Bill Shelley Footage

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

Bill Shelley Footage

Post by LongRhoadsAhead »

I understand that this topic has been asked about before but I have never shared my conversation with Bill Shelley confirming its existence, superb quality and blockade on the release by Sharon. So, in the spirit of the footage i found on vimeo yesterday ,
( https://vimeo.com/144074473 ) I'd like to get a conversation on this footage started because it is out there for a fact and I don't think this footage has been discussed near enough. The following will be emails exchanged by myself and Bill Shelley.

Me: Hello, I have been searching for footage of Ozzy Osbourne with Randy Rhoads and came across Bill Shelley Archives as a rumored archivist to have footage in his possession. I am writing with this email wanting confirmation that something exists, and if so what does exists, or having the rumor disproven. Any information regarding footage of Ozzy Osbourne and Randy Rhoads would be greatly appreciated as I am a lifelong fan of Randy Rhoads. Thank you for your time.

Kind Regards,
Patrick

Bill Shelley: Patrick,

I do have some rare footage of Randy Rhoads and Ozzy Osbourne performing at a birthday party and some concert clips and some Black Sabbath footage from the Netherlands in 1973. But I only own the footage, not the rights. I have informed the Osbournes of the footage to inquire about giving a showing but am not released to do so at this time.

So sorry to disappoint you, but I can show none of this at this time and certainly cannot release any copies whatsoever. Good luck in you search for new materials that you can see or own.

Me: Thank you for your response. Despite not being able to see it, I am happy to know that it exists. Do you know of any possibility of the birthday party footage ever being released?

BS: This was a home video with sound, of course, professional quality, but I have no idea whether or not any other copies exist anywhere. I haven't seen or heard of any others, but one never knows for sure these days. Note that this was in the early '80's. I got the footage in the mid '80's on 3/4" tape with a whole bunch of other tapes. I didn't know what I had until I screened. So my ownership was purely accidental. That's why I don't have all of the history of it.
I went ahead and rode the white horse
Tito
Mass Poster

Re: Bill Shelley Footage

Post by Tito »

thats interesting!i was looking for his website today during lunch Lol!thanks Lra!!
LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

no problem brother. if the osbournes ever do a release of footage, this will definitely be in there because Bill appears to want it released and makes it appear as if Sharon is not opposed to its release. I feel that if Sharon told him it wouldn't be released, Bill would have made that obvious in his responses to me.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

theres a video clip of randy sitting at a table an says happy birthday to the camera..wonder if its the same party..saw it on youtube a few years ago..
LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

Tito wrote:theres a video clip of randy sitting at a table an says happy birthday to the camera..wonder if its the same party..saw it on youtube a few years ago..
i have seen that video! I was told it Don Arden/s birthday party? But the band didn't play that day. I have never heard a story of another birthday party where the band played which makes this lead so confusing..
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

poofters
Last edited by TAB on Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

TAB wrote:Thanks for this LongRhoadsAhead, that is pretty interesting. Good ol Sharon again not allowing because she wants to make the money. Just like the Capitol footage.

Relax bro :P
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

Shockwave wrote:
TAB wrote:Thanks for this LongRhoadsAhead, that is pretty interesting. Good ol Sharon again not allowing because she wants to make the money. Just like the Capitol footage.

Relax bro :P
:roll:
LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

Yeah Tom that's what i am taking from it as well. Would you agree that by Bill's responses that he believes it will be released? "I have informed the Osbournes of the footage to inquire about giving a showing but am not released to do so at this time." Who knows. I'm wishful on every footage lead :roll:
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

thats the feeling i got from it.also i noticed he says a birthday party "and" shows..before he says and black sabbath stuff..more or less along those lines
LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

Tito wrote:thats the feeling i got from it.also i noticed he says a birthday party "and" shows..before he says and black sabbath stuff..more or less along those lines
woah tito good catch i never noticed that. yeah he says the birthday footage and some concert clips before he mentions sabbath! I haven't spoken with him in a year so i'll send an email tonight. I'll update if he responds.
Matlike1

Post by Matlike1 »

I don't think Sharon is just out to be greedy with every little thing, if you ever heard her side of things with all the legal bullshit/backlash and ramifications she likely has to deal with to release anything you'd probably understand why it's not out. I would think there will be more Randy stuff released in the future at some point. I doubt they want to release anything that is sub par either, all cut up and silent etc, they probably feel Randy deserves better than that and to be seen in good quality, not crap quality. And they likely have more stuff going on in their lives than just thinking about the period from 1980-1982 and when to release more Randy footage.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

"This was a home video with sound, of course, professional quality, but I have no idea whether or not any other copies exist anywhere. "

Home video that is professional quality"? Curious wording.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Man just a pic from bills phone of his footage playing would be great. He can't get in hot water for that I imagine.
Astral Plane

Post by Astral Plane »

I'd love to see the 1973 Sabbath film as well.. Surprised Jack didn't contact him for Randy, and Sabbath footage when he made the God Bless Ozzy documentary. We have some scary news involving The Shelley Archives, Don Henley and Glen Frey are suing Bill, AND trying to have his WHOLE film collection seized!! This could be horrendous
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagles-fan-lawsuit/