RANDY RHOADS' Family Sues Margolis and Klein

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

RhoadsRockPhotographer
Cool Member

RANDY RHOADS' Family Sues Margolis and Klein

Post by RhoadsRockPhotographer »

RANDY RHOADS' Family Sues Over 'Failed' Documentary, 'Unauthorized' Book - Jan. 8, 2013

The estate and family of legendary OZZY OSBOURNE/QUIET RIOT guitarist Randy Rhoads have filed a lawsuit against the filmmakers and authors Peter Margolis and Andrew Klein, the publishing company Velocity Publishing Group, Inc., and co-author Steven Rosen in connection with a failed documentary film project on the life of Randy Rhoads and the recent publication of a book stemming from the defendants' involvement in the project. The complaint accuses the defendants of fraud, breach of contract, invasion of privacy, misappropriation of rights of publicity and making extensive and unauthorized use of personal information and photos from the documentary project.

In late 2012, Randy Rhoads' mother, Delores Rhoads, along with the late guitarist's siblings Kathryn Rhoads D'Argenzio and Kelle Rhoads, learned that a coffee table book titled "Randy Rhoads" had been released, co-authored by Andrew Klein and rock writer Steven Rosen with the assistance of Peter Margolis and Denny Anderson. The family obtained a copy of the book and was "both astonished and horrified to see that Klein and Margolis are holding themselves out as 'experts' on the life of Randy Rhoads, implying that they had the approval and cooperation of the Rhoads family, which they did not," according to a press release from the Rhoads family's publicist, Nancy B. Sayle of VQPR, LLC.

"On April 1, 2007, Margolis entered into an agreement with the Rhoads family to produce a single documentary film on the life of Randy Rhoads," the press release adds. "Margolis assured the family that the film would be completed within three years. From that point on, however, Margolis himself did not own any of the ideas and materials obtained or created in the production of the documentary, or any of the photos, videos or sound recordings collected for use in it, having assigned all of that to Dakota Films, the company financing and producing the documentary. Over the next several years, Margolis, Klein and others, working for Dakota Films, went forward with the project. Although Margolis reportedly claimed, as of early 2012, that the documentary was completed — 'in the can' — it has never been released. Individuals who saw portions of it during production have reported that it was 'edited poorly and unprofessionally,' and that the quality of the film was 'abysmal.' The Rhoads family was frustrated by what they considered the mediocre quality of Margolis' film, and by the fact that the 'official documentary' they had so long hoped for had never come to fruition. This has been especially painful for Randy's mother, Delores Rhoads, who is now in her nineties, and has spent the last three decades carefully preserving and advancing the legacy of her son."

The press release continues: "The family contends that Margolis and Klein have stolen the materials; they have no rights or ownership of, from the failed documentary. They used them in the book, in order to try to exploit Randy and the family for their own profit, while trying to establish themselves as 'authorities' on Randy Rhoads. They have falsely implied that they have the Rhoads family's support and cooperation for the unauthorized book. The family emphasizes that in no way did they authorize or participate in publication of the book, nor have they had anything more to do with either Margolis or Klein since the production of the unreleased documentary ended. Moreover, according to the family's complaint, the book contained more than fifty instances in which Klein and Margolis had used, without permission, photos, excerpts from interviews and other personal information that had been provided to them by the Rhoads family solely and exclusively for use in the authorized documentary film and for no other purpose."

Randy Rhoads died in a 1982 plane crash at age 25 while on tour with Osbourne.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m ... mID=184604
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Re: RANDY RHOADS' Family Sues Margolis and Klein

Post by randy will never die »

:roll: :roll: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: its says that the doc was not relesed due to poor edditing :roll: :roll: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
alborg
Cool Member

Post by alborg »

Better order the book quick...

Always drama in Randy land.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

I think the value just went up on the book......

such a shame a guy we all love so much is being treated so poorly
dinomite
Cool Member

Post by dinomite »

WOW! I really don't know how to feel about this. Since I'm in no way any sort of expert of Law, let alone US law, I'm not exactly sure what can come of this? I assume they are suing for money, but could it also mean that they can gain the rights to the documentary (assuming they don't atm) and release it themselves? I'm not 100% sure on the details of who owns what/has control over what happens.

While it will be interesting to see what plays out, It's still such a shame that Randy's Legacy gets treated like this time and time again.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

And the drama continues!!! It's always something!
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

Wow!so the family wont release anything but as soon as someone does they want to lawyer up and sue
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

I'd sue too.. If these are facts in the article, Peter is releasing bits of the documentary in another format... Which they didn't agreed to release

And indeed.. instead of the fans getting more Randy stuff, they get less than 'promised'
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Well the family didn't want to cooperate with the original documentary. The books, both the RR biog and Quiet Riot /dvd. Both products are well put together and are a fitting tribute to Randy. As far as the family sueing the authors, what can they sue them, for using Randy's image without the approval of the family. So every photographer has to get writing permission from the Rhoads estate every time Randy is featured in a magazine / book ?. The photographers own the material not the family. As far as the writting tex in the first book that has no connection to the Dakota documentary. Dakota own the material and could release it if they wished. I'm sure the Rhoads estate don't have a leg to stand on in court. It has been approved and all the material was forwarded from the photographers or fans with permission.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

What a nightmare.

When did Peter start the documentary, was it early 2009? People have waited patiently and hoped, but I think deep down we all knew this wasn't going to happen the way we all hoped, especially after 2011/2012.
For me, this was one of the last opportunities to get a real documentary to Randy Rhoads, authorized by the family, out into the open. He interviewed a lot of people. Gathered a large amount of material. I'm not saying everyone he interviewed was important, but he certainly interviewed those close to Randy.

I've spoken to various band members who worked with Randy and they aren't just sitting on a fortune dossing. Most of them are still working in bands, our touring or whatever. They might not have another opportunity to do interviews :(
camdenlp
Cool Member

Post by camdenlp »

I should've ordered sooner
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

That is who holds up the Randy stuff. I'm trying to order the book but nothing happens when I hit the submit order button. Maybe it was a cease and desist order.
mpavlic

Post by mpavlic »

Ugh. The sad thing is, I'm sure that a large number of people who were interviewed agreed thinking this was a one time, "I'll share my thoughts" and move on kind of deal. Now, some of those people might never agree to be interviewed again.
meadsie

Post by meadsie »

Last edited by meadsie on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meadsie

Post by meadsie »

We can kiss good bye to ever seeing anything about Randy from now on.

I understand the family are peed off - but they cannot "own" every photo of Randy - are they goign to sue everyone one on the internet?

I find this whole thing with Randy's legacy absurd.

There soon wont be any legacy left.

I am after 30years totally bored with all of this now and have lost interest in Rand'y Legacy.
Totally had enough with "he said this and he said that" " he owns this so we can't do this."
He was a very very talented guitarist and an all round decent guy. He was not a saint, a million dollar movie star.
He was a guitarist. End of.

Good luck to the Rhoads' family - Randy's legacy? what legacy? It was there....soon to be gone.

Pathetic.

p.s I don't mean to offend anyone by anything i have put - this is just one fan sharing his point of view and one fan for 30 years who has just had enough. I'll watch what i have and listen to what I have got.
Randy lives in my mind and playing -shame his family are killing off every opportunity to share his skills.

Richard