or is my memory failing me and it was just that the spotlight solo was taken from an entirely different show than the majority of "Tribute"? Jeezus... I can't remember now...? :(
P C M
Cool Member

Post by P C M »

Brian_D wrote:I do know the spotlight solo on "Tribute" was spliced here and there from at least 2 performances...maybe more? That's surely part of the reason it sounds different....?

Or is my memory failing me and it was just that the spotlight solo was taken from an entirely different show than the majority of "Tribute"? Jeezus... I can't remember now...? :(

Wasn't the "Tribute" spot light solo taken from Montreal and sped up a bit? This could be what you are talking about. To me (30th anniversay solo),this sounds like it was taken from another show.
Brian_D

Post by Brian_D »

P C M wrote:
Brian_D wrote:I do know the spotlight solo on "Tribute" was spliced here and there from at least 2 performances...maybe more? That's surely part of the reason it sounds different....?

Wasn't the "Tribute" spot light solo taken from Montreal and sped up a bit? This could be what you are talking about. To me (30th anniversay solo),this sounds like it was taken from another show.
Yeah...now that you mention it, I believe it was.
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

poofters
Last edited by TAB on Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.