Diary of a Madman guitar intro

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: Diary of a Madman guitar intro

Post by Paul Wolfe »

strontium90 wrote:Check this Texas band out, its almost a look at what could have been...the singer sounds alot like K evin Dubrow, even kind of looks like him, the guitarist is obvioulsy influenced by Randy, the white les paul etc. They are called Scorpion Child.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPGabnPz0bk
I liked that, thanks for the link.

After reading the EVH interview in the new Guitar World, it's my hope that when Wolfgang's record comes out it'll have the effect that the first Van Halen record had in '78.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
strontium90 wrote:Check this Texas band out, its almost a look at what could have been...the singer sounds alot like K evin Dubrow, even kind of looks like him, the guitarist is obviously influenced by Randy, the white les paul etc. They are called Scorpion Child.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPGabnPz0bk
I liked that, thanks for the link.

After reading the EVH interview in the new Guitar World, it's my hope that when Wolfgang's record comes out it'll have the effect that the first Van Halen record had in '78.
Eddie sure did a great job hyping his son's record and I will give it a listen to when it comes out. I don't think his record will be the one to ignite a musical shift though. It'll most likely be from an unknown just like how Van Halen was all those years ago.
strontium90

Post by strontium90 »

Kirk Hammet on "Diary of a Madman".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=32&v=KSAIUC8lr1Y
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Paul Wolfe wrote: However, I disagree on how influential he was. Great player, phenomenal talent but his "influence" waned years ago. For crying out loud the members of this community love to talk about Randy's guitars but the section about discussing his playing - and the playing of guitar in general - is ignored. If Randy were still influential, people would be discussing his use of diminished scales, modes, arpeggios, etc... but they are not. No one here posts videos of themselves covering Randy's solos like they did at RR.TK.

For the record, I think it's a shame that he is not so well known anymore. I think his contributions to the world of metal guitar were amazing and he should be as influential as Eddie. Unfortunately we live in a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately world. Young players now consider Hendrix and EVH to be hacks because they are living in a world where the bar has been raised to an unbelievable level. Forget the fact that Jimi and Eddie are the reason for the bar being so high. Randy fits into that group of "hacks" in the view of so many (no, not all) younger players.

Paul, funnily enough, I recently had to do an audition for a comp in the UK. I played a number of Randy parts. I think the reason why people aren't perhaps recording themselves as much as they used to is because it actually requires time and effort to get it all setup and what not. Maybe I'll do some in the future, see if I can get the section going again :D
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

skezza wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote: However, I disagree on how influential he was. Great player, phenomenal talent but his "influence" waned years ago. For crying out loud the members of this community love to talk about Randy's guitars but the section about discussing his playing - and the playing of guitar in general - is ignored. If Randy were still influential, people would be discussing his use of diminished scales, modes, arpeggios, etc... but they are not. No one here posts videos of themselves covering Randy's solos like they did at RR.TK.

For the record, I think it's a shame that he is not so well known anymore. I think his contributions to the world of metal guitar were amazing and he should be as influential as Eddie. Unfortunately we live in a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately world. Young players now consider Hendrix and EVH to be hacks because they are living in a world where the bar has been raised to an unbelievable level. Forget the fact that Jimi and Eddie are the reason for the bar being so high. Randy fits into that group of "hacks" in the view of so many (no, not all) younger players.

Paul, funnily enough, I recently had to do an audition for a comp in the UK. I played a number of Randy parts. I think the reason why people aren't perhaps recording themselves as much as they used to is because it actually requires time and effort to get it all setup and what not. Maybe I'll do some in the future, see if I can get the section going again :D

My problem is that I don't have good recording equipment. So it is not tight like a lot of other people that play for the camera's. I just have an I pad. It is ok. But you don't get as rich a sound as if I had pro tools or something like it with the right mic's too.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

dannyahansen wrote:
skezza wrote:

My problem is that I don't have good recording equipment. So it is not tight like a lot of other people that play for the camera's. I just have an I pad. It is ok. But you don't get as rich a sound as if I had pro tools or something like it with the right mic's too.

I don't either. I just use a crappy camera.