It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:44 am


Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 4   [ 51 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Diary of a Madman guitar intro
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:17 pm 
Mass Poster

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:19 am
Posts: 5171
strontium90 wrote:
Check this Texas band out, its almost a look at what could have been...the singer sounds alot like K evin Dubrow, even kind of looks like him, the guitarist is obvioulsy influenced by Randy, the white les paul etc. They are called Scorpion Child.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPGabnPz0bk


I liked that, thanks for the link.

After reading the EVH interview in the new Guitar World, it's my hope that when Wolfgang's record comes out it'll have the effect that the first Van Halen record had in '78.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Diary of a Madman guitar intro
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:07 pm 
Madman
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:11 pm
Posts: 487
Paul Wolfe wrote:
strontium90 wrote:
Check this Texas band out, its almost a look at what could have been...the singer sounds alot like K evin Dubrow, even kind of looks like him, the guitarist is obviously influenced by Randy, the white les paul etc. They are called Scorpion Child.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPGabnPz0bk


I liked that, thanks for the link.

After reading the EVH interview in the new Guitar World, it's my hope that when Wolfgang's record comes out it'll have the effect that the first Van Halen record had in '78.


Eddie sure did a great job hyping his son's record and I will give it a listen to when it comes out. I don't think his record will be the one to ignite a musical shift though. It'll most likely be from an unknown just like how Van Halen was all those years ago.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Diary of a Madman guitar intro
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:46 am 
Junior Member

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:23 pm
Posts: 31
Kirk Hammet on "Diary of a Madman".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=32&v=KSAIUC8lr1Y


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Diary of a Madman guitar intro
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:10 pm
Posts: 1895
Location: England
Paul Wolfe wrote:
However, I disagree on how influential he was. Great player, phenomenal talent but his "influence" waned years ago. For crying out loud the members of this community love to talk about Randy's guitars but the section about discussing his playing[i] - and the playing of guitar in general - is ignored. If Randy were still influential, people would be discussing his use of diminished scales, modes, arpeggios, etc... but they are not. No one here posts videos of themselves covering Randy's solos like they did at RR.TK.

For the record, I think it's a shame that he is not so well known anymore. I think his contributions to the world of metal guitar were amazing and he [i]should[i] be as influential as Eddie. Unfortunately we live in a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately world. Young players now consider Hendrix and EVH to be hacks because they are living in a world where the bar has been raised to an unbelievable level. Forget the fact that Jimi and Eddie are the [i]reason
for the bar being so high. Randy fits into that group of "hacks" in the view of so many (no, not all) younger players.

Paul, funnily enough, I recently had to do an audition for a comp in the UK. I played a number of Randy parts. I think the reason why people aren't perhaps recording themselves as much as they used to is because it actually requires time and effort to get it all setup and what not. Maybe I'll do some in the future, see if I can get the section going again :D


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Diary of a Madman guitar intro
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:50 pm 
Mass Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 11:30 pm
Posts: 502
Location: utah, usa
skezza wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:
However, I disagree on how influential he was. Great player, phenomenal talent but his "influence" waned years ago. For crying out loud the members of this community love to talk about Randy's guitars but the section about discussing his playing[i] - and the playing of guitar in general - is ignored. If Randy were still influential, people would be discussing his use of diminished scales, modes, arpeggios, etc... but they are not. No one here posts videos of themselves covering Randy's solos like they did at RR.TK.

For the record, I think it's a shame that he is not so well known anymore. I think his contributions to the world of metal guitar were amazing and he [i]should[i] be as influential as Eddie. Unfortunately we live in a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately world. Young players now consider Hendrix and EVH to be hacks because they are living in a world where the bar has been raised to an unbelievable level. Forget the fact that Jimi and Eddie are the [i]reason
for the bar being so high. Randy fits into that group of "hacks" in the view of so many (no, not all) younger players.

Paul, funnily enough, I recently had to do an audition for a comp in the UK. I played a number of Randy parts. I think the reason why people aren't perhaps recording themselves as much as they used to is because it actually requires time and effort to get it all setup and what not. Maybe I'll do some in the future, see if I can get the section going again :D


My problem is that I don't have good recording equipment. So it is not tight like a lot of other people that play for the camera's. I just have an I pad. It is ok. But you don't get as rich a sound as if I had pro tools or something like it with the right mic's too.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Diary of a Madman guitar intro
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:10 pm
Posts: 1895
Location: England
dannyahansen wrote:
skezza wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:
However, I disagree on how influential he was. Great player, phenomenal talent but his "influence" waned years ago. For crying out loud the members of this community love to talk about Randy's guitars but the section about discussing his playing[i] - and the playing of guitar in general - is ignored. If Randy were still influential, people would be discussing his use of diminished scales, modes, arpeggios, etc... but they are not. No one here posts videos of themselves covering Randy's solos like they did at RR.TK.

For the record, I think it's a shame that he is not so well known anymore. I think his contributions to the world of metal guitar were amazing and he [i]should[i] be as influential as Eddie. Unfortunately we live in a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately world. Young players now consider Hendrix and EVH to be hacks because they are living in a world where the bar has been raised to an unbelievable level. Forget the fact that Jimi and Eddie are the [i]reason
for the bar being so high. Randy fits into that group of "hacks" in the view of so many (no, not all) younger players.

Paul, funnily enough, I recently had to do an audition for a comp in the UK. I played a number of Randy parts. I think the reason why people aren't perhaps recording themselves as much as they used to is because it actually requires time and effort to get it all setup and what not. Maybe I'll do some in the future, see if I can get the section going again :D


My problem is that I don't have good recording equipment. So it is not tight like a lot of other people that play for the camera's. I just have an I pad. It is ok. But you don't get as rich a sound as if I had pro tools or something like it with the right mic's too.

I don't either. I just use a crappy camera.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 4   [ 51 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
twilightBB Style by Daniel St. Jules of Gamexe.net