Yngwie Malmsteen in 1978 VS Randy Rhoads in 1978

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

orion_damage
Mass Poster

Re: Yngwie Malmsteen in 1978 VS Randy Rhoads in 1978

Post by orion_damage »

romeorose2 wrote:I wish Frank would release or leak all the tapes of lessons he has... I think that is a holy grail right there, all the insight. He has a whole box of them. I hope we get to hear those soon, because I love the two that's been online all these years and can only imagine how awesome the others are. Hope PM releases his one day as well.
The lesson tapes are wonderful and something I'd like to hear more of. The portion that Peter put in the bonus features of the RR QR DVD is incredible. The clarity and interaction between Peter and Randy is so cool to hear. Even the little things like hearing Randy's footsteps as he walks out to see if a student is waiting to the riffing/conversation. It certainly gives you a "moment in time" type of feel.
The_Scratch

Post by The_Scratch »

Randy = MOZART / Perfect composition and melody. A prodigy.
Yngwie = BACH / A myriad of structured notes in a dizzying array.
Eddie = BEETHOVEN / The pop artist. Pure songwriting and a dash of what's popular for the ages.
romeorose2

Post by romeorose2 »

That's a great analogy Scratch. Mozart, Bach etc, seems to be fitting for all 3 and I do like all of them. But Randy is my fave, Yngwie my 2nd fave and EVH my 3rd fave... Yall should check out some of Vinnie Moore CDs, The Maze etc, he is very underrated
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

I'd like to add some Paganini to Yngwie as well.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

romeorose2 wrote:I wish Frank would release or leak all the tapes of lessons he has... I think that is a holy grail right there, all the insight. He has a whole box of them. I hope we get to hear those soon, because I love the two that's been online all these years and can only imagine how awesome the others are. Hope PM releases his one day as well.
The thing is, while those are brilliant examples of Randy's playing and ability, they are also Frank's personal memories of time spent with his friend. He once told me that it is difficult for him to listen to these tapes because it reminds him that his friend is gone. I completely understand and respect Frank not releasing those tapes to the world.

What is interesting to me is that we've heard for years that Randy had well over a hundred students... so there must be other tapes out there. Snippets of Peter Margolis' tapes were included with the Quiet Riot book/DVD that Ron Sobol & Andrew Klein put out a few years back. It was pretty cool to hear Randy playing Van Halen.
friday

Post by friday »

thread title : " YM in 1978 " = he was 15 year kid , thats 1.5 decades old !!