I find it very odd there is not one pro-recorded Diary show.

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Shockwave
Mass Poster

I find it very odd there is not one pro-recorded Diary show.

Post by Shockwave »

Sure we have sound board tapes and audience recordings, but they are no where near the audio quality of a pro recorded show. It seems on the blizzard tour they were doing at least one pro-recorded show per month from the different audio sources we have and know of from 1980-1981.

With such a huge production I find it hard to belive they didn't pro-record at least one show while randy was still with them. Ozzys voice was pretty good those first couple weeks of the tour especially opening night New Years eve. Since that show was the first Diary show with the full stage "A" show setup I would imagine there has to be something other than the audience recordng we have. At least a soundboard as well especially since they had to review everything still..

Even after that though, it's just odd there is nothing for months of pro-audio from 1982. The Atlanta show on March 17th would have been another good one to record. They had a couple weeks off and could and most likely had made quite a few changes after reviewing the first leg of the tour.

I really wonder what Tommy Aldridge has for soundboard tapes, maybe it's just the same ones we have? He may have tons of shows no one else has, something WR should try persuing from him.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Re: I find it very odd there is not one pro-recorded Diary s

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I'm not with you when you say Pro-recorded ?. As in Live recorded with a mobile recording unit ?. How many gigs have you heard from 1980 ?. I think one is out there but will we ever hear it ?. I've heard some amazing sound board recordings, but alas not from Ozzy and they are normally one off's which is probably what Tommy Aldridge has, i did read an interview of him saying he has a box full of recorded gigs. When Bernie Torme joined the band Tommy gave him a couple of tapes to learn the set mainly for the band jam etc.
LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

Post by LongRhoadsAhead »

I think i'm on the same page as you... you mean like professionally recorded sound? not video? and i agree i find it very strange as well. even footage wise, they had to have filmed at least ONE damn show! haha who knows though... i'd love to hear a pro recorded diary show. it'd be awesome. i really hope that day on the green was filmed. that'd be so damn awesome to see randy play an outdoor show. but anyways, i'm happy with what we have but would always love to have more haha
I went ahead and rode the white horse
P C M
Cool Member

Post by P C M »

Remember back in 87' I think, Ozzy said about Tribute "These are the only know recordings".....hmmm,then come's the 30th Anniversary.....more tracks/new stuff. I don't believe for one minute the O$bourne$ don't have more. If you know you are going to record a double live lp (most likely it was going to be at MSG),wouldn't you record a few dry runs knowing Ozzy and his vocals will need some tweaking/over dubbing at some point? :roll: Listen to the unedited version of SOTD then listen to SOTD. They knew and I'm sure they do have stuff (not sound check stuff mind you - Ozzy never showed for any). :lol:
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

They knew they had more stuff when they lied through their teeth in 87! We knew they were lying because we already had two pro recorded concerts because two had been recorded and played on the radio 'Cleveland & Montreal'.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Nick
Cool Member

Post by Nick »

Trigger wrote:They knew they had more stuff when they lied through their teeth in 87! We knew they were lying because we already had two pro recorded concerts because two had been recorded and played on the radio 'Cleveland & Montreal'.

Hey trigger it's been awhile man how's it going?

Why was the Montreal show never released ? That show is my favorite live show Randy's playing in iron man was wicked cool and dark

I personally think that there is more pro audio and soundboards than the osbournes are admitting to

Footage on the otherhand would be scarce but I beleieve that their is more footage out there. The sad question is will I or any person on this form be alive to see and hear it.
No1UNo
Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

There is a lot more live material. Remember when "Ozzy Live" was released as part of the DOAM Legacy CD for the 30th anniversary? Ozzy's producer/ engineer at the time, Kevin Churko, went on the record in an interview that in pulling that live CD together he listened to a lot of live shows from CBS / Sony's archives...I think I cut and pasted the interview in another thread.

Also, wasn't it reported in another interview that once Ozzy realized how good Randy was, he told Max Norman to always keep the tape rolling when Randy was recording?

For all intents and purposes, Ozzy is semi-retired and I expect that stuff will continue to be released every so often to keep Sharon's shopping accounts full. There will be less people interested in buying it because RR's legacy hasn't been the best managed one (like Hendrix's), but those of us here will shell out good money for the next live concert or the next snippet of grainy footage.

Down the line, I think there will be a tipping point when the Rhoads Estate and the Osbournes decide on how to handle the next chapter of RR's legacy - and some of those things rumored to be "out there" may actually see the light of day one way or another...either by a formal release by Ozzy or they will be leaked or shared once copyright and other legalities expire or can be maneuvered around.
LongRhoadsAhead
Cool Member

Post by LongRhoadsAhead »

No1UNo wrote:There is a lot more live material. Remember when "Ozzy Live" was released as part of the DOAM Legacy CD for the 30th anniversary? Ozzy's producer/ engineer at the time, Kevin Churko, went on the record in an interview that in pulling that live CD together he listened to a lot of live shows from CBS / Sony's archives...I think I cut and pasted the interview in another thread.

Also, wasn't it reported in another interview that once Ozzy realized how good Randy was, he told Max Norman to always keep the tape rolling when Randy was recording?

For all intents and purposes, Ozzy is semi-retired and I expect that stuff will continue to be released every so often to keep Sharon's shopping accounts full. There will be less people interested in buying it because RR's legacy hasn't been the best managed one (like Hendrix's), but those of us here will shell out good money for the next live concert or the next snippet of grainy footage.

Down the line, I think there will be a tipping point when the Rhoads Estate and the Osbournes decide on how to handle the next chapter of RR's legacy - and some of those things rumored to be "out there" may actually see the light of day one way or another...either by a formal release by Ozzy or they will be leaked or shared once copyright and other legalities expire or can be maneuvered around.
I definitely agree with this. Maybe the 35th anniversary will be the time that whatever is ACTUALLY out there comes out. There has been major speculation about footage over the years, but after my own personal research, the ones i would guess have the best chance of existing would be Capitol Theatre, Day on the Green, Entertainment Tonight, and that Birthday party thing that Bill Shelley archives has. Not Don Arden's party, but some random birthday party. No one really seems to know about it, not even Bill, other than the fact that it is a home movie and the band plays there and its a birthday party for someone and the quality is excellent. Those would be my guess as to our best bets for new material down the road. I think the Phoenix Bros footage will never be seen and maybe if we're lucky, there is footage from the show the night of the Beaumont Soundcheck. I think there could be a chance of that because of how once Ozzy's interview is over, the screen fades as if it is fading into more video, granted it could be a random video that happened to be on the same tape, it could be nothing, but i like to think there is some concert footage after that. Who knows... That was just my inquiry.
I went ahead and rode the white horse
Vtrockgod

Post by Vtrockgod »

Just playing Devil's Advocate.....could it be that the live recordings the Osbournes always had in mind was The Ritz and Bakersfield, California towards the end of the tour? And that no one could foresee that the tragedy was going to occur before those recordings?