Facebook Post On Jersey Show

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Sky
Madman

Re: Facebook Post On Jersey Show

Post by Sky »

orion_damage wrote:
This is speaking in the perspective that I have acquired the footage independently. The initial run would have to be based on pre-orders. That way the purchases can go towards the materials needed in producing the discs, artwork and cases. Possibly even help with the amount spent to acquire the film.

It would be difficult though simply because you'd want to stay under the radar as much as possible so advertising could be tricky.

If I were one of the lucky ones that recorded the footage I would take the private route and sell to various forums. Once again through pre-orders but this way I keep the original footage and make some money on the side.

Just typing this hypothetically makes me feel a lawsuit coming but yeah I think you could break even if done right. :P
Ah, but would breaking even make you risk a lawsuit? :) As much as I'd like to believe that there are thousands of Randy's fans willing to part with their hard earned cash for new material, I don't honestly believe that's the case. I agree that the pre-order option is the only way forward though.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Sky wrote: Ah, but would breaking even make you risk a lawsuit? :) As much as I'd like to believe that there are thousands of Randy's fans willing to part with their hard earned cash for new material, I don't honestly believe that's the case. I agree that the pre-order option is the only way forward though.
I'm no fan of lawsuits :D

I'm curious as to how big of a fan base Randy has? I would happily spend $50 on a DVD of pro shot Randy footage. Of course I'd like there to be a fair amount of Randy and not just a camera man going between Rudy and Ozzy.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

orion_damage wrote:I'm curious as to how big of a fan base Randy has?
Not really that big. Andrew Klein's really nice looking book with lots of stuff we'd never seen didn't break even because not enough people bought the book.

In this day and age, at $50 bucks, you'd maybe sell 50 copies and everyone else would wait a week and download the torrent.

Sad but true.

Same thing will end up happening with Bob's tapes.

Do you all remember when Kelly Garni sold his scrapbook and bass to a Japanese collector? That's where the footage will end up because it won't be shared and Sharon won't have the resources to fight it.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
orion_damage wrote:I'm curious as to how big of a fan base Randy has?
Not really that big. Andrew Klein's really nice looking book with lots of stuff we'd never seen didn't break even because not enough people bought the book.

In this day and age, at $50 bucks, you'd maybe sell 50 copies and everyone else would wait a week and download the torrent.

Sad but true.

Same thing will end up happening with Bob's tapes.

Do you all remember when Kelly Garni sold his scrapbook and bass to a Japanese collector? That's where the footage will end up because it won't be shared and Sharon won't have the resources to fight it.

That's why I think it'd be best if a fan who has footage uploads it anonymously for a price. The owner could set a price and people try to reach that through a funding program. They could also have a set number of purchases in mind and with each purchase the customer gets an access code to download the footage. Uploading it wipes out any expenses in packaging and the seller would essentially get nothing but profit while keeping the footage.

Sure a torrent would be created shortly after but that's the nature of the beast in this day in age. Sure beats the footage just deteriorating without backup.

I'm not aware if there's ever been any footage up for sale but hopefully it's nothing too crazy if it were to come up.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

orion_damage wrote:

That's why I think it'd be best if a fan who has footage uploads it anonymously for a price. The owner could set a price and people try to reach that through a funding program. They could also have a set number of purchases in mind and with each purchase the customer gets an access code to download the footage. Uploading it wipes out any expenses in packaging and the seller would essentially get nothing but profit while keeping the footage.
Don't wish to put a downer on this because I think it's good to discuss this but I'm not sure that anonymity is possible these days. I think that it's way more complicated than the owner of a film making money out of the bands performance. It's about legalities and who has the right to profit from the film, and I don't just mean the band although you've left royalties and sync money out of the equation... Are you related to Sharon? :D
Seriously though, wouldn't you want a percentage of profits to go to the musicians and Randy's estate? Or is it only the person who acquired the film and the fans who should benefit?
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Sky wrote: Are you related to Sharon? :D

Seriously though, wouldn't you want a percentage of profits to go to the musicians and Randy's estate? Or is it only the person who acquired the film and the fans who should benefit?
I've always wondered what stuff Ozzy's kids have access to as far as Randy is concerned.

Funny you should mention that last statement. I wonder how much smoother of a process it'd be if a fan went through the Rhoads family to get footage out?

I believe that Ozzy and Sharon loved Randy and still care about him and his family so I would believe they'd have a soft spot for them.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

orion_damage wrote:

I've always wondered what stuff Ozzy's kids have access to as far as Randy is concerned.

Funny you should mention that last statement. I wonder how much smoother of a process it'd be if a fan went through the Rhoads family to get footage out?

I believe that Ozzy and Sharon loved Randy and still care about him and his family so I would believe they'd have a soft spot for them.
I understand what you're saying but I don't believe that Ozzy's kids have any say whatsoever in the business. I really hope that I'm around to see what happens in the near future though.
I get the impression that the Rhoads' family would like to keep Randy's name alive, and sites like UR definitely help, but I doubt that the Rhoads have any power as far as footage of old shows is concerned.
Blizzard Music/ Sharon own the rights to the songs and they have the final say in what can or can't be released. I'm not sure who paid for the recording of the Jersey show, but to avoid the crap legalities fans would probably have appeal to Sharon's better nature (if she has one) and hope that she has the decency to give fans what they want.
Unfortunately, I doubt that Randy's fan base is strong enough to raise the $ to get unseen material released, but I hope that I'm wrong.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Sky wrote:
orion_damage wrote:

I understand what you're saying but I don't believe that Ozzy's kids have any say whatsoever in the business. I really hope that I'm around to see what happens in the near future though.
I get the impression that the Rhoads' family would like to keep Randy's name alive, and sites like UR definitely help, but I doubt that the Rhoads have any power as far as footage of old shows is concerned.
Blizzard Music/ Sharon own the rights to the songs and they have the final say in what can or can't be released. I'm not sure who paid for the recording of the Jersey show, but to avoid the crap legalities fans would probably have appeal to Sharon's better nature (if she has one) and hope that she has the decency to give fans what they want.
Unfortunately, I doubt that Randy's fan base is strong enough to raise the $ to get unseen material released, but I hope that I'm wrong.

With Ozzy's kids I'm referring to seeing things that Ozzy has regarding Randy. Meaning stage clothes, picks or anything really. You always hear about the soundboard recordings of the Diary shows and whatnot.

Have there been any figures thrown around for unseen footage? I'm meaning concrete numbers and not "he said, she said" numbers.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I'm sure the kids get to see whatever they want. Why wouldn't they?

Ultimately, I believe the younger fans stand a better chance of seeing this footage because they'll still be around/interested when Sharon passes. Greed is a funny thing that isn't always passed on from generation to generation. Jack may be more approachable than his mom... or it may be the same thing for another 40 years...
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Paul Wolfe wrote:I'm sure the kids get to see whatever they want. Why wouldn't they?
My statement regarding what the kids get to see is more or less just fantasizing about the incredible things they probably have access too.
alborg
Cool Member

Post by alborg »

Paul Wolfe wrote:I'm sure the kids get to see whatever they want. Why wouldn't they?

Ultimately, I believe the younger fans stand a better chance of seeing this footage because they'll still be around/interested when Sharon passes. Greed is a funny thing that isn't always passed on from generation to generation. Jack may be more approachable than his mom... or it may be the same thing for another 40 years...
I believe that if there really were some outstanding OZZY & Randy footage available then some of it would have turned up in Jack's God Bless Ozzy documentary? A snippet of amazing footage in the documentary wouldn't have hurt anyone & the buzz created would have been positive for everyone. Maybe they don't have anything significant left in their possession unlike what the fans hope & think?
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

I still think the best way anything could get out there is to leak it .... then just say "hacked"...no one makes any money but also no one gets sued by sharon
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

sytharnia wrote:I still think the best way anything could get out there is to leak it .... then just say "hacked"...no one makes any money but also no one gets sued by sharon
It's a common misconception to think that because no one makes money you can't be sued. If Sharon owns copyright of the New Jersey film and it's made public without her permission, she'll sue.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Sky wrote:
sytharnia wrote:I still think the best way anything could get out there is to leak it .... then just say "hacked"...no one makes any money but also no one gets sued by sharon
It's a common misconception to think that because no one makes money you can't be sued. If Sharon owns copyright of the New Jersey film and it's made public without her permission, she'll sue.
Who would you even contact to try and get in touch with Sharon? Obviously there isn't a direct line but how would you find out the point of contact?
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

orion_damage wrote:
Sky wrote:
Who would you even contact to try and get in touch with Sharon? Obviously there isn't a direct line but how would you find out the point of contact?
Blizzard Music is one of her companies, she may not own this footage though. If every show was pro-shot at Capitol Theatre from '73 - '84 it sounds as if the filming had nothing to do with Jet. Don Arden/Jet still managed Ozzy in '81, not Sharon. Obviously, everyone was aware that the band was being filmed so it's odd that the footage has never been seen or used.